PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail boards with a jig saw

Steven Bolton
07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi:

I am wondering if it is possible to cut good tail boards using a high end jig saw like the Festool. I have a good way of making the pin boards. Some have mentioned a bandsaw would be better. If so, what blade would you recommend.

Thanks

Mark Singer
07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Drawer dovetails I cut by hand ..... The large ones in 8/4 are better cut on a bandsaw. The best blade is a 10 tpi very light set. .025 thickness. Lennox and Olson and Timberwolf have this blade... You can make jigs to control the angle. If your bandsaw trunion tolts left and right , then you are good to go! Otherwise you make an inclined table fot the pin boards...This is a Timberwolf listing

1/2 x 10RK

H 0 - ¾
S 0 – ½

frank shic
07-16-2007, 12:08 AM
steve, you can cut dovetails with almost any tool: hacksaws, bowsaws (the LARGE one that tage frid used!), handsaws, bandsaws, tablesaws, coping saws, routers, cutco knives (ok, maybe i'm pushing it here...) but get the idea? make sure you write up a detailed article and send it to some major wood magazine or festool and i'm sure it'll be published!

Jim Becker
07-16-2007, 2:22 AM
Undoubtedly, you can do the basic cutting with anything that "will fit" and then refine with chisels. That includes a jig saw; preferably one like the Festool or top of the line Bosch that has blade guides.

Michael Schwartz
07-16-2007, 3:13 AM
Bosch, Dewalt, and Fesstool all have their merits, and are all great tools. Fesstool is not the only manufacturer of top quality tools out there.

I have heard of people using skillsaws freehand to cut perfectly good dovetails.

If you have a decent jigsaw, go for it, I am not going to stop you. There is no harm at making an atempt on a scrap peice of wood. Worst case scenerio you have made a little bit of a mess on your shop floor, which is a good thing all on its own :rolleyes: