PDA

View Full Version : Moving my big new machine....

Jameel Abraham
07-16-2007, 3:11 PM
Okay, I finally bit the bullet (read, I sold some stuff in order to pay for this!!--ouch!). So how do I, 1. get this thing off the pallet, and 2. work with it so I can install some sort of mobile base? Right now it's just sitting on the pallet (it puts it at a convenient height that's for sure) until I can figure something out. I'm going to be expanding my shop later this year, so I'll need to move this behemoth around several times. I'd rather not repeat the iron pipe lever fulcrum that I used to move this thing into my shop. Help!

Lou Ortiz
07-16-2007, 3:41 PM
If you can wait a few weeks, I've heard that General will start selling their hoverpad next month. Will cost more than wheels, but it looks like a pretty good option.

"Gary Brewer"
07-16-2007, 3:50 PM
Hi Jameel: Congratulations on I assume your wide-belt sander!! What make, model and size is it? I have been waiting to see what you get. I have enjoyed following the threads on your transition and search from drum sander to wide-belt sander, makes and models, etc. Please let us know how it works out and if it meets your needs when you get some experience on it.
Gary

James Kuhn
07-16-2007, 3:54 PM
Trim the pallet a bit so that you aren't tripping over it, jack the whole thing up on concrete blocks, bolt on some casters, and slide the blocks out from under it. All of my machines are still sitting on the remains of the pallets they came in on. Sad...but true.

Jameel Abraham
07-16-2007, 6:11 PM
Hi Jameel: Congratulations on I assume your wide-belt sander!! What make, model and size is it? I have been waiting to see what you get. I have enjoyed following the threads on your transition and search from drum sander to wide-belt sander, makes and models, etc. Please let us know how it works out and if it meets your needs when you get some experience on it.
Gary

It's the Grizzly 15" Open End G9983. I basically have just set it up and run dust collection. Just ran through a couple narrow boards so far. I'll let you know later after I use it for a while. But so far it's a very nice machine. Fit and finish is excellent.

Trim the pallet a bit so that you aren't tripping over it, jack the whole thing up on concrete blocks, bolt on some casters, and slide the blocks out from under it. All of my machines are still sitting on the remains of the pallets they came in on. Sad...but true.

Thanks James. That's what I'm thinking. But I just can't figure out how to jack it up and then lower it back down. Maybe I'm having a mind block, but I just can't figure out the procedure in my mind.

Frank Martin
07-16-2007, 6:52 PM
Jameel,

I just did the same with my new Grizzly jointer/planer combo using an engine hoist. But your machine looks quite a bit taller than mine so I am not sure if an engine hoist would work. I rented it from RentalMax.

Good luck!

Okay, I finally bit the bullet (read, I sold some stuff in order to pay for this!!--ouch!). So how do I, 1. get this thing off the pallet, and 2. work with it so I can install some sort of mobile base? Right now it's just sitting on the pallet (it puts it at a convenient height that's for sure) until I can figure something out. I'm going to be expanding my shop later this year, so I'll need to move this behemoth around several times. I'd rather not repeat the iron pipe lever fulcrum that I used to move this thing into my shop. Help!

Don Bullock
07-16-2007, 7:11 PM
That sure is one bear of a machine!;) :D Sorry, I couldn't resist. Congratulations on the new addition to your toys -- errrr tools. I'm sorry, but I have no idea if an engine hoist won't work unless there a pallot jack will get it high enough.

Don Taylor
07-16-2007, 7:18 PM
I used Franks idea but like he said, your machine is quite a bit taller......

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/Dontee47/100_0933.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/Dontee47/100_0931.jpg

DT

Steven Wilson
07-16-2007, 9:39 PM
You need to use a riggers pry bar like this
http://www.easternrigging.com/woodbar.jpg This is very easy to do. I had to do the same with my Oneway 2436 lathe (roughly 900lbs on a pallet). You can also use toe jacks and riggers dollies to. You should be able to find a rental center that carries some riggers supplies.

