PDA

View Full Version : Got it home(W&H Moder)

John Miliunas
01-18-2004, 10:15 PM
First off, thanks much to all the folks with the great replies on my custom knife source inquiry. I have a few to check out, now.

If you remember the other slug line of the original thread, it had something to do with "friendship". Well, here again, that came into play. The W&H was located in a shop, which happened to be literally in the woods on my buddy's property. Not much more than an overgrown path to the doorway of the place and one could only park about 30' away from it. NO way I could do it alone, short of tearing the unit completely down and picking up the parts. I think the high temp for the day was around 9, so not a real good day for that! Anyhow, Frank, my good friend AND aspiring woodworker himself, lent me a hand getting the beast into my truck. Once home and within just a couple feet of the shop door, I handled it solo with little problem.

I've taken a few shots of it to both, share here on the Creek and keep as the "before" pics. After seeing the pics, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking what I did: "Someone rode that poor thing real hard and put her away wet!" You'll see what I mean from the pics.

The first is a general shot of the unit. Not real pretty. Rust everywhere and the switch was shot, so he just hot-wired it and plugged it in as he used it. More minor is it needs a new belt and outfeed roller.

The second shows the cutter, cutter-head and a closer shot of the ways. Did I mention this tired, old pup is a bit rusty?

The third pic is the bed and the lower part of the ways. Polished metal isn't supposed to look like that, is it?!

Finally, a piece of the molding in question. This is what started it all. It's a rather poor shot of the profile view of the base molding. The whole molding is 6-5/8" tall, though we're going to knock that down closer to 6", mainly because that's all my jointer will handle.

Needless to say, tomorrow I will be contacting W&H in search of a manual and a parts/price list, as well as a catalog of their stock profiles. Wish me luck in my first machine restore project and thanks for looking!

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Heck John, that ain't so bad. I have seen MUCH worse resurrected from the ashes. A lot of elbow grease and a little TLC is all that baby needs to be perking right along again. It is a shame that equipment such as this was allowed to fall into such condition. I read the original post, and I understand how it happened though. I have a sneaking suspicion that this unit will be yours to keep after you put in the work involved to restore it. I know I wouldn't have the heart or guts to take it back after you restored it to it's former glory. Good luck John, please document in pictures the process along the journey.......I would really like to see the transition back to life! Nice machine! :D

Bob Lasley
01-18-2004, 10:29 PM
John,

I've certainly seen alot worse brought back to life. I think you've got yourself a winner there. Keep us posted.

Bob

Todd Burch
01-18-2004, 10:46 PM
I've fixed sicker dogs than that before!! But, it's still not a cake walk. However, your efforts will pay dividends, 'cuz I'll be thanking you for the next several years after I pick it up next fall. (you should have it fully functional by then...)

Todd "Burch" :)

John Weber
01-18-2004, 11:29 PM
John,

The machine will come back to life, take lots of pics, I'm sure you will have it looking and running as good as new soon. The top of your profile kind of looks like part of one of these upside down - I think:

http://www.woodline.com/ProdImages/2011.jpg

Jim Becker
01-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Haa...a little TLC and that puppy will be spewing out moldings all day long if you ask it to. And if you paint it red, your buddy will think you replace his old one with a brand new one! :D

Keep us posted [sic] with progress pics!

Todd Burch
01-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Jim, what does "[sic]" mean? Todd.

Jim Becker
01-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Jim, what does "[sic]" mean?

I'm using it to indicate a play on words...in that example the word "posted" is indicating both "keep us appraised" and "post pictures". Yes, I'm a strange fellow...LOML tells me that all the time. :D

Lloyd Frisbee
01-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim, what does "[sic]" mean? Todd.

Usually means "said in context"

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 3:33 AM
Your the man for the job John now that the Pack won't be taking up your time. Nice Gloat and a good friend.

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 8:37 AM
Your the man for the job John now that the Pack won't be taking up your time. Nice Gloat and a good friend.

Got that right, Tyler! Don't really have a "second" favorite team. Heck, never even turned the shop TV "on" yesterday! Just loaded the CD player up with some nice, soothing "Rush" and went at it! :cool:

Mike Cutler
01-19-2004, 9:12 AM
Nice Machine John. I don't see evidence of heavy pitting in the photos,and the machine basically looks to be intact. I think you'll be amazed at how easily that rust bloom will clean off. Those machines are little beasts and were made to "Take a Lickin' and Keep on Tickin' " based on my observations at the Woodworks show last year. I believe you will have a fine machine when you are finished restoring it. Good Luck on the restoration and the moulding project.

Tyler Howell
01-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Sooooooo John!!!!!!

What else does your buddy have back there in the woods?????;)
I've got 4WD and a chain! Could get a lot of restoration done during these cold months..... for friendship sake.:D

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Sooooooo John!!!!!!

