PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 5 Gal DC Separator decent?

Grady Cowardin
07-16-2007, 3:07 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g6102

I'm curious as to whether or not this item is of any value. Is it simply a gravity separator or is there a baffle/screen/filter involved? It does not say if the hose is included but I am doubtful that it is for that price. Thanks for any info.

Don Bullock
07-16-2007, 7:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing. They have them at Rockler and WoodCraft too. I don't rember the price, but if you have one near you there wouldn't be any shipping cost.

Randy Klein
07-16-2007, 7:30 PM
Although I have no experience with either, the one LV (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1) has seems to be a better design that the others I have looked at.

Michael Schwartz
07-16-2007, 7:30 PM
I just finished making one of these 5 minuets ago out of a 5 gallon paint bucket, lid, 2 90 degree PVC elbows, and plenty of Nausha 398 Duct Tape. Seems to be working allright :cool: Cost well under 10 bucks to make including the paint bucket.

Frederick Rowe
07-16-2007, 7:34 PM
Grady- I've seen that model and basically it is just a small version of the cyclone lid for a trash can. I don't know how well it works, but I use the full size one and it does a decent job separating the chips from the dust with a 2 hp DC. It would probably keep you from having to dump out the shop vac as often, but the fine dust would still get in there.

Grady Cowardin
07-17-2007, 1:05 PM
Thanks guys, that does sound like something simple enough to make since I doubt the lid comes with the hose. I didn't figure it could eliminate everything from the air flow and since this would be mainly used for a router table and table saw it probaby isn't of much use to me. More for chips from jointer like you said. Thanks a bunch!

Michael Schwartz
07-17-2007, 2:42 PM
The one I made has been collecting alot of dust out of my skillsaw. Took me about 5 minutes to make and it only cost about 5 bucks. Great for Planer/Router tables when you are using a shopvac, but they will collect smaller dust as well.