PDA

View Full Version : Fir 2x4 Jar lids

Jerry Allen
07-15-2007, 2:47 PM
I was intrigued by Dennis Kranz's tealight thread particularly about using old 2x4 scrap. Looked real nice for trash wood. I had done some other tealights last year out of maple--much easier (pic attached). I am used to turning hardwood and was a little taken aback at how easily fir crumbles when turning the partial end grain. I got over it and stuck to using just a skew and scraper.
Since I had a few pieces left over, I decided to try some lids using the same 2x4 scrap. Came out okay and were quick an easy to do. I will probably try some oak wood next time though.
The bottles are used Bush's Chili bottles. Mason and Ball should have similar ones.

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 7:24 PM
Neat idea on the jar lids!

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Really like the lid. What a great idea.

dennis kranz
07-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Jerry the best part is that one 2 x 4 will keep you busy for a week. I found another chunk of 2 x 4 and am going to try again tomorrow. Those jar lids are something I never would have thought of, great job.
Dennis

Jerry Allen
07-16-2007, 9:40 AM
Thanks folks.
I do appreciate the fact that 2x4s are convenient and inexpensive. I usually use them for tests and either cut in half or laminate but I had never tryed turning fir across the end grain. Takes a little extra care.
The lids on the Bush's Chili are ~2 15/16" in dia. I don't know what a Ball or Mason jar are but will check next time I'm in town--unless someone else has one around--please measure it. The Bush's lid fits in a 2x4 blank just fine.

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice work Jerry !! Thats one of the great things about turning, you can find a use for all wood !

Jerry Allen
07-18-2007, 5:30 PM
Went by the store (Albertson's) today.
Looks like Kerr and Ball lids are 2 3/4 and 3 3/8 for wide mouth, so 2x4s should still be okay. Different style glass affects the price. So a pint is about 70 cents and a quart about 90. Fancy short square ones were a buck. Better to get 15 oz. Bush's chili when it's on sale for $1.50 and you get a bowl of chili for 50 cents in the bargain. I'm sure there are better deals on Kerr and Ball Mason jars elsewhere, particularly if used.