PDA

View Full Version : same blade different tool

Mike Jones NM
07-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone interchanges blades between tools? I have a table saw, miter saw, and radial arm saw that all take the same blade.
Seems like it would be a little more cost effective to have a general run of the mill blade for all of them but only one finish or other type blade that you can swap out as needed for any of the tools.
Any problems with this?
Thanks

Joe Spear
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
The miter saw and radial arm saw need blades teeth formed at shallower (or even negative) angles for better control when you feed the piece. Tablesaws can use blades with more aggressive, positive angles. Charles M. from Freud may have something to say about this.

John Grogan
07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Given the amoount of money you have invested in these three tools, I think you will find that you would want a blade for each saw. You wll probably want a ripping blade for the table saw and a cross cutting blade for the RAS or chop saw. The ripping blade will do a much better job on the table saw than a general purpose blade. I just got a WWII for my table saw (I had beeen using a general purpose Freud) and the difference is noticeable

In addition, it is a PITA to keep changing blades for each saw.

James A. Wolfe
07-15-2007, 1:24 AM
I'm a big fan of the Forrester Woodworker blades and I have found that the difference between their I and II is pretty dramatic. Due to rake angles etc, one is recommended for the table saw and one is recommended for the RAS. When my RAS blade was out for sharpening, I put the table saw blade on it and was amazed at how much more "grabby" the blade seemed and the cut quality wasn't what I was used to getting. I've never switched again.
Jim

Jim Becker
07-15-2007, 3:01 AM
RAS and CMS can theoretically use the same negative hook blades, but they should not be used with a table saw blade that has a positive hook angle. But I agree with John, having a dedicated blade for each of the CMS and RAS would make more sense...they are really not that expensive, especially if you don't do a premium blade on the tool you use the least. And changing blades on tools like a CMS and RAS is often a pain in the you know what just due to the logistics of the guards, etc.

Randal Stevenson
07-15-2007, 3:07 AM
Freud has an ultimate crosscut blade (LU85Rxxx) that gets good ratings on the table saw and the miter saw. They have another blade (LU83Rxxx series) that is designed for the table saw, but is VERY close to the Mr. Sawdust blade that the old time DeWalt RAS fan's use. It is one of the ones currently considered the Poor Man's Mr Sawdust blade. (not a common group)
Table saws are generally a positive hook angle, SCMS, RAS, are generally negative hook angles. The regular miter saws, I have seen both ways. Seems with the blade designs you generally get two out of three.
Blades SEEM expensive (and are when you start out poor like some of us), but a good blade with a properly aligned tool, can improve the quality of work from a cheaper tool.

scott spencer
07-15-2007, 6:41 AM
I typically use a general purpose type blade in my TS. I own one 80T negative hook crosscut blade that I keep on the CMS, and will swap it out on rare occasions for my TS .

Mike Jones NM
07-15-2007, 2:03 PM
Appreciate all the responses. Think I will go ahead and invest in blades as suggested.
Mike