PDA

View Full Version : Foot Prints CDR for your use

Stephen Beckham
07-16-2007, 3:31 PM
Hi everyone. Just a bit of rebellion here - I made this for a feller and he's trying to claim that I need to let him know if I sell any for him to take a cut for the idea... The joke is that he was serious...

Well - frankly - I drew the grass and came up with the feet myself (playing to learn Corel X3). AND I'm not too sure about ownership rights, but since I can't give UNKNOWN any kickback and this feller ain't getting anything from me....

I'd like to share with all to do as you desire! It's set up for a 9X12 plaque and I did it on Alder. Please enjoy... Sorry for the dark photo...

Steve

Brian Robison
07-16-2007, 3:51 PM
Hi Steve,
It must be in X3, I can't open it.
I'm doing several signs for our church and that might
be a nice addition to the others I'm making.

Mike Null
07-16-2007, 3:51 PM
Invite him to get a lawyer. Copyright law is very clear as to who owns the artwork.

The grass and the footsteps are already in Corel. Just takes a little looking.

Explore all the fill options.

You sure that's not walnut?

Michael Kowalczyk
07-16-2007, 3:56 PM
Thanks Stephen. It is good to share a Blessing. If your client came up with the text and the idea and had the text copyrighted and the concept Internationally Patented then maybe he would have something to stand on. "Footsteps" has been around for many years. As for me, if I design it, I can do what I want with it, if my client designs it and it is proprietary, not public domain, then it is theirs and I will not use it with out their permission. It's just good business practice. I have only had to sign 2-3 Non-disclosures that I can remember. Did you sign one with this customer? Thanks again.

Michael Kowalczyk
07-16-2007, 4:00 PM
Hey Brian,
Come on step up to X3. It will be worth it. So are those names in your sig cars, motorcycles, machines or other...

Brian Robison
07-16-2007, 4:19 PM
3 trials motorcycles, one road bike and a JR50 Suzuki with training wheels.

I need to step up but first I'm going to buy Photgrav.

I don't want to hijack this thread but, does anyone have a really nice super detailed Celtic Cross?

Aaron Koehl
07-16-2007, 4:21 PM
Alleged "Footprints" author:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolyn_Joyce_Carty

Other claims of authorship:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footprints_(poem)

And many, many claims of infringement:
http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=1531

I don't know if any of it is substantiated. Though, I do know it has always been one of my favorites.

Brian Robison
07-16-2007, 4:28 PM
Picture of Jordan (14 year old)

Marc Myer
07-16-2007, 4:30 PM
Yes, the text is long in the public domain. Unless the original author agressively pursued lawsuits against all violators, the copyright (if there was one) can be said to have been 'abandoned.' I'm currently assisting in a high-profile copyright violation case. It's not easy for an artist to protect a copyright.

And a copyrighted idea? I join the others who collectively laugh ourselves silly. If we could copyright ideas, we'd all be gazillionaires.

Brian Robison
07-16-2007, 4:33 PM
And a copyrighted idea? I join the others who collectively laugh ourselves silly. If we could copyright ideas, we'd all be gazillionaires.

Hey I thought of that first, I guess I'll have to sue ya!
(reminds me of the lasering bricks thing or gluing in braille balls)

Stephen Beckham
07-16-2007, 6:21 PM
No agreement - he's a return customer that brings in 2nd's and 3rd's (doors and drawer fronts) from a local cabinet shop. I put designs on them and he resales them. He came off a couple days ago that anything I make for him the rights belong to him.

Sorry about the grass statement - I used the Artistic Media brush to add that in... I didn't draw it...

Positive - it's Alder - JDS special.

It didn't make my customer mad - he just had six more doors and two more bible boxes done today. It's a crazy world - I understand all the comments and appreciate them. It just got my goat and I decided to share. We do have six or seven other designs that I put together for him that I won't share. The saddest part is he's done none of the creative work - he just says "can you do something with footprints?" and I do the rest.

The bottom line was I told him anytime he pays for the artwork or anything he develops himself - they belong to him - anything that is just a thought that I do the work on - is not protected. When I started talking prices for artwork - reality set in. He's still getting free artwork in my downtime and I'm still free to share my CDR's...

Steve

Jim Watkins
07-16-2007, 8:40 PM
According to the Copyright office website search, CAROLYN JOYCE CARTY, owns the copyright for the title, but the text is not on file. But the information suggests it is that type of work. So your friend has no claim on it I think.

