PDA

View Full Version : checking a 45 degree angle

Steven Bolton
07-17-2007, 1:14 PM
Hi:

I know how to check and see if a square is giving you a true 90 degree angle. Put the square on a board and draw a line and then turn it over and draw another one and if they are parallel your square is true.

By what about a 45 degree angle. Are there any nice little tests like the above mentioned one?

Thanks

S Bolton

Gary Keedwell
07-17-2007, 1:28 PM
Gee, I don't know. Maybe try to put two 45's into the 90? Wixey gage? Bring to machine shop and put on a Comparator?:confused: ;) ( only kidding on the last one):D

Gary K.

Andrew Williams
07-17-2007, 3:11 PM
I assume you are checking a combination square or something and not checking a 45 degree cut of wood... If it were wood, you could simply make two 45 degree cuts, butt them together and check for 90 degrees. If it is a tool, then you can check it with a dial comparator, like the TS Aligner Jr.

James Phillips
07-17-2007, 3:18 PM
Get a board that you KNOW has parallel edges. Mark a 45 from both sides. They should be parallel. It is easier to tell if you draw them on top of each other. Use a dial caliper or some other tool to be sure the edges are parallel, otherwise this will not work

Nissim Avrahami
07-17-2007, 4:05 PM
Hi Steven

If I would try to explain, it would take me 3000 words and still you would not understand nothing from my broken English.

So I went to the garage and "translated" it to "International" language... :)

Draw one line, turn and draw the second line, take your best 90° triangle, put it on the lines and you will see it.

If you have two 45° triangles just push them to the board and put the triangle between them.

niki

Bob Feeser
07-17-2007, 5:31 PM
Hi Steven

If I would try to explain, it would take me 3000 words and still you would not understand nothing from my broken English.

So I went to the garage and "translated" it to "International" language... :)

Draw one line, turn and draw the second line, take your best 90° triangle, put it on the lines and you will see it.

If you have two 45° triangles just push them to the board and put the triangle between them.

niki

International Suits me Just Fine. :) The ultimate in engineering is when it is reduced to simplicity.
Have you ever given anyone a riddle, and they can't figure it out, then you give them an answer, and they feel like they have known it all along?
"Only the expressions are original, the thoughts lie within us all." BF

Lee DeRaud
07-17-2007, 5:42 PM
The ultimate in engineering is when it is reduced to simplicity.
Have you ever given anyone a riddle, and they can't figure it out, then you give them an answer, and they feel like they have known it all along?Old joke:
Q. Why do engineers have short necks and flat foreheads?
A. When you ask them a question they <insert exaggerated shrug>
When you tell them the answer they <insert hard forehead slap>

(Of course that applies more to hardware guys than software guys. :cool: )

John Stevens
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Have you ever given anyone a riddle, and they can't figure it out, then you give them an answer, and they feel like they have known it all along?

Here's an apocryphal story along these lines. The dome of St. Peter's Basilica was designed by the artist Michelangelo, but the common belief at that time was that it would be impossible to build a dome that size. He pitches the design to the committee in charge of financing the building, but they tell him to take a hike, it's impossible.

He tells them he has a secret new design for the dome. They don't believe him, so they ask him to tell them the secret. He refuses--"if I show you, you'll say the idea was obvious, and you'll refuse to pay me for my design." To illustrate his point, he pulls out a raw egg and challenges them all to stand it on its end. Most of the patrons say "that's impossible." A few try to stand the egg on its end, but of course they can't do it. So finally they say, "okay, let's see you do it."

He takes the egg in his fist, points one end down toward the conference table, and smashes it so the bottom is nice and flat. As the yolk is oozing out all over the table, the patrons start shouting, "well we could have done that!" and Michelangelo replies, "sure, that's what you say now that you've seen me do it. Same with my secret design for the dome." They gave him the job, and the rest was history. Or so the story goes.

Regards,

John

Noah Katz
07-18-2007, 4:01 PM
"simply make two 45 degree cuts, butt them together and check for 90 degrees."

I find it easier to check for straightness than squareness, so I cut the 45 in the middle of a board with parallel edges, flip one of the pieces over, push the ends together, and check for straightness.

Bob Feeser
07-18-2007, 5:20 PM
Lee and John, great stories. I enjoyed hearing them. Thanks for the follow up. :) :)