Jeff Raymond
07-17-2007, 6:55 AM
No big deal.

Just call your local trucking company and have it delivered freight collect to me. :D

Thanks much.

John W Parker
07-17-2007, 7:22 AM
If you are going to move it alot. I would leave it on the pallet and get a pallet jack. to move it around.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-17-2007, 1:25 PM
Nice refrigerator / Salamander combination machine. You can keep the beers cold AND toast sandwiches and make pizza all in one gadget. I'm jealous ~!!

What have you got by way of rafters??
I'd toss a couple of 2*6s over a string of rafters get a come along and see if the collective strength a half a dozen rafters will do (I'm sure it will). Hoist slowly - - - - - -

Then pull the pallet out and away you go.

Mike Wilkins
07-17-2007, 3:55 PM
Used a chain hoist to lift my jointer/planer in the air to place a mobile base under the base. Place a solid 1 inch steel bar between 2 ceiling joists and just lifted slowly. No complaints from the joists either. Try calling Grizzly customer service and see if they can offer some tips.
By the way: nice machine. I'm jealous.

Bruce Page
07-17-2007, 5:45 PM
Jameel, congrats on the new machine! The Johnson bar that Steve Wilson points out will do the job. I used one to move my lathe & mill into their final resting places (the mill is 2300 pounds).
P.s. JMHO, I would not use my rafters to pick up a 900# machine.

BTW, how much air does the sander require? Does it need a steady supply to run?

john tomljenovic
07-17-2007, 7:00 PM
Jameel, however you get this thing off the pallet (I would just break down the pallet some and slide it off) A full review after using it will be in order. I have not seen much write ups on these style of sanders (the open ended variety) and am curious as well as others for sure are keen on your experience. I am looking myself on getting the very same grizzly unit.

Jameel Abraham
07-18-2007, 9:42 AM
You need to use a riggers pry bar like this
This is very easy to do. I had to do the same with my Oneway 2436 lathe (roughly 900lbs on a pallet). You can also use toe jacks and riggers dollies to. You should be able to find a rental center that carries some riggers supplies.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Jameel, congrats on the new machine! The Johnson bar that Steve Wilson points out will do the job. I used one to move my lathe & mill into their final resting places (the mill is 2300 pounds).
P.s. JMHO, I would not use my rafters to pick up a 900# machine.

BTW, how much air does the sander require? Does it need a steady supply to run?

I don't have beefy rafters in this garage, they are just 2x4's. Besides, my ceiling is drywalled. Ding! I think the Johnson bar is a nice idea. Not quite sure how it works, I'm assuming you lever up one corner and pivot the machine back and forth on opposite corners. Right now it's living on the pallet happily. I'm not sure how much cfm it uses, but it takes 75 psi, and yes it does bleed air continuously. That's how it tracks. If you look at the owner's manual you'll see the yoke that the belt travels through and the air blows across the yoke, so when the belt oscilates past the air stream, it interrupts it and makes the upper roller shift position so the belt moves back the other way and whole process repeats. It's pretty neat actually and the back and forth movement is a nice feature I didn't realize this machine had. Akin to a oscilatings spindle sander, it will make the paper last longer.

Jameel, however you get this thing off the pallet (I would just break down the pallet some and slide it off) A full review after using it will be in order. I have not seen much write ups on these style of sanders (the open ended variety) and am curious as well as others for sure are keen on your experience. I am looking myself on getting the very same grizzly unit.

I will be putting some good time in on it today, so I'll let you know. I'm in the same boat as you. No reviews much on this type of machine, so I'll give it a good going over for you all.

Rick Hubbard
07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Nice Sander- Big Problem.

Here is a solution. Look around for a used pallet jack. I bought one a few years ago just because it was so bloody cheap ($35) and I can't tell you how many times I have used it around the shop and garage. Even if you can't find a used one, I think you can buy a brand-new one for about $250 (that price slides off my lips real easily since its not MY $250).

Mine has a a 5,000 pound capacity and it is a pretty small unit. It would easily move the sander.

Good Luck

Rick