PDA

View Full Version : Snake!

Bonnie Campbell
07-16-2007, 5:06 PM
As there was an objection to my posting on curing a snake hide, I have deleted it.... If some one wants the information they can email me and I'll send the old post in an email to them.

Brent Dowell
07-16-2007, 5:32 PM
Wow!

That thing looks huge.

We just moved out to the desert and I've got a deal with the rattlers. If they stay 100 yards away from the house, I'll let them be the best rattle snakes they can be, eating rodents, rabbits, whatever.

If they come around the house, I add the rattle to my rattle collection.

You've just given me something else to do with them, other than feeding them to the coyotes.

I'm just not enlightened enough to let a poisonous critter like that live next to the house. One of my dogs is just way too curious.

But I let the 4.5 foot gopher snake do whatever he wants...

Bonnie Campbell
07-16-2007, 5:52 PM
Yeah, we let the non-venomous ones live ourselves. There's about a 6 foot chicken snake that lives in the lumber pile. Even had a huge king snake show up in the back of the cabin. He lived too, I just shooed him away from the cabin.

That rattler was about 5 1/2 feet, just like it's mate. But I had a k22 with rat shot I killed it with, hubby had a 12 gauge shotgun. Wasn't much hide left on his snake lol Lesson learned: aim to do the least damage if you want to keep the hide ;)

Brent Dowell
07-16-2007, 6:54 PM
Yeah, So far, I've only had to dispatch three of them.

First one, just dropped a big rock on its head. not dramatic, but it was effective.

Second, used my trusty old .410 single shot.

Third, shovel.

I've got a 38 loaded with birdshot ready for any more.

Fortunately, I haven't seen anymore around since it's been so hot.

But I've been on an ordering spree last couple of days, so guess I'll order the tanning liquid to have it around. I'm sure I'll need it someday.

Frank Guerin
07-16-2007, 8:50 PM
I realize I am the odd man here so let the bashing begin. The fact is snakes do much more good than harm. They are the largest predators of rodents that we know. Any snake that can be seen can be removed and placed in a remote area if carefully done (or be left alone). Of course other options are to bash it with a rock, beat it to death with a club, blow it to smitherines with a gun. I have heard the old speeches that it's on my property, it can bite my (fill in the blank), but please keep in mind that we are the trespassers. I realize I am just mouthing ofr to the majority but when the snakes (the majority being poisonous) are deminished we will loose the battle to the rats. Now id I haven't upset enough people I'll try this. Did you know that if you take a corral snake and put it in a bag for awhile (hour) you can safely remove it by hand. Yes I have done it. As you can tell I am somewhat prejudice. I would like to think that the poison from the ringnecks and spoted cobra's from so long ago did some good some how.
SOS. Save our snakes.

Pat Germain
07-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Counterpoint: I agree one should not kill snakes, or any other animal, simply for the sake of killing or because of a warped agenda. On the subject of rattlesnakes, it is my understanding much of their proliferation is do to the activities of man. It was our lines of communication, such as trains and trucks, which brought them to places where they are not native. It would seem there are many more rattlesnakes in the world because of man. Thus, I see no problem with eliminating them from areas near homes and schools.

Certainly, there is no reason to actively seek out and kill rattlesnakes in remote areas. The chances of being bitten in remote areas are slim to none. However, innocently stumbling onto a rattler near a home or school is much more likely, which makes being bitten much more likely. Certainly, with rattlers being shy creatures, the chances of startling one and getting bitten are still slim, but the danger is enough to create concern.

I also see nothing wrong with killing a rattler for food. Yes, I have eaten rattlesnake, albeit a very long time ago, and found it quite tasty. And no, it didn't really taste like chicken. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Brent Dowell
07-17-2007, 12:09 AM
I know, I know. I'm just not a 'snake' person. You won't see me imitating Jeff Corwin or Steve Irwin.

I understand the value of the rattle snakes re. rodents, etc., but with my dogs, I just don't want the venomous types around the house. As I understand it, the rattlers around here don't typically range very far from their burrows, that's why I've got the 100 yard boundary.

I'm not going out of my way to harvest the things for fun. But I am a hunter and am comfortable with my place in the food chain, where I am, at the current moment. (The way I look at it, if I'm camping in the Sierras, my place in the food chain might not exactly be at the top, due to bears and such).

I've got my little 68 acres of desert, and the dogs and I go hiking up in the hills everyday. If we are out in the snakes territory and we see one I do my best to control the dogs and keep them from getting hurt.

Non-Venomous snakes, lizards, and critters of all sorts are welcome around the house (well, I might give the big spiders and scorpions a hard time as well).

What I like about this is it gives me way to use the animal as opposed to wasting it. Heck, the next one, I may even cook it up, if I can find a recipe somewhere.

But trust me, I'm not looking forward to finding any more, I just think it's inevitable.

Brent Dowell
07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I realize I am the odd man here so let the bashing begin. The fact is snakes do much more good than harm. They are the largest predators of rodents that we know.

And Frank, I'm not going to bash you for this. I understand your point, but personally, I'm just not prepared mentally to be able to grab up a snake (by hand or with a tool), bag it, put it in a bucket or whatever and move it. I KNOW it can be done, but I'm just not going to be able to do that.

Intellectually, I know you have a very good point. But then again, I know that ants and cockroaches are natures garbagemen and do a lot of good for the environment, but I'm not going to let them roam around the house either.... ;)

Bonnie Campbell
07-17-2007, 8:57 AM
My mind set is with Brent on this issue. I do NOT go out of my way to kill snakes. Any I have killed (copperheads and rattlers) have all been within 10 feet of our cabin. Like I mentioned, we DO have a chicken snake (at least one) that hangs around the cabin unmolested. He can eat the rodents quite well. There is plenty of other wildlife that will take care of rodents by our cabin also (foxes, bobcats). We don't need to let venomous snakes do that job. Some hides that I have tanned are from road kill snakes.

I was brought up with the motto of 'waste not want not'. I know that's way out of date now in this throw away society. So, I tan the snake hides and USE them. And I have cooked up the meat from the snakes too (NOT the road kill snakes).

Sometimes nature encroaches upon man and if not kept in check it gets out of hand. Keeping snakes away from our home is the same as making sure we brush cut along the wood line of our hay fields. If not cut regularly, we'd no longer have hay fields (grazing areas for deer?). And yes, I do hunt deer also. I'm not wiping out the herd on our property. I harvest one or two deer a year. Killing for the fun of it is not my style either. I've tanned a couple deer hides also. Waste not want not.....

OKay, I'll shut up on this subject and just let it go. Anyone wanting an easy process for tanning a snake hide can message me.