PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 718 Molding Machine

clay carr
07-16-2007, 7:49 PM
i have recently gotten a woodmaster 718 molding machine. i want to use it to make crown, casing and base board moldings. does anyone currently on the forum have one?

mine seems to be very loud, about twice as loud as a medium priced planer, anyone having this problem?

i want to switch to the powerlink v-belt to reduce chatter and stock slapping, anyone done that?

while searching the web i found a barn hinge motor mount modication and bed board mods, anyone had luck with it? here is the link:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Modifications_Cure_Woodmaster_718_Chatter.html

Mike K Wenzloff
07-16-2007, 8:38 PM
Hi Clay--I don't still have mine.

I had two, one which I bought just before a serious illness and was never ran. But the one which I did run was reasonably quite with no load and the planer blades installed even though they were obviously moving a lot of air. Depending on the molding cutters, though, they can become lot's louder. Mine had the HD 5 hp motors--the big red one.

I put the link belts on everything, the WM included. But I thought there was a bit too much flex in the things under serious loads so went back to the regular V belts.

I never modified the motor mounts. Had I thought of suspending the motor on a hinge, that probably would have taken care of that--wish I had thought of it.

Most all the moldings I made were from Poplar, as they would be eventually painted. The stain-grades I made were mostly Oak, some small amounts of Cherry. I didn't have chatter to speak of, nor "stock slapping."

Bed boards were all well waxed 18 mm Baltic Birch as I kept a good stock of it. They were bolted down in the planer and out across the in/out feed tables with secondary pieces under the tables themselves. This is probably why I did not have chatter or I simply was lucky.

IIRC, I did adjust the rollers to provide more pressure a couple times and found where I was happy. This mainly had to do with getting a higher feed rate.

Take care, Mike

Al Killian
07-16-2007, 8:59 PM
I know where one is and it runs pretty quite for a 5HP motor. He has run qswo,cherry and maple which came out fine. I would check to see if something is loose.