PDA

View Full Version : Belts For a Unisaw

Robert Conner
07-15-2007, 9:30 AM
I need a set of Belts for my Unisaw. The part list calls for # 49-124, which seems to be the same for most Unisaws. The model of the saw is 36-953, 3hp. I would rather get them at a local source perhaps an Auto Parts store. Does anybody know the size or Gates/ Dayton #s? I would rather have the new ones before I remove the old.
My goal is to get a set of belts for a decent price. I have read that Delta sells them for $50, and I would have to mail order. Since most belts are made to a standard, a Gates or Dayton number or correct size would ID them. I don't know if Belts are really sorted to match them as a set. Years ago that was done for certain car belts, I think now you are just given two with the same number.
I may also need a second set for a #34-802 3hp Unisaw I am working on. Same number 49-124
Robert

Jim McCarty
07-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I replaced mine 20 years ago. I got them from California Woodworking Machinery in Anaheim, Ca. They told me they had to be a matched set to work properly. I don't know if this really matters or not. Recently there was a thread on this site about using link belts on multi-belt saws like the Unisaw. You may want to read that to get some more info. Let us know what you decide to do. Jim

Robert Conner
07-15-2007, 10:30 AM
I like the Link belts, but I would rather have the regular belts as part of the Three belt setup. Besides they are less expensive. I have the Link belt on my JET Contractor saw and think it is great.
I just need a part reference number, not Delta, to buy some new ones. I would rather just buy them and not remove the old ones first. Never know if I can locate replacements and I may have to order them. I don't want to leave the saw apart.
I have been searching all morning to find a set locally by the Delta numbers with no luck.
Robert

Pete Bradley
07-15-2007, 11:15 AM
You can just measure the belt and match it up at mcmaster (www.mcmaster.com). They have a separate number for matched belts. Their shipping charges are high though if you don't need anything else. I expect Saw Center (http://www.sawcenter.com) sells them too.

Pete

Robert Conner
07-15-2007, 5:04 PM
Well I finally found the Interchange for Unisaw belts.
For anybody interested:
Delta #49-124 Original =Gates # 2260 or 4L260 Truflex belt Product # 84002260
Napa #NBH4L260 @$5.89
Now to see who has them locally.
Thanks to all for advice and help.
Robert

Bruce Page
07-15-2007, 8:09 PM
Robert, keep in mind that they do need to be a matched set. Typical over the counter belts are not matched and you could/will end up with one belt carrying the load while the other two are loose.

Robert Conner
07-15-2007, 9:09 PM
I wonder about the "matched belts". Years ago Chrysler corp called for matched belts on their A/C equipped cars (60s-70s). Generally it meant if you changed one you had to change both. Most parts houses even then did not receive them as matched pairs. When I changed them I always made sure they were the same brand, lot and age.
I wonder if Delta, who I am sure does not manufacture the belts does in fact get "matched sets" Same age, same lot perhaps but does anyone actually check them and pack as a matched set?
With the amount of Computer controlled machines used in manufacturing today I think the length is really exact on all of the same age and lot. Additionally if one belt were shorter wouldn't the stretch after an hour or so just match them up? One would stretch more then the other two.
This is just My Humble Opinion and I will yield to an expert.
BTW the NAPA belts at $5+ are supposed to be Gates, who might in fact produce for Delta.
Robert

Wes Billups
07-15-2007, 9:18 PM
Robert, I believe Goodyear makes v-belts for Delta, at least they used to. You are on the right path, any good parts supply store including many automotive supply stores will carry what you need. The 4L260 is an industry term so this number will work at any store.

Wes

Robert Conner
07-15-2007, 9:32 PM
I just did a search. The Goodyear part number is A24 a HY-T Plus belt, their version of the 4L260. This should make the search easier.
See what happens when you're sitting at home in front of a Computer on Sunday.
Robert