What else does your buddy have back there in the woods?????;)
I've got 4WD and a chain! Could get a lot of restoration done during these cold months..... for friendship sake.:D

Well, my fine "Purple and Gold" friend, you'd be surprised! There are a few "good" items left in there, but Don is a bit "weird" about some stuff. He offered me 6" jointer, but it's an "el cheapo" and, with the way the motor is configured on it, the thing is about as wide as it is long. Pass. There is an old Rockwell planer (12 or 13", I think), which can probably be salvaged, but he's never made mention of that, either. One real prize left in there is a table saw. Actually, two table saws. An old Rockwell contractor saw and the other...well....It happens to be a vintage Unisaw! Yeah, I tried real, REAL hard for that one, but finally had to break down and get the Bridgewood. *IF* it should ever come to pass, I would make the room for that puppy! I would also make the room for a few other things he has in there, mainly hundreds, if not thousands, of board feet of hardwoods! No kiddin'! Cherry and Oak primarily, but I also spotted some Walnut! It would be worth hanging a lean-to on the side of my shop just for it! But, like I said; Don is a little strange that way. He'll hang on to stuff for reasons I know not and even take great pains to avoid the subject. Then, out of the blue, come up with stuff like, "Hey, if you can use it, go get it." There's absolutely no pushing the man into doing *anything*! He doesn't need the $$, so it's not even a matter of, "Hey, I'll give you "X" amount of $$ for "Y" amount of wood." Like I said earlier on in the previous thread, I think something traumatic contributed to his losing total interest in the shop and I just feel very, very fortunate and privileged to have acquired what I have! I'm not about to "push" the man. Besides, he's bigger than me, as well as in better shape and could easily beat the snot outta' me! :cool:

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 1:45 PM
Usually means "said in context"

I always this it was used for quoting text with a misspelling in it:

"This engine is the kat's [sic] meow!"

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 1:56 PM
John,

I'm sure you'll have fun with this "little" project. I love taking stuff apart, cleaning it, making it look/work like new, and putting it back together again.

The real benefit is you'll know the machine inside and out. And, darn it, I was hoping you'd go for the MM...wanted to hear your thoughts. :)

Walt Pater
01-19-2004, 6:54 PM
John, have you considered duplicating that molding in two pieces, the bottom part as square stock and the cyma piece as a cap rail/ back band? If your walls have the occasional bulge or bend, having a more flexible cap on top of tall baseboard will close a lot of gaps. Would also solve your jointer problem. It's also an easier cope on inside corners. Just a thought Walt

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 7:35 PM
John, have you considered duplicating that molding in two pieces, the bottom part as square stock and the cyma piece as a cap rail/ back band? If your walls have the occasional bulge or bend, having a more flexible cap on top of tall baseboard will close a lot of gaps. Would also solve your jointer problem. It's also an easier cope on inside corners. Just a thought Walt

"...occasional bulge or bend"? No way! NOT in *this* place! Fact is, I have to believe that each and *every* wall has a bulge or bend in it! :mad: That is, actually, my main concern. The inside or outside corners aren't as much a concern, as TLOML also found corner pieces at the same place! They attach at the corners and stand proud of the molding. I'm still working out the logistics of that one, but the overall thickness of the molding is a concern, as it's not going to be very bendable! You're right... A 2-piece system would solve part of that issue, as well as the jointer limitations. OK, something else to consider! Thanks much for the tip, Walt! :cool:

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 8:33 PM
Walt,

Excellent points. There is an art to putting up molding...espcially crown molding and have it come out nice and tight.

Jim Becker
01-19-2004, 9:02 PM
"...occasional bulge or bend"? No way! NOT in *this* place! Fact is, I have to believe that each and *every* wall has a bulge or bend in it!

You mean like this???

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 9:51 PM
You mean like this???

Yeah, that's it! Just like that! Hey, maybe the builders of our respective houses were related! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-19-2004, 9:58 PM
Yeah, that's it! Just like that! Hey, maybe the builders of our respective houses were related!

The sad thing is that I didn't see the wavy-wavy thing until the drywall went up. The T&G that was on the walls previously must have been shimmed or maybe one of the 2x3 studs in that wall moved during demolition. Whomever invented caulk was my hero here!

Wes Bischel
01-19-2004, 11:23 PM
A few years ago, while doing market research, a wise old contractor from New Jersey - with the accent to go with it said:

"A little caulk, a little paint, makes a job what it ain't!"

Seems I can't remember the product concepts we were discussing, but I sure do remember the quote! :p

Wes

PS: John, over on OWWM there is are a couple good articles on removing rust from machines.

Eddie Severt
01-20-2004, 6:19 AM
John,
You ought to work with my 160 year old log house. Back then they made them wider at the bottom than the top so they wouldn't collapse during construction. What this means now is that to have plumb walls for remodelling, you slab on 2x4's tapered to correct the lean. Some walls have studs added 8" from the bottom and 1" thick on top. Makes for good insulation, but very thick window sills (over 1'). And straight, whoever built this had never seen a level or even a string. My crown molding, in places, looks like a theme park ride, even after scribing to fit. You should have heard the contractors complaining while putting up siding! Makes for some good stories!
Eddie

John Miliunas
01-20-2004, 7:50 AM
John,
You ought to work with my 160 year old log house. Back then they made them wider at the bottom than the top so they wouldn't collapse during construction. What this means now is that to have plumb walls for remodelling, you slab on 2x4's tapered to correct the lean. Some walls have studs added 8" from the bottom and 1" thick on top. Makes for good insulation, but very thick window sills (over 1'). And straight, whoever built this had never seen a level or even a string. My crown molding, in places, looks like a theme park ride, even after scribing to fit. You should have heard the contractors complaining while putting up siding! Makes for some good stories!
Eddie

Wow Eddie, I can't hardly imagine what that must be like. Our first home wasn't that old, but old enough where they used *real* 2x4's and even with just that difference, any retrofitting was a royal PITA! :cool:

Dominic Greco
01-21-2004, 3:03 PM
John,
Read my article on restoring flooded power tools in the Articles Section of SMC for some tips on getting rid of all that rust.

Be sure to look at the "before" picture of my old tablesaw. It makes your molder look downright pretty in comparison! :)

BTW, NICE catch! :D

See ya,
Dominic