PDA

View Full Version : Saw with new handle and teeth!!

Terry Bigelow
07-16-2007, 4:31 PM
I have posted quite a few plane rehabs(Bedrocks) and have now completely slipped down the slope adding saws to the addiction. I have been somewhat hesitant to try my hand at the saw thing for the simple reason that I wasn't educated on the workings of them. I have since read many a post, mag articles and a books about them. I purchased a few old Disstons including a #7 and #8 and a couple of "tenon" and "dovetail" saws. I did a little practice on a saw that was basically trashed before I dove into the Disstons with decent results. But after buying an old saw vise, the proper file and a tooth setter I gave it a shot on one of the "nicer" saws(all were pretty beat up). I was more than happy with the results. I feel like I finally "get it". The teeth were in such bad shape that by the time I finished jointing them there wasn't much left. This left me with quite a bit of filing but it was good practice. I also replaced the hadle with some curly maple(can't really see it in the pic) and was also pleased with the results. Thank you Dragon Rasps!! All in all not as much work as I thought and I look foward to the others that I have to do. Haven't yet tackled the cross cut teeth so we'll see!

John Schreiber
07-16-2007, 5:53 PM
You've done excellent work there. I fear that slippery slope myself. Planes are the gateway drug.

How hard is it to keep the set consistent on both sides? It would seem that it would be very hard, then the saw would want to turn while it is cutting.

Terry Bigelow
07-17-2007, 8:02 AM
That's the job of the saw set itself. You alternate sides with each tooth. Well actually every other tooth on one side and the opposite tooth on the other. That part was easy but the filing took a while. Perhaps because I'm a rookie! I'm sure once you've done it a while it's second nature.

Ruston Hughes
07-17-2007, 1:10 PM
Terry,

Excellent job on the rehab. Nothing like bringing an old tool back to life. If I had one suggestion it would be to make the handle a little more curvy. I got a lot of inspiration looking at the handles on old saws and the newer ones made by Mike Wenzloff and www.norsewoodsmith.com
Part of the handle shape is getting a comfortable shape that fits your hand well, the other part is simply eye candy :D

Again, great job on the saw.

Mike K Wenzloff
07-17-2007, 2:37 PM
Great job, Terry!

Pretty true to the original.

Take care, Mike