PDA

View Full Version : I tried some cigar pens...

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 1:28 AM
I like the way they came out, but they're not my favorite to do. The left is bubinga and the right is zebrawood. These served as dual purpose too, since I was trying the CA/BLO finish after a retreat to friction polish. On these, I did MM to 12000, burnish with paper, 3 coats of CA/BLO with 600 grit gently between coats. Then I buffed them with the white diamond wheel and hand applied Ren wax for extra durability. Sounds excessive I know, but I was trying to get the gloss I want with a bombproof finish. I'm pretty satisfied and they feel great. (Shane or Jim, if you're reading this, how do you get that crazy-high gloss?)

I have kits for the wall street II to try also, but forgot to get a 27/64" bit. Who has a 27/64 bit anyways??? :rolleyes:

Shane Whitlock
07-15-2007, 2:35 AM
Great job Patrick. The cigars aren't my favorite kit either, too fat for me, but a lot of ppl like them.

I pretty much do the CA and BLO the same as you. Sand down to my finest grit and then burnish with a bag. I hit it with the CA and BLO, wipe off any excess BLO, if there is any, with a paper towel and give it a light sanding with 2000 and then I use the paper bag again. I fold the bag over the blank and give it a good squeeze between my thumb and fingers and move it back and forth over the blank (lathe running of course) until it starts to warm up and then stop. I repeat these steps for each coat.

I usually do about 4 coats but have tried more. I don't think ya really gain much by the additional coats. After the CA and BLO I buff the blank with White Diamond and carnauba wax and then finish polishing it up with a clean cotton wheel. I tried EEE on a couple of walnut blanks but I think I got carried away and stripped the finish off so I wont do that again.

I got the 27/64" bit at Woodcraft.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 8:13 AM
...After the CA and BLO I buff the blank with White Diamond and carnauba wax and then finish polishing it up with a clean cotton wheel....

Thanks! What do you think of the durability of carnuba when it's handled a lot (like a pen)? Has it held up well for you? Where did you get the cotton wheel?

Thanks,
Pat

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 9:52 AM
Patrick those pens are beauties. Great job on them. I did one cigar pen and didn't like it. My brother thinks it is great but there is something about them. I like the El Grande better. I buff mine with the cotton wax buff that comes with the Beall system. I put the Ren wax on, let dry and then buff very lightly. I just got some TSW from Bill at AS. Going to try some of that.

Shane Whitlock
07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks! What do you think of the durability of carnuba when it's handled a lot (like a pen)? Has it held up well for you? Where did you get the cotton wheel?

Thanks,
Pat
Maybe its not cotton, I could be wrong, probally just linen. Its just your basic cheap white buffing wheel that I that I picked up at HF. I should of mentioned above that I use very little WD and carnauba, just a light touch to the wheel with them and I will do several pens without applying more. I think its mostly the friction/heat generated while buffing that gives the CA finish the glossy look rather than the little bit of wax that is used. Anyways, I don't know if its the best way to do it or not but after experimenting with some scrap blanks its what gives me the best finish. I still have my first pen I turned and have used it quite a bit, it still looks good.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 1:29 PM
Maybe its not cotton, I could be wrong, probally just linen. Its just your basic cheap white buffing wheel that I that I picked up at HF. I should of mentioned above that I use very little WD and carnauba, just a light touch to the wheel with them and I will do several pens without applying more. I think its mostly the friction/heat generated while buffing that gives the CA finish the glossy look rather than the little bit of wax that is used. Anyways, I don't know if its the best way to do it or not but after experimenting with some scrap blanks its what gives me the best finish. I still have my first pen I turned and have used it quite a bit, it still looks good.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Thanks for the data point! I'll give carnuba a try sometime and see how it holds up. BTW, those cocobolo WSII's inspired me to try that kit. They are fantastic. :)

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 2:36 PM
Very nice Patrick. Maybe I'll graduate to the big boys in a few months.

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 8:03 PM
Very nice Patrick. Maybe I'll graduate to the big boys in a few months.

With the looks of your first it will be faster than that!

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Nice pens Patrick !! I like the looks of the Cigar Pens but don't like to use them.