PDA

View Full Version : I coulda been a contenda

Ron Sardo
07-15-2007, 1:42 PM
http://simplyturning.com/gallery/albums/Segmented/Segmented_Bubinga_Bowl_b.jpg

This almost finished as a hollow form.

I was speaking to another turner about a mishap I had a while back.

I had this piece vacuum chucked on a lathe when we had a power outage. You can guess what happen next.

This sat on one of my work benches (I think it used to be a table saw) for a while until I figured out how to remount it.

By the time I got around to it the form moved just enough to make it even more difficult so I decided with a little sanding I could make a bowl out of it.

It measures about 4.25" high by about 6.5" wide.
Bubinga, ebony and maple burl.

Thanks for looking

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2007, 2:07 PM
Ron.....sorry about the mishap.....The recovery however is beautiful. I really like the combination of woods you use. Very nice colors and grains....work well together IMHO!

Tom Sherman
07-15-2007, 2:21 PM
Ron I agree with Ken, nice recovery. I too like the combination of woods.

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-15-2007, 3:28 PM
Ron, this is a nice piece, but what appears to be cross-grain joinery at the top concerns me. I probably sound like a broken record on this subject, but cross-grain joinery is the biggest cause for segmention failure. Sometimes we get lucky; only time will tell.

Nancy Laird
07-15-2007, 3:54 PM
Ron, I really like this piece. I agree - nice recovery!

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2007, 9:31 PM
Ron - that is one nice bowl! Sorry to hear about the mishap but happy you were able to save this and share with everyone! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Ron great save and a great looking bowl. We had a outage while I was finishing turning a bowl. Had a hugh catch because the power came back on before I could move the gouge. You did a great job with it.

Jim Becker
07-16-2007, 2:06 AM
From adversity to advantage...this is actually an OUTSTANDING piece! Perhaps it was meant to be that way from the beginning... ;)

John Timberlake
07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Great looking recovery. Love the shape, the woods go together well, and your execution was good.

Ron Sardo
07-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone, sometimes yo do get lucky.

I'm going to give the design another chance to be a hollow form.

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Ron, it turned out perfect !! I like everything about it:) :)