PDA

View Full Version : Chris Schwarz Workbench Seminar at LN

Dave Anderson NH
07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Last Saturday I drove the 150 miles up to Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Warren Maine to attend a 4 hour workbench design seminar presented by Chris Schwarz the Editor-in Chief of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines. Over the years Chris has built 13 benches in an assortment of styles and has spent considerable time researching historical designs and how they effected woodworker methods of plying their craft.

I arrived early at about 9:15 for a 10AM start time and spent the slack time drinking coffee and eating pastry while perusing the offerings in the showroom. The cash register was open and a few folks were taking advantage of the 10% discount offered to seminar attendees. (We won't discuss what I spent) Promptly at 10 Tom Lie-Nielsen intorduced Chris and the show began. The first hour was spent primarily on a historical perspective showing slides of benches from Egyptian time up through today. All of this was carried on within a context of how clamping and work holding designs influenced how people carried out their tasks. The commentary was interspersed with Chris' often wry and opinionated observations. While all of the seminar was from Chris' point of view and expressed his opinons, these were well founded observations based upon a lot of time spent both on the research and in actually using 3 historical reproduction benches he has built.

Later parts of the seminar went on to cover how to select lumber for benches and why certain choices are good, better, or alternately bad. Chris put forth his "kitchen test" criteria for whether a bench will effectively hold most common types of work. Simply put, a bench must be able to hold a cabinet door so that the face, edges, and the whole door can be clamped effectively. It must also be able to hold a drawer for joining,planing and fitting and also be able to handle stock up to several feet in length for face, edge, and end grain planing. While my explanation is an oversimplification of a demonstration done with a bench and the appropriate props, hopefully it contans the kernel of the idea.

Other topics discussed and considered were vise choices, holdfast choice, placement, and use, and Chris' latest bench, the Holtzapffel design from the mid 1800s. The Holtzapffel was the bench on display and it was used as the main prop for most of the day. I've included some pictures below of this very effective design. While folks were asked to bring pictures and plans for benches they used and/or were interested in building, few did. Interestingly I had left my plans for a new bench on the kitchen counter at home and during the day sketched hurriedly so that I could have something for Chris to discuss and critique for me. If the ultimate test of how smart a man is can be distilled into how much he agrees with your views.... Chris is a genius.;)

This review is obviously inadequate to describe the proceedings of a 4+ hour event. Every conceivable topic related to bench design and its relationship to use was covered. I was entirely satisfied that the time was both worthwhile and well spent. I came away with a lot of new knowledge and a few new useful insights. This seminar and the new book Chris has written and which will be available in October eliminate the large void left by other publications. While many other bench books cover design and construction and show plenty of pretty pictures, NONE adequately address benches in actual use. It's almost as if the other authors are writing a coffee table book.

If you are building or plan to build a bench and this seminar is offered anywhere ever again, Go to it. You would do yourself a great disservice by missing it.

James Carmichael
07-17-2007, 1:05 PM
Somehow I suspect Chris will not be making a Texas tour, but here's the event on his blog.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/

Louis Bois
07-17-2007, 1:39 PM
Thanks for the summary Mr. Anderson...and I will reiterate that the material in Chris' book covers areas that are often neglected by others. It is a very worthwhile read if you are even toying with the idea of building your own bench. I would give away more on the content, but I don't want to get in trouble.:rolleyes:

Andrew Homan
07-17-2007, 1:56 PM
Every conceivable topic related to bench design and its relationship to use was covered.

Hi Dave,
I've been wondering what Chris said about sourcing components -- specifically, the (blue) Record-style vises, as well as the 2" (or 2 1/2" ?) wooden vise screws?
Thanks for your write-up of the event -- sounds like it was worthwhile.
-Andy

Mike K Wenzloff
07-17-2007, 2:36 PM
Last Saturday I drove the 150 miles up to Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Warren Maine to attend a 4 hour workbench design seminar presented by Chris Schwarz the Editor-in Chief of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines. ...
That simple paragraph contain suckage on several levels. Being that close, going to TLN's, meeting up with Chris, and of course the topic of the day.

Congrats for going...I think :)

Take care, Mike

Dave Anderson NH
07-17-2007, 2:47 PM
Hi Andrew, The tail vise he used on the Holtzapffel bench was one of Lee Valleys and he said he's been happy with it.

Hi Mike W, And when I was a kid I used to think that "you suck" was an insult.:D It was indeed a very fine day. I hadn't seen Tom L-N for 6 months and hadn't been up to Warren for a year.

James Carmichael
07-17-2007, 2:58 PM
Thanks for the summary Mr. Anderson...and I will reiterate that the material in Chris' book covers areas that are often neglected by others. It is a very worthwhile read if you are even toying with the idea of building your own bench. I would give away more on the content, but I don't want to get in trouble.:rolleyes:

I thought the book wasn't out yet:confused:

Dave Anderson NH
07-17-2007, 3:43 PM
The book isn't out yet James, but Louis is on the special list I suspect.

Jim Nardi
07-17-2007, 8:14 PM
It was indeed a very fine day. I hadn't seen Tom L-N for 6 months and hadn't been up to Warren for a year.[/QUOTE]
Dave,

Sounds like a nice vacation to me. Cool post I liked the pics of the benches alot. Thanks Jim

Kevin Adams
07-17-2007, 8:23 PM
Dave--

Any discussion with Tom L-N as to whether they may decide to offer a different style or two of benches themselves in the future? I was just curious if all the interest in Chris' benches (like the Nicholson and the Holtzapffel) might get Tom to update his offerings? After all, it seems like Brian Boggs had a bit of influence on him with his spokeshaves and now shaving horse, too.

Thanks for the write-up and photos. I'm actually heading up to Maine next week for business of all things and have already set aside a good half day to roam L-N. Summer wouldn't be the same without a trek to Warren and the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship...OK and maybe just one lobster roll!

Take care,
Kevin

Dave Anderson NH
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi Kevin, Surprisingly I didn't discuss the benches with with Tom and I really don't have any idea whether or not he's interested in making the Holtzapffel bench or the Nicholson. I think that right now he's more concerned about improving deliveries on the current styles he produces, but that's just a guess. Ultimately it will become a business decision on his part; is there enough potential business and profit available to make additional styles and what kind of resources would have to be allocated? With the growth of L-N over the last few years just managing growth itself has become a major job there. since you're going up there to Warren and Rockland in the next few weeks, why not ask Tom himself? He's always quite accessible.

Mark Singer
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Dave,
Excellent review.....bebches are really the most used an important tool and very often are not considered for their true importance. Chris knows his stuff an especially benches! Wish I was there....

Kevin Adams
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Dave. I always have fun asking what new things are coming out and if there are any "secret lists" floating around for tools that could be years away, if ever. I think I put my name on the list for the router planes about 3 or even 4 years ago...and then had forgotten all about it when I received an email from them.

And you are right about Tom being very hands-on and accessible. I remember the first time I visited quite a few years ago and was standing around when Tom came bounding through and ran up the stairs two at a time. He was on a mission for something! Anyway, I looked at the guy that was working there at the time and said "was that who I thought it was?" It has been fun to watch their growth and to still know that Tom is very much at the heart of things. I don't think he has slowed down one bit. And even though they have grown, they are still like a family. Tom has even done a little custom work for me when asked.

Take care,
Kevin