PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Good Morning.
16 Jul 2007

I don't know about any of you, but this past week was a whirlwind and a ball and chain for me. Getting ready for another Disaster Recover Exercise in Philly.

I'm sorry to say that I've not been in the shop for almost a week now. It's just that between job and family, I've had precious little time for anything else.

I've at least been dreaming of woodworking. :D

So what did YOU do this past weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Worked Saturday.....Used a little reverse hillbilly engineering to keep a supercon magnet...supercon.... 8 > ) Sunday.....mowed the lawn......did laundry......cooked meals....did the dishes....did more laundry.......Did I mention my wife's in Illinois and I hope to join her this weekend?.......

Matt Meiser
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Made 7 doors and 6 drawer fronts for the bathroom cabinets including one extra set of door rails to replace the test set I purposely made 1" short (really, I meant to do it,) mowed the clover and spread around the dust (grass is mostly gone since it is so dry), made a trip to Rockler to pick up a mobile base for my "new" jointer and a router table switch (probably spent more on gas than shipping would have cost.)

Steven Wilson
07-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Made a Tapestry Comb. A nice little project that my wife and daughter will find usefull.

Jim O'Dell
07-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Dennis, I got to the shop for a few hours, but didn't do much but sit in a chair in front of the fan, and think about what to do as the next project. Started a temporary addition from the TS to the multistation benches to create a long enough flat place to put the torsion boxes together on. Worked on sewer lines a little with no luck (gurgling master bath), and that is about it. Did get some rest though. Jim.

Al Willits
07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
What a weekend...all I have to do with the storage cabinet is drag it in the house and assemble it...YAAAAY
Also spent most the weekend cleaning the garage and hopefully it'll stay clean for awhile now as the next project after the brick molding on the kitchen window is the kitchen cabinets.

Sorry Karl, I tried again to get out to your place but after driving forever, I stopped and asked directions, some guy come out and asked where we all were going, it being just me, I figured he didn't have a clue, and went back home...when did Wisc become the Lone Star state anyway????

Al

glenn bradley
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I milled down some more rough fir for the 'next' bench support struts. changed my mind about the drawer configuration about 4 times. At least I haven't started building them yet ;-)

Brent Dowell
07-16-2007, 2:13 PM
I ordered some wood for a future project, Does that count?

Also spent some time on SU designing a new desk.

Other than that, was just too darn lazy this weekend to do anything but tend to the barbecue...

:rolleyes:

John Bush
07-16-2007, 2:44 PM
I turned three mallets for the contest on the turners forum. Bit of a gloat as these were the first things turned on my new PM4224.

Brian Clevenger
07-16-2007, 3:20 PM
I got my used PM66 in the shop and everything else moved around. What a mess. I guess I finally got it cleaned up late last night. Now I'm off to the lumber yard to get some WR Cedar to finish my mom's birthday Adirondack chairs.

Mark Pruitt
07-16-2007, 4:35 PM
My weekend was 9 days long.:D I spent every single day turning, except Thursday which went to cleaning the shop and driving to PA where I attended the annual Five Barns Picnic at Bill Grumbine's place. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61666) Had the pleasure of turning some things there, as well as seeing some really fine and talented people. Today I'm back at work, so I can feed my turning addiction!

Fred Voorhees
07-16-2007, 4:53 PM
Continued with the finishing efforts of my current armoire project. Using a wipe on tung oil and poly mixture and it has been fairly easy and a pleasure to work with. That took some time on Friday night and then Saturday morning I ran a few errands and gave the lawn a hair cut before throwing on another coat of oil/poly on the project. By that time, it was time to get ready to hit the road for the nights dirt track races at my weekly track, the New Egypt Speedway. I wound up finding a picture on the internet racing forum that I frequent that someone had posted Saturday night or early Sunday morning of the particular section of bleachers that myself and my racing buddies sit in each week and what do you know......there I am. You can see me directly in front of the red arrow. Yeah, I know, but it is me.

Sunday morning I ran for the usual bundle of Sunday newspapers, had a nice breakfast and then went and bought myself some new kicks. Came back and did some more work on the project in the shop and then got ready for the fellas to come over to watch the days NASCAR event.

Jude Kingery
07-16-2007, 5:01 PM
It was a great weekend! We went up to Lubbock for my husband's family reunion and then my husband also mounted a big Cherry blank for me! He's the best. This will be the biggest piece I've ever turned. A little intimidating, but lots of fun. We'll go ahead and mount the tail stock on it prior to really spinning it. Hope everyone has a good week! Jude

Don Bullock
07-16-2007, 7:19 PM
I actually got to spend a good portion of Saturday working on my mantle project. I got most of the molding and several parts cut and stained. My table saw and miter saw were in "full use." The molding is all ready to attach. Since my new 23 ga. pinner just came today, I guess that's what I'll be doing this evening. Sunday I spent much of the day watching NASCAR and cleaning out my office.

Don Taylor
07-16-2007, 7:39 PM
I finally got the base to my rolling sheet goods storage rack glued and nailed. Trying to gain that precious floor space back. :)

http://dontee.sistmllc.com/sheetcart/

Hopefuly I'll get the wheels and end caps on it tomorrow so I can set it on the floor and give it a plywood base and a tepee. :D

DT

Dan McGuire
07-16-2007, 9:06 PM
After spending the last three weekends milling rough sawn maple into respectable pieces of lumber and forming legs and stretchers for my new kitchen table, I started to cut the mortises for the short stretchers. Three of them are as close to perfect as I could make it (first time cutting mortise/tenons). I finally fell into the groove on the fourth mortise, the tenon slipped in just perfect, the fit was nice. I was really proud of myself...until I notice I cut it on the wrong side of the leg:eek:

Anyway, I will spend this week milling more stock to replace the leg I botched, but will get great satisfaction next satuday as I watch it burn while a suck down a couple of cold ones:D

Jim Becker
07-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Ah....my weekend was filled with "retail therapy" and sight-seeing in Shanghai China...really. An amazing experience. :D

Dennis, 'hope to see you again when you're in Philadelphia!