PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Bandsaw Decision

Mike Goetzke
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
I recently bought a 14" Delta open stand 3/4Hp 28-276 BS. Along with a used drum sander I picked up a used 14" Delta Platinum closed stand 1Hp 28-262. Both saws have 6" risers.

Pros for 28-276:
1) quick blade tension release
2) cast in 4" dust port
3) 6-months old
4) cool blocks

Pros for 28-262:
1) 1Hp
2) closed stand
3) roller guides
4) made in America

I mostly use the BS to cut curves in 3/4" stock and to re-saw. Is 1Hp going to buy me much more than 3/4Hp for re-sawing.

I was even thinking of swaping the top of the two saws (i.e. put my newer 28-276 on top of the closed stand w/1Hp motor) but this may de-value both saws.

Which saw should I keep and why?

Thanks,

Mike

Scot wolf
07-17-2007, 7:31 AM
I was even thinking of swaping the top of the two saws (i.e. put my newer 28-276 on top of the closed stand w/1Hp motor) but this may de-value both saws.

THat's what I would do. I dought that it would affect value at all. We aren't talking about collectors items.

Wilbur Pan
07-17-2007, 9:50 AM
If you've had a chance to try both saws out hooked up to whatever you use for a dust collector, I would pick the one that works better from a dust collection standpoint. The difference in horsepower is negligible and can be compensated for by a sharp blade, and the quick release is not necessary.

If you are looking to sell one of these bandsaws, I wouldn't swap the tops. If I was looking to buy a bandsaw, I would be much less interested in a bandsaw that did not come with the base it originally came with.

Matt Meiser
07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
If I had both saws, I would take the best parts and build them into the best saw, meaning I'd probably take the tensioner and any other goodies and put them on the closed stand saw. I doubt the average buyer is going to research what is original to the saw so I don't think it would affect the resale price. I'd hazard a guess that the castings from the USA-made saw are going to be heavier than the other other saw. Maybe that's not the case though, so check.

You can get excellent dust collection by mounting a dust pickup made from about $10 in PVC fittings in the lower door of any bandsaw so I wouldn't consider the built-in dust port to be that important. I can post pictures of how I did this (copied from others) on my current saw. It involves cutting the door, but as Scott said, this isn't a collectors item. Terry Hatfield also posted pictures at some point of a different dust hood for a 14" saw that used an HVAC duct mounted to the door so that it was parallel to the blade right under the table.

Mark Pruitt
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I mostly use the BS to cut curves in 3/4" stock and to re-saw. Is 1Hp going to buy me much more than 3/4Hp for re-sawing.
Resawing demands HP. I stalled out a 1 HP motor resawing a piece of walnut two days ago. I was being too aggressive and when I backed off on feed rate I was able to complete the cut, but the feed rate was very slow. But it did demonstrate effectively how important HP is for resawing. I mostly do turning so my main use for a BS is to cut out bowl blanks, and even in that application, where the greatest thickness of the piece is typically a crosscut (I saw from logs, not pre-cut dried blanks), the demand for HP is apparent.

Mike Goetzke
07-17-2007, 2:51 PM
[quote=Matt Meiser;622908]If I had both saws, I would take the best parts and build them into the best saw, meaning I'd probably take the tensioner and any other goodies and put them on the closed stand saw. I doubt the average buyer is going to research what is original to the saw so I don't think it would affect the resale price. I'd hazard a guess that the castings from the USA-made saw are going to be heavier than the other other saw. Maybe that's not the case though, so check.

[quote]

Thanks to all for the suggestions - I siding toward putting my 28-206 on the 1HP closed stand.

Matt - I never thought about the casting differences. I think I'll take a scale out to the shop tonight and weigh the two. From a quick look last night, I dont think the tensioner is an easy challenge to swap (requires machining to the upper casting).

Mike