__________________________________________________ _____________
(Combined Search)
Search For: CLNA/CARTY, CAROLYN JOYCE, 1957- AUTH/CARTY, CAROLYN JOYCE, 1957-
Item 1 of 1 1. Registration Number: TXu-234-383 Title: Footprints. Description: 8 p. Claimant: Carolyn Joyce Carty Created: 1963
Title on © Application: Footprints in the sand. Author on © Application: Carolyn Joyce Carty (author of anon. contribution) Special Codes: (javascript:Start('http://www.copyright.gov/records/datacode.html')) 1/B///A

Home (http://www.copyright.gov/) | Contact Us (http://www.copyright.gov/help/) | Legal Notices (http://www.loc.gov/homepage/legal.html) | Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (http://www.copyright.gov/foia/) | Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/)

U.S. Copyright Office
101 Independence Ave. S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20559-6000
(202) 707-3000

__________________________________________________ ______

Carol VanArnam
07-17-2007, 2:15 AM
Steve- thank you for posting this, I love it. I've been wanting to do this exact project for some time now. I just handn't sat down and typed it out. Could you please email me the fire in corel 12? I don't want you to post it here and get in trouble like all of the folks are talking about.

I really would appreciate it if you have the time to send it to me. I'm going to make it for myself. Sometimes I get going and forget the Lord is there for me.

Stephen Beckham
07-17-2007, 8:49 AM
Carol,

No issues with trouble - as most have posted, no one has claimed rights to this gift for many years. And since it was just his idea for me to type it up - he has no rights.

He is a friend that was trying to protect his "thoughts" on a local level from a local competitor. There's only about three of us with lasers in the immediate area - yes we talk and yes we share... But honestly, I'm usually not crazy enough to give my work and effort away to the competitor myself.

But with something like this that would be a gift that keeps on giving - yes I would share it. Not to get too religious in this forum, but it's something that I feel needs to be shared more often and know that at least one person in this forum will reproduce it - it might touch someone that needs to be reminded.

And if one of my competitors locally find it here - great - they know they can download it or ask me personally for the original and any one of four more versions in different sized files for different sized doors, plaques and so forth...

Steve

Bill Cunningham
07-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I Like the other version too!:D

One night I had a wondrous dream.
One set of footprints there was seen,
the footprints of my precious Lord,
but mine were not along the shore.

But then some stranger prints appeared
and I asked the Lord, "What have we here?
Those prints are large and round and neat,
but, Lord, they are too large for feet."

"My child," he said in sober tones,
"For miles I carried you alone.
I challenged you to walk in faith,
but you refused and made me wait."

"You disobeyed, you would not grow.
The walk of faith you would not know.
So I got tired, I got fed up,
and there I dropped you on your butt."

"Because in life there comes a time
when one must fight and one must climb,
when one must rise and take a stand
or leave their butt prints in the sand."

Stephen Beckham
07-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Bill - that was a good one and I will be passing that one along... Thanks!:)

Aaron Koehl
07-18-2007, 11:05 AM
I Like the other version too!:D

One night I had a wondrous dream.
One set of footprints there was seen,
the footprints of my precious Lord,
but mine were not along the shore.

But then some stranger prints appeared
and I asked the Lord, "What have we here?
Those prints are large and round and neat,
but, Lord, they are too large for feet."

"My child," he said in sober tones,
"For miles I carried you alone.
I challenged you to walk in faith,
but you refused and made me wait."

"You disobeyed, you would not grow.
The walk of faith you would not know.
So I got tired, I got fed up,
and there I dropped you on your butt."

"Because in life there comes a time
when one must fight and one must climb,
when one must rise and take a stand
or leave their butt prints in the sand."
ROFL.. do you know the attribution for that one?

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2007, 9:45 PM
It's been around for years.. I have seen several names attached to it, so many names, and so many years, it's most likely in the public domain.. Just google "Butt prints in the sand" and see what I mean..

Jim Good
07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Bill,

Exactly what graphics would you use with this version of the poem!?! :D

Bill Cunningham
07-22-2007, 9:33 PM
Hmmm You could always spend a day at the beach doing impressions! Jumping into the air, and landing 'Butt-Down' 25 or 30 times should do it. When you get a good one, post the picture, and we can all use it :D

Jim Good
07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll happily sign a model release for the "face" shot!!!

Bob Cole
07-24-2007, 3:30 AM
Thank you for the post. I took some damaged plaques and engraved it. It turned out really nice. One of the first projects I've done that actually looks good.