PDA

View Full Version : I do actually turn from time to time...

Bill Grumbine
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Greetings all

I have been doing some turning, even a lot of turning, but not much worth posting. I have been doing a lot of demo pieces, teaching pieces, etc, and even some duplicating of spindles, but here is a recent piece that is actually artsy. I did not even get a chance to take my own picture of it, since it was destined for delivery and Ron Sardo was kind enough to take it with him while he was here for the picnic. He also did the picture for me, so all that credit goes to him.

This is a piece of Japanese maple given to me by a student. It was unusual in size, being about 5 1/2" square and with no pith in it. As you can see it is slightly spalted. It is also very curly, although that does not come out in the picture as well. The collar is ebony. It is finished with Bush Oil and buffed.

Thanks for taking a look.

Bill

TYLER WOOD
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
OHHHHH, we get to critique the pro!!! YEAH!!!:cool:

Well actually probably not seeing that the piece is gorgeous. I love the simplicity of the form. The scale and proportion of the grain to the work is dead on. The shape fits perfectly with the grain, makes it look like marble. Wonderful piece, I'm sure the owner of this fine piece is just drooling for it to arrive. Well done!

Bernie Weishapl
07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Well Bill it is beautiful. I really like the wood and simple form. Somebody is getting a nice piece.

Kim Ford
07-17-2007, 1:38 PM
Bill; Nice work, thanks for posting.

Colin MacDiarmid
07-17-2007, 2:47 PM
All one can say its lovelly work

Ron Sardo
07-17-2007, 3:02 PM
Well I have to say, that picture doesn't do it justice. I oughta know.

Bob Hallowell
07-17-2007, 7:52 PM
Bill,
That's a real nice peice. Sounds Like you guys had a good time at the five barns. I met one of your friends ant the Boalsburg arts festival. He says he has some of his wood stored in one of them there barns of yours. Real nice guy and beautiful work he did alot of platters with shells inlaid.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Beautiful work Bill! Great form - wood looks amazing!

Patrick Taylor
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Beautiful! With that photo angle, does anyone else see a left ear in the spalting lines? :)

Chris Barton
07-18-2007, 7:37 AM
Very nice Bill. We don't see your work often enough.

Paul Heely
07-18-2007, 7:39 AM
Very nice Bill. I like the figure in that wood.

Bill Grumbine
07-18-2007, 8:47 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Bob, that was one of my best friends who also happens to be a turner. We argue about who is the better turner. I say it is him and he says it is me. :rolleyes:

Patrick, now that you mention it, it could be an ear. My first impression was the head of a T-Rex with a huge eeville eye staring out of it!

Chris, I will endeavor to post more. Thank you.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Bill

Tom Sherman
07-18-2007, 4:56 PM
Bill that's a wonderful piece, nice to have one of your recent pieces posted.

Pete Jordan
07-18-2007, 5:22 PM
Keep them coming Bill! It is always nice to see the way it is supposed to be.

Jim Becker
07-18-2007, 8:24 PM
A very nice form, Bill...great use of that blank!

Andy Livingston
07-18-2007, 8:52 PM
Bill,

Great piece. Just beautiful. I also wanted to say thanks for putting out such great videos. I got both and have really enjoyed them. They are extremely well done, fun to watch and incredibly informative. Thanks!!!!!