PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Gloat

steven carter
07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
While playing golf last week, I noticed a cherry tree had died on the 12th hold of Liberty Country Club. I know the superintendent very well, so I asked him about the possibility of getting some of the wood when the tree was removed, and he said I could have all that I wanted. So thanks to Bruce Gregory and also to Bill Elliot, who did the cutting (he even asked me how I wanted it cut). I am helping a friend of mine is learn to turn (which is like the visually impaired leading the blind).... anyway I got 16 pieces and gave him 10 . This is a picture of my portion. Needless to say there are some appreciation bowls/platters in the works for the above mentioned, plus for Gary Finch who used his truck and helped with loading and unloading.

Mark Pruitt
07-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Excellent score! I love turning cherry. Just a friendly reminder not intending to insult, have you sealed the ends of those pieces yet? The sooner the better. DAMHIKT.

Patrick Taylor
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Nice! Cherry is my favorite too.

steven carter
07-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Mark,

I just got a new gallon of Anchor Seal, and both ends were sealed within 2 days of cutting. I made the mistake once of letting a few days go by and was amazed at how fast the ends can dry out, even if the weather is not too hot.

Pete Jordan
07-16-2007, 11:35 AM
That is a bunch of beautiful wood! Enjoy!

Dave Sinkus
07-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Is this found at the borg's ? Order online from somewhere? I was just reading this and thinking I should do that for some logs of Black Locust (still trying to verify the species) I cut down over the weekend. This is in anticipation of entering the turning abyss.

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Great gloat Steven ! Looks like it's good stuff !! Now get busy !:D

steven carter
07-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Dave,

I get my Anchorseal from Highland woodworking in Atlanta. $20 delivered for a gallon.

Steve

Dave Sinkus
07-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Looks like it is buy it online. No problem, I was just hoping to pick some up on the way home from work.

Dave

Jim Sample
07-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Clay Johnson at Choice Woods has it on sale, just had an email from him.

Try him at clay@choice-woods.com. Priced at $10.99 per gallon, no limit on #. His shipping is not that bad, I need to call him and get 2 gallons at that price. He is in Louisville, Ky.

Great looking bunch of Cherry.

Jim Sample

Dick Strauss
07-17-2007, 9:15 PM
I think we paid $7-8 per gallon (via 55 gal drum) delivered a year or so ago. If you belong to a club and can get the other members to split 55 gallons, it might still be had for close to this price.

Dick

Steve Schlumpf
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Congrats on scoring all that beautiful cherry! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
07-18-2007, 1:21 PM
Wow now that is a whole lot of turning. Great gloat.