PDA

View Full Version : Pen Mandrel

GLENN THOMAS
07-14-2007, 7:57 PM
Is the diameter of all pen mandrels the same. In other words, I have a mandrel from Woodcraft, will bushings from somewhere else such as Penn State fit.

Thanks for the help.

GT

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 8:55 PM
There is a A mandrel and a B mandrel. The A is 1/4 inch or they call it a 7mm mandrel. Not sure what the size is on the other one. I only have the one size. All the 7mm kits from all the different companys have worked on it though.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 9:21 PM
I bought the cheaper Woodcraft mandrels myself. I thought it odd that they didn't list the "A" or "B" sizing like I'd seen elsewhere. So, I just measured the Woodcraft mandrel... it is .248" or 6.3mm size. So I'm guessing that it'd just need comparing to whatever size (A OR B) that another seller specifies? If a "B" mandrel runs bigger, I'll need to buy one.....unless Woodcraft has bushings that would work.

Rich Souchek
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
GT,
The 7mm ("A") mandrell offered by all the different manufacturers vary slightly, but only by .002" or so.
The bushings and mandrels offered by offered by one company should work best together, but that doesn't mean that mixing whatevers will be off by much.
For slimlines and cigars, who cares about an extra 3 thousands. A carefull turner should mic the turned pieces to match the pen pieces.
If one was turning a high $ blank on a $150 kit, it would be worthwhile to match suppliers equipment (but bet it is not done.)
Rich S.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I bought the "A" and "B" mandrel from Bear Tooth Woods. If you buy a kit that takes the larger mandrel 7 mm bushings will not fit. My "A" shaft measures .246 and the "B" shaft measures .291. If you are going to do all sizes of pen kits from slimlines, Euros, Cigars, Barons and El Grandes you will definitely need both shafts. Just my humble opinion.

GLENN THOMAS
07-15-2007, 7:25 AM
Thanks for the help. Its not like we wont be able to eat for week if I were to buy another manderl or too cheap, but Im to impatient if I had a pen kit and needed wait a week for a mandrel to be shipped.

Thanks again
GT