PDA

View Full Version : What wood goes well with walnut?

Keith Benningfield
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm about to start a sofa table that will go in my living room along with a walnut coffee table I made. The walnut coffee table is dark along with the sofa and chair that are also in the room. My wife doesn't want another dark piece of furniture so I'm trying to figure out what I can use that would be lighter but still compliment the walnut. Any ideas? I was thinking cherry or a died maple.

Thanks,
Keith

Don Bullock
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd go with curly or quilted maple with walnut as an accent wood. The contrast between walnut and the natural light color of maple is stunning. I've seen a lot of furniture in many styles that have used this combination well. As for cherry, I think it would look nice, but will just be another "dark" wood as it ages.

David DeCristoforo
07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I have found that the idea that everything must "match" can produce some pretty boring environments. Wood tones will always complement each other. I have maple furniture in the same room as mahogany pieces, walnut, rosewood, padouk, etc. And I have never had anyone say that they thought it was a problem that they did not match. I would base the desicion on what wood would best suit the project and trust that it will look fine next to your walnut pieces.

Tyler Purcell
07-16-2007, 11:29 PM
I second what Don said. I love the combination of curly maple with Walnut. In fact, I'm making walnut/maple checkerboard pattern cutting boards for the family right now.

Todd Jensen
07-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Chocolate:D

Larry Fox
07-17-2007, 9:36 AM
I agree with Don, David and Tyler. If I had three votes and an alternate they would go (in this order);

1) Tiger Maple
2) Tiger Maple
3) Tiger Maple

(alternate) Tiger Maple

:)

Matt Campbell
07-17-2007, 9:39 AM
I definitely agree with the curly maple. You can't go wrong there. I recently paired up some walnut and paduak, and it looked wonderful also.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Are you talking about mixing woods on the new table, or making the new table out of a different wood completely? I couldn't agree more that walnut and maple look great together. That tends to have a modern look, which you might not be after (you didn't say what style you wanted.) Walnut burl can have a lot of lighter tones too. I did a walnut hall table/sofa table that is walnut with a walnut burl veneer top and the top has a lot of lighter tones in it. We have a lot of red oak furniture and a red oak floor and no one has ever said that the walnut table doesn't go with them. I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lot of options and you should consider the overall style in choosing the wood and finish.

Guy Germaine
07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Here's a table I did in Walnut and some nicely figured Pecan veneer:
http://www.fototime.com/DF642E1B0B4AC07/standard.jpg

Here is Walnut and Birdseye Maple: (crappy picture)
http://www.fototime.com/2533EF3F389F0CF/standard.jpg

And this is Walnut and Quilted Maple:
http://www.fototime.com/E200472E1F4058D/standard.jpg

Personally, I like the larger contrast between a dark wood, and a light wood. Purpleheart and Walnut look good thgether. Walnut and Cherry look good too. It's really a matter of you (or your customer's) taste.

Quinn McCarthy
07-17-2007, 2:23 PM
Butternut is always a fovorite of mine with walnut

Quinn

Keith Benningfield
07-17-2007, 2:37 PM
Thanks for your responses. I'm not interested in using two different woods for one piece. I currently have a walnut coffee table and would like to use a complimentary wood to make a sofa table for the same room.

Roy Harding
07-17-2007, 3:44 PM
Personally, I like Maple with Walnut. The contrast is beautiful.

As I always say to my wife, Maple/Walnut ice cream is excellent!! Maple/Walnut furniture too!

Of course - it all depends upon one's personal asthetics, as do just about all furniture design questions.

Henry Cavanaugh
07-17-2007, 6:10 PM
I have found that the idea that everything must "match" can produce some pretty boring environments. Wood tones will always complement each other. I have maple furniture in the same room as mahogany pieces, walnut, rosewood, padouk, etc. And I have never had anyone say that they thought it was a problem that they did not match. I would base the desicion on what wood would best suit the project and trust that it will look fine next to your walnut pieces.

My vote goes with David. There is no bad choice. Keep adding variety to the room.

Harry Niemann
07-17-2007, 8:58 PM
I'm thinking a little salt, 10 minutes in the oven and a big glass of Miller.

Doug Shepard
07-17-2007, 9:10 PM
What wood goes well with walnut?
Butter Pecan:D

or maybe TIGER MAPLE

Neil Lamens
07-18-2007, 7:57 AM
I'd leave out the butter part of Doug's.... Shepard pie :) there, but a mix of walnut and pecan hits on those tones that David DeC above mentions. I'm in David's camp when he talks of "wood tones in a room" and done suttely, "wood tones" on individuals pieces.... within the room.

Neil

Christof Grohs
07-18-2007, 7:59 AM
If Maple is too much contrast I usually go with American Cherry. This is walnut burl with cherry, if the picture works:rolleyes:

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/albums/albuu91/Randog_finished.jpg

John Fry
07-18-2007, 8:31 AM
Koa!

Nothing like koa in a room full of walnut. If you have a lot of money, buy curly koa. :D

Bob Feeser
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow, now that is beautiful. I looked up beautiful in the dictionary, and they had a photo of Guy's table. :) My hat's off to you.

Here's a table I did in Walnut and some nicely figured Pecan veneer:
http://www.fototime.com/DF642E1B0B4AC07/standard.jpg

Here is Walnut and Birdseye Maple: (crappy picture)
http://www.fototime.com/2533EF3F389F0CF/standard.jpg

And this is Walnut and Quilted Maple:
http://www.fototime.com/E200472E1F4058D/standard.jpg

Personally, I like the larger contrast between a dark wood, and a light wood. Purpleheart and Walnut look good thgether. Walnut and Cherry look good too. It's really a matter of you (or your customer's) taste.

Guy, great art in wood. Beautiful. Your photos illustrate what I wanted to say, pertaining to getting different woods to match. If you notice the first picture, the golden sheen is shared by the surrounding walnut. In other words the gold highlights in the walnut, match or complement the shade in the center. That creates an extremely beautiful match, in addition to the overall beauty of the piece.

In the second picture you have chosen the maple which contrasts well with the deeper brown in the walnut, then further tied the piece together nicely by putting the walnut inlay in the center.

In the third piece, you have a beautiful creation, with the highly figured wood inlays on the center, and sculpted walnut surround. Once again, the gold highlights in the walnut match the gold in the center, although on a subtle level, the brown tones in the walnut, and the darker brown grain accents in the center inlays are complemented, but not to the extent that they are in the first picture. The overall piece is incredibly beautiful, I am mentioning the subtle difference to bring out the point, that white is not white, and brown is not brown. The subtle shades that go into that brown, can pull the piece together, or apart. By the way the third piece is another beautiful creation, and I would love to have 10 of them in my living room.

I guess their is a definition somewhere in here citing the difference between matching, and complimenting colors. What that is I do not exactly know. :rolleyes:

I am not an art student, or a color expert, but I would like to share what I do know. I had a shop for 20 years, with a mixing station. When I would use the factory formula to mix up a color, that formula had, for example, 6 different tints that went into it. A burgundy metallic would have a little bit of white, some black, one or two shades of red, a little yellow, a little blue, and several types of metallic. Once these were all blended together, you would look at it, and say, burgundy metallic. But if you look on a more subtle level, you would see the slight tint of blue in it, and maybe a hint of the yellow. If you pulled from the blended color, a few of the tints, that went into the formula, to make pinstripes, they would match beautifully, even though, those colors are not immediately apparent to the casual observer. But when placed on the car, had a beautiful blending that is hard to describe.

How does all of this tie into wood? Pulling subtle shades out of existing pieces, then using that shade in the complementing piece, gives you the desired result. You have to be careful, because, if something is white for example, that doesn't mean that another white piece will complement it. As a matter of fact, you run the risk of ruining the look, with 2 whites that are off shaded.

When painting an office, with a blue bottom and a tan top, when I opened the custom mix cans, the blue was not what I expected. So I took some of the tan, and poured it into the blue. Wahlah, the two shades complemented each other. Why? Because the tan was now a part of the blue shade. Not that it was apparent, but it worked.

I have a fitness room that I am making out of cedar, and I want to install a book case in the bathroom area. I have a lot of hickory that I would like to use, but the natural hickory shades do not feel right next to the cedar. The colors do not look good together. Cedar and walnut look good together though because the dark brown in the cedar knots goes well with the walnuts dark brown, and the subtle shades I am talking about work well together also. So I will use the hickory, but will slightly tint it with walnut color stain, or should I say experiment with different stains, until I find one that works. I like the natural beauty of wood, so I like to clear finish it; matching the wood shades, rather than covering them up with dark stains. If neccessary, to use a stain, I prefer to stain only to transparency. Sometimes a little, like in this case of blending the hickory shades, with a complementary hue of the clear finished cedar, is all I will need.

Especially pertaining to the original post, the best thing to do is to take a piece of the wood you are considering, or several pieces you are considering, and wet the sample, in a sanded area, and hold it up to the piece you are trying to "complement" Immediately you will feel what is right. It could be a "Oh that sort of works", or nah that doesn't, or "Wow, look at how beautiful that works together"

When picking out clothes it is the same thing. Lay out a burgundy sweater, next to different color pants, and magically, one looks really great next to the other, and something, although technically of the same color as the one that looks great, doesn't go so well. It is all in the subtle colors that are in each of the large colors that we label them by.

I know that having different woods in the same room, works well together. Having them all complement on subtle levels, can take it to an even higher level. I also agree with what others have said about maple blending beautifully with walnut.

Whenever I am talking about something like this, I am always tugged by the dichotomy of the truth. Whatever you say, the exact opposite is equally as true. If you look at a beautiful wooded scene with a beautiful sky, all the colors of the rainbow are harmoniously blending together. I'd like to think that it is the palette of the greatest master. Maybe the gray or blue from the sky, blending in as a subtle shade, reflecting, helps to pull it all together. Just like if you would use a semi-transparent wood stain, or amber finish, to pull dispariging woods together.