PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Delta Precision

Tom Henderson2
07-17-2007, 1:04 AM
As most of you know, Delta has been running a teaser "Countdown to Precision" clock on their web site for several months now.

Well, the countdown approaching the 3 day point.

Any new insight into what the grand announcement will be? Some time ago there was speculation that they were coming out with a new Unisaw model with riving knife, etc.

Anybody heard anything new from Las Vegas that might shed some light on this subject?

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Brian Clevenger
07-17-2007, 2:19 AM
How about a count BACK to Delta precision.... You know, like The Delta/Milwaukee and the pre-Nam Rockwell days.

Chuck Lenz
07-17-2007, 8:17 AM
I like the way you think Brian. Alot of times all you hear is Grizzly this and Grizzly that. It would be nice to go back to the good old days when it was all made in America and Americans suported American jobs. Who would of ever thought we'd see the day when this country suported a Communist country over it's own workers.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
There was a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58170) a while back speculating that it was going to be a new drill press.

You can tell this ad campaign was created by a marketing type and not an engineer. Personally I'd rather have accuracy than precision. The original scale on my Biesemeyer fence is very precise, reading to the 32nd of an inch. But it isn't very accurate--the measurement is off by about 1/16" at about mid-scale.

Jimmy Newman
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
There was a thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58170) a while back speculating that it was going to be a new drill press.

You can tell this ad campaign was created by a marketing type and not an engineer. Personally I'd rather have accuracy than precision. The original scale on my Biesemeyer fence is very precise, reading to the 32nd of an inch. But it isn't very accurate--the measurement is off by about 1/16" at about mid-scale.

Accuracy's not any good without precision, either ;). If you're trying to make ten 10" cuts, and five are exactly 9" and five are exactly 11", they average to exactly 10" and your accuracy is perfect but the lack precision kills you.

Tom Henderson2
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, they have been hyping the "precision" thing for months; I hope they have more to show than one new drill press. But who knows; we'll know soon enough.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Accuracy's not any good without precision, either ;). If you're trying to make ten 10" cuts, and five are exactly 9" and five are exactly 11", they average to exactly 10" and your accuracy is perfect but the lack precision kills you.

Good point, I wasn't thinking in averages. I just picture this new drill press with a laser-guided measuring system that measures to .000000001" of an inch but with repeatability in the .5" range. :rolleyes:

Larry Fox
07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I seem to recall something about them coming out with a digital readout for the fence on the uni - supposedly eliminating the bump-test, bump-test. Don't know if there is any truth to it. Either way, their campaign seems to be working as people are talking about it and anticipating the "announcement". Gotta love advertising. :)

Brian Erickson
07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
It looks like it is drill presses, or at least includes them...
http://www.toologics.com/News/General_News/Awesome_New_Drill_Presses_from_Delta_20070711214.h tml

Don Bullock
07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Maybe it's a new ruler.;) :D I guess we'll see soon.

Michael Schwartz
07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
They have the countdown on the Porter Cable site as well. Mabey it is some kind of digital mesuring system that they will use across their lines.

Or they just found out a really expensive way to duct tape a 15 dollar Habor Freight digital caliper to the tools to provide height readouts etc...

Dan Racette
07-17-2007, 11:58 AM
I like the way you think Brian. Alot of times all you hear is Grizzly this and Grizzly that. It would be nice to go back to the good old days when it was all made in America and Americans suported American jobs. Who would of ever thought we'd see the day when this country suported a Communist country over it's own workers.

You know I do remember going down to the workshop at the factory my dad worked at. They had a Northfield Table Saw with at leaast 7.5 HP and tons of iron. A Rockwell radial arm. A Yates bandsaw (Where I spent most of my time) and lots of Rockwell drill presses. I can remember when Rockwell merged with Delta, and things went bad. I can also remember when my Dad's company bought Delta, then things really went bad. IMHO, anyway.

I think it is sad and reminiscent of a different time, but I would like to know what it takes to get that kind of accuracy, reliability, repairability, repeatability, precision back into the tools that we use.

Would it be wishful thinking for me to say that this forum has had some affect on how the tool manufacturers have responded on their last few years product launches? Have we spoke up enough here to make them listen?

Just wondering. I'm still got my eyes out for old iron. ;-)

Matt Meiser
07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
:rolleyes:
It looks like it is drill presses, or at least includes them...
http://www.toologics.com/News/General_News/Awesome_New_Drill_Presses_from_Delta_20070711214.h tml

Hey, I was right about the lasers. :rolleyes:

Steve Schoene
07-17-2007, 12:45 PM
You can still buy Northfield saws. The base model No.4 Tilting Arbor Variety Saw lists for $11,760 with a 5 hp. motor. You could say that is what it takes to get the quality of those classic tools.

Chuck Lenz
07-17-2007, 1:57 PM
The Northfield base model No.4 Tilting Arbor Saw may list for $11,760, but you also need to point out that it is a industrial, 3 phase, 14", tablesaw weighing in at 1680 lbs. You can get a 5 hp single phase motor for it, but you have to admit thats one hell of a saw.

Rod Sheridan
07-17-2007, 2:08 PM
Although we always want North American tools, most people vote with their wallet and buy tools from Taiwan.

I purchased a General 650 saw, made in Canada.

General also have a General International brand of tools made in Taiwan to compete with Delta etc. who make their tools in Taiwan.

Aside from General, are there other similar lines of machinery made in the USA?

Regards, Rod.

Chuck Lenz
07-17-2007, 5:09 PM
I'm not sure where Steel City Toolworks are made.

Bobby Nicks
07-17-2007, 7:44 PM
I'm not sure where Steel City Toolworks are made.

Steel City Tools are made in Taiwan.

Bob

Michael Schwartz
07-17-2007, 7:51 PM
So is Sawstop