PDA

View Full Version : cedar and walnut segmented pitcher

mike fuson
07-14-2007, 7:47 PM
Well cedar is still as hard on my nose as it was 20 years ago when I first used it. This little pitcher is about 8'' tall, buffed antique oil finish. I got a new idea for another one of these while this one was spinnin', hope to start it before long. Comments welcome
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/cedarwalnutpitcherface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/cedarwalbackside.jpg

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 8:02 PM
WOW! I really like that!!!

Nancy Laird
07-14-2007, 8:26 PM
Just gorgeous, Mike!!

Nancy

Gary Garmar
07-14-2007, 8:31 PM
Beautiful turning Mike. Are there any concerns about mating a hardwood with a soft wood?

Mark Cothren
07-14-2007, 9:00 PM
I like that a lot, Mike!!! Makes me think of musical notes/notations...

Shane Whitlock
07-14-2007, 9:02 PM
Great job Mike .... Really like the form

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 9:20 PM
Oh my goodness, man that is pretty! (and pretty impressive!)

Dale Stagg
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Absolutely Beautiful. Would love to