PDA

View Full Version : Product Marketing...

Mark Koenig
07-17-2007, 3:42 PM
We have been up and running for only a few months now… Been getting work mostly by word-of-mouth and local shops… Our first show was last weekend and judging by the interest would have expected a few orders by now… Are the shows worth the time and expense or a waste of time?

We need to start expanding to a larger market in the larger cities…

1) Any suggestions for marketing in a “cold” area?
2) What types of businesses do you target for sales?
3) What kind of promotional items do you take?

Any of your success stories and strategies would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks Mark…

Joe Pelonio
07-17-2007, 5:14 PM
In many cases you will find a lot of interest at shows, but unless they actually buy it's really more "politeness" or curiosity than real interest. While we don't sell at many shows we do go to them all the time, and only the really unique, yet inexpensive items sell well. At a local one we did for Christmas we sold out all of the $3-6 items and were left with most of the $10-12 items.

I'm still doing a lot more production work than premade items for sale, but in my experience a good place to start is the people selling advertising specialties that buy everything rather than making it themselves. Offer your laser services and show what it can do that is different from the usual screenprinted items that they normally sell. Two of these are among my best customers (wholesale).

Mark Koenig
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input Joe... Do you just look up promotional companies in your area and make an appointment? What is the best contact approach?

Have you ever tried soliciting tile and flooring places? Was even thinking of contacting local fire and police departments for awards...

Thanks Mark.

P.S> Anyone have any other ideas???

Phyllis Meyer
07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Mark,

I sent you a personal message. Yes, go to the police, fire departments, go everywhere you want business from and take them samples. We are still newbies...15 months into this. We have done one show...it has brought business but not enough to justify going back. As far as the fairs, and other small shows we will not for many reasons.

Will be happy to answer any questions and if you feel more comfortable in a personal message, that's great too.

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Joe Pelonio
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input Joe... Do you just look up promotional companies in your area and make an appointment? What is the best contact approach?

Have you ever tried soliciting tile and flooring places? Was even thinking of contacting local fire and police departments for awards...

Thanks Mark.

P.S> Anyone have any other ideas???
Actually one of the promotional people came to me, the others I did contact, by calling, explaining what I could do and asking them to stop by the shop which they did (They all worked out of their homes). I did also talk to a couple of floor places and both liked the idea of engraving tiles but never ordered anything.

As for Fire/Police you are better off contacting the purchasing department of the local citites, who usually handle that for them.

Mike Null
07-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I do fire, police and cities. When you get one ask for references. Always take some ideas with you it even if they're from a suppliers catalog.

Every school uses engraving. Check with the secretary also the athletic directors and the band directors.

When you're out driving check the industrial parks. Any place which has a lot of cars in the lot probably has cubicle offices and they need nameplates and signs.

Phyllis Meyer
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Mark,

I do agree with Joe about the purchasing departments! I forget we live in a town of 8,500 (where everyone knows everyone...), it worked for us to contact some friends in the police and fire departments and they in turn said "hey these guys can do plaques".

I look at everywhere I go throughout my day as an opportunity to sell our products. I love the marketing aspect and learn each day from our customers and folks we all come in contact with. Good luck with your marketing and this forum is great for so much information.

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)