PDA

View Full Version : Photos on metal military type dogtags?

Ray Mighells
07-17-2007, 9:01 PM
I've been asked if I can engrave photos on metal military style dog tags. I looked into Laser Bits and couldn't find any metal tags of the type, and I'm presuming a chemical treatment would be required. Will someone please tell me what I need and where to get it. Helpful hints, tips and tricks would also be welcomed. I realize that I won't be able to actually engrave but suitable marking will serve the purpose. Thank you all.

Stephen Beckham
07-17-2007, 9:26 PM
Ray,

I'm at Fort Knox and I get questions about the dog tags all the time. I've never tried the original dogtags because I don't want to open a can of worms since there are so many providers and materials used to make those.

I've taken two options - one is to get the Annodized Aluminumumunum. They do quite well with photos and they can be worn with regular dogtags. You can get them from Laser Bits or Chewbacka (spelling).

The other is stainless steel with Cermark. I've stayed with the cheaper of the two options for me and the customer. Photo attached in PhotoGrave Help Thread... If you need help - give me a shout.

The third option I just remembered is to buy Roland's Metazza MPX-70 (or the older MPX-60) that will imprint on any kind of metal surface. It's basically an old Dot Matrix Printer head with carbon tipped print head. It puts tiny dimples on any surface. Heads wear out and you have to replace the heads $350ish with a life expectancy of 3600 plates (Brass coated, less for harder metals)... that swayed my decision. Kind of like that Tube Expectancy that keeps popping up...

Steve

Mike Hood
07-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Dye sublimation is another option:

http://www.dye-sublimation-products.com/sublimation-store/photos/TagTrimPat.jpg
Blanks can be had for around 65 cents (including chains)

I can sub at 9600 DPI and be under a buck each.