PDA

View Full Version : Another MONSTER Gloat!

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 1:21 AM
I got my monster hollowing system II yesterday in the mail. Randy even hooked me up with an extra surprise. I can't say enough about the quality of workmanship and the customer service too.

I roughed out a side-grain low-and-wide cherry HF and here it is after the DNA.

Then I tried the same with a punky piece of box elder, and shot it across the room when I broke the tenon with a good catch! :eek: Fortunately the standing position for hollowing is out of the line of fire.

Jim Becker
07-15-2007, 2:52 AM
Patrick that doesn't look like a hollowing rig...more like a hollow-form to me... :D :D :D

(Congrats and well done on what is pictured!)

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Congrats Patrick on the Monster tool. You are right it is top notch quality. HF looks mighty fine to. Can't wait to see it finished.

Steve Schlumpf
07-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Congrats on your new hollowing system! If you get the chance - please post a couple of pictures of the setup. Getting real close to a decision on a system and every little bit of info helps! Oh yeah - nice HF! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Tom Sherman
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Lookin good Patrick, bummer that one got away from ya.

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 1:41 PM
Congrats on your new hollowing system! If you get the chance - please post a couple of pictures of the setup. Getting real close to a decision on a system and every little bit of info helps! Oh yeah - nice HF! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Steve,

I turn on a Jet mini, but will upgrade within the year. I will get a captive system then, but for now I need something that I can use by hand. I looked at all the major hand-hollowing tools, and Randy's seems to have everything I need. Importantly, I can easily upgrade it to a captive system when I have the "forever lathe". I got the "system II" from this page: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page4.php
No special setup beyond that. I even use the stock jet mini toolrest.

I'm thrilled with this system, and really enjoy using it. I can see the benefit of a captive system, but until I can get one this set will do wonderfully. Highly recommended.