PDA

View Full Version : Dunno Platter 2

Pete Jordan
07-15-2007, 1:41 PM
This is the second platter from the same piece of wood.
13" by 1"

Finished with Watco finishing wax and antique oil finish.

I bought the Russ Fairfield 3 DVD set and have learned a ton. The most important thing was to slow down the sanding which is what Dennis has been saying all along. It is hard to believe but I enjoyed 6 hrs of watching finishing.

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 11:09 PM
The platter is a beauty Pete. Kinda reminds me of cottonwood. You did a great job Pete.

Are those DVD on finishing? I take it they are worth having? Thanks Pete.

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Beauty Pete!

Kevin Day
07-16-2007, 12:37 AM
i like your platter pete you did a great job :D

bernie i been looking for what kinda wood this is i've seen it before and i think you right it does look like cotten wood most of the cotton woods we have here in missouri are lighter but you do find some with a black center and i've been told by the old timers that most of the cotton wood trees around her are a fast growning hybrid. they crossed the cottonwood with a poplar. the state likes to send them out in planting packages and they spread like wild fire .
i've never turned cotton wood but i know a lot of people around here like to have it sawed up into boards what they use it for i havent a clue i was alway told it didnt make very good wood to use for anything it was to spongey

kevin

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Perfect Platter Pete ! Say that three times real fast, bet you can't. Anyway another nice job:) :)

Mike Vickery
07-16-2007, 2:03 PM
Very nicework . The figure on the mystery wood is great.

Steve Schlumpf
07-16-2007, 3:57 PM
Very impressive Pete! Love the figure in the wood! Great job!