PDA

View Full Version : I would love to work for Tormek

Randy Klein
07-16-2007, 2:47 PM
I just got a Tormek to test out on my path of sharpening enlightenment.

I set it up last night and noticed the leather wheel had a significant wobble to it. I measured it with my machinist dial indicator. I removed the wheel and measured for any runout on the arbor. There was less than a thousandth of an inch.
However, when I put the drive wheel (no leather wheel attached) back on and measure its runout, there was a 5 thousandth inch vertical runout and a 45 thousandth inch horizantal runout.

So I sent Tormek an email with the above problem and asked them the following questions:

Is the leather wheel supposed to wobble this much? Or did I get deformed drive wheel? What is the remedy to fix this?

I got back this reply (and it doesn't look like an autoreply): "We are closed for our yearly summer vacation from Monday July 9. We are re-open on Monday 6th August."

So back to the thread title: I would love to work for Tormek.

But I sent the email to Jeff Harris as well. And I got a reply with 30 minutes (glad he doesn't get the same summer vacation). Apparently those are normal tolerances, nothing to be concerned about.

Not sure what the purpose of this post was, I think I was just bored and waiting for a reply...

Joe Jensen
07-16-2007, 2:51 PM
That's pretty normal in Europe. Most countries have 5 or 6 weeks of vacation by law, and lots more holidays. Also, most people take their vacation in the summer so July and August are REALLY slow work wise there.

Sounds great, but keep in mind that most keep less than half after tax, with marginal rates as high as 90%....joe

Carl Crout
07-16-2007, 4:17 PM
I think that I would make them replace it. If you call it "significant" then obviously it bothers you................
Of course they will tell you that its normal because they don't want to replace it.

Mike K Wenzloff
07-16-2007, 4:29 PM
Why replace it? The next one will be the same or "worse."

It's a piece of leather on a piece of plastic. While it is possible the plastic wheel has less run out, the leather while is spliced together will always come with "run out." It's really just variance in the material.

One can true the leather wheel...but at 45 thou of basically wobble and only 5 thou out of concentricity?

Easier to take a piece of MDF and wrap it in leather and have a trued wheel. At least that would help the horizontal fluctuation. The leather surface could then be trued using a light touch with a rasp and have a fairly trued surface. Until the leather deforms from use.

Take care, Mike

Gary Keedwell
07-16-2007, 5:02 PM
Swedens rather inflated prices are a reflection of their economy. I have heard from alot of people that they will not buy their product for that very same reason. (something to do about supporting their lifestyle). ;)
Gary K.

Randy Klein
07-16-2007, 5:24 PM
Why replace it? The next one will be the same or "worse."

It's a piece of leather on a piece of plastic. While it is possible the plastic wheel has less run out, the leather while is spliced together will always come with "run out." It's really just variance in the material.

One can true the leather wheel...but at 45 thou of basically wobble and only 5 thou out of concentricity?

Easier to take a piece of MDF and wrap it in leather and have a trued wheel. At least that would help the horizontal fluctuation. The leather surface could then be trued using a light touch with a rasp and have a fairly trued surface. Until the leather deforms from use.

Take care, Mike

I didn't measure the leather wheel, but the drive wheel behind it. Of course that is plastic with a rubber ring, so your same assumptions may still be valid.

I have 90 days to evaluate this and I may ask for a replacement if I feel I'm not getting a good edge.

Mike K Wenzloff
07-16-2007, 5:30 PM
Hi Randy,

It will be a magnitude greater at the leather wheel's surface. Honing with the leather wheel will not be affected, though. Use a light touch else you will get a dubbed edge.

Personally I feel the leather wheel is only useful for turning and carving tools where honing is more difficult using a final polishing stone. However, flat edge tools can be successfully honed with it by using a light touch and skimming the surface of the leather.

If you intend on final polishing of flat edge tools, though, do consider making a honing wheel with MDF and hard leather (the Tormek's is a soft, pliable leather).

Take care, Mike

Randy Klein
07-16-2007, 6:29 PM
Hi Randy,

It will be a magnitude greater at the leather wheel's surface. Honing with the leather wheel will not be affected, though. Use a light touch else you will get a dubbed edge.

Personally I feel the leather wheel is only useful for turning and carving tools where honing is more difficult using a final polishing stone. However, flat edge tools can be successfully honed with it by using a light touch and skimming the surface of the leather.

If you intend on final polishing of flat edge tools, though, do consider making a honing wheel with MDF and hard leather (the Tormek's is a soft, pliable leather).

Take care, Mike

I do plan on using flat tools. Where can I get hard leather for this? I always heard that horse butt leather is a good candidate. Is this available in a form that can be wrapped around a circle?

Mike K Wenzloff
07-16-2007, 6:49 PM
Hi Randy, a hard leather belt from the thrift store is what I have used in the past. Cheap. Make a scarf joint and epoxy the joint. Oh, make sure to have the scarf oriented so the top seam doesn't turn into the tool.

Depending on how well the grinding of the tool is, you may well get on with the one which comes with the Tormek, though. My wife uses hers with good effect. But I still prefer using a stone following the grinding step--except turning and carving tools. I especially like touching up the carving tools while working via the T-machine.

But not while general woodworking. I hone frequently while working and taking the steps over and back to use the Tormek isn't as easy as having a stone set on my bench and honing between operations. As well, I only use the Tormek to grind new bevels, change angle, etc. All else is done by hand.

Take care, Mike