PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 Dovetail jig questions ???

Bill Huber
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I have had the jug for over a month and just have been a little intimidated with it, but this week I made myself get it off the shelf and learn to use it.

I think I have the box joints down and working out very well (first image).

I am having a little problem with though dovetails (second image).

By looking at this image to me I would say that I have the depth of the dovetail bit to deep and the width of the pins just not wide enough.

To fix the problem I should raise the bit the distance of the gap at the top of the pin and move the guide in the tighten direction.

Is my thinking correct on this, I have been going around and around on it and want to make sure my thinking is correct?

68229 68230

Andre Masse
07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Take a look at this podcast http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/04/30/podcast-20-machine-cut-dovetails/ which use the PC4212 dovetail jig.

Alex Berkovsky
07-18-2007, 8:22 AM
By looking at this image to me I would say that I have the depth of the dovetail bit to deep and the width of the pins just not wide enough.

To fix the problem I should raise the bit the distance of the gap at the top of the pin and move the guide in the tighten direction.

Is my thinking correct on this, I have been going around and around on it and want to make sure my thinking is correct?Bill,
AS far as the width of the pins is concerned, are you using the correct size guide bushings and bits? Is your guide bushing centered in the router base?

Bill Huber
07-18-2007, 8:41 AM
Take a look at this podcast http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/04/30/podcast-20-machine-cut-dovetails/ which use the PC4212 dovetail jig.

Thanks Andre, that did help and was a really good video.

Went back at it again after I had watched it and got it. My problem was the bit was just to deep, the depth should be the width of the stock pulse the width of the template. After I got that adjusted correctly it all came together.

Thanks again..

Brian Penning
07-18-2007, 9:29 AM
Bill,
If you can, get 2 dedicated routers for the jig.(I have 2 690s) One for the pins and 1 for the tails. Saves a heckuva lot of time in adjustments.
Though that didn't help me one time I was making DTs - I....er...um...grabbed the same router for both!

Bill Huber
07-18-2007, 9:36 AM
Bill,
If you can, get 2 dedicated routers for the jig.(I have 2 690s) One for the pins and 1 for the tails. Saves a heckuva lot of time in adjustments.
Though that didn't help me one time I was making DTs - I....er...um...grabbed the same router for both!

Thanks.....

Just doing the test cuts and practicing I could see that really fast. I am going to get the small template for the jig and the things I want to build are going to be small so I maybe able to use my little Bosch for one of the bits, like the straight cut cut and make more then one passe.