PDA

View Full Version : a couple of new things

Wally Wenzel
07-17-2007, 7:17 PM
I had some time this weekend so turned out a couple of things, the longworth chuck is a very handy thing to have around.i know my photography needs a lot of work but i have only had the camera for a couple of weeks ,other critques[sp] are welcome. Wally

Wally Wenzel
07-17-2007, 7:21 PM
for some reason my info for the pics didn't show up, they are a small box elder bowl,two maple goblets, and the longworth chuck which really works great. the bowl is about 5x1 1/2 high. thanks for looking

Bonnie Campbell
07-17-2007, 7:38 PM
Cool! I thought first looking that they were some kind of acrylic material. Did you die them or is that natural coloring?

Bob Hallowell
07-17-2007, 7:59 PM
Walley those are very nice but I am really interested in the chuck that's really nice.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Nice work Wally! I'm with Bonnie as first glance at your bowl I thought it was some type of corian. Very nice coloration! Really like your chuck - any pointers on making one?

Neal Addy
07-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Beautiful work, Wally. I like the bowl. It may just be the pic but it almost looks like alabaster.

Wally Wenzel
07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Those goblets are from a maple tree from my front yard, the wood was very white and turned wet and DNA and then finished turned with wipe on poly gloss finish. The box elder bowl also was very white and done the same way. Steve do a search for the longworth chuck, there are a couple tutorials there, the only thing i did different was to make it a 6 hole instesd of 4, better holding power i think, i also made the buttons myself i turned them 1" long 1" wide tapered to 3/4" at the bottom and then dipped them in a canof plasti dip, they got about 3 coats, i think it gives them a better grip. I believe the plasti dip is avaible at most home center it is what they use to coat plier handles etc.
Wally

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2007, 1:14 PM
Wally they look mighty fine. Well done.

Mike A. Smith
07-18-2007, 3:29 PM
Turning the buttons and dipping them is a great idea! The chair or cane tips are kind of wobbly if you don't fill them. Turning your own lets you control the exact shape you want. I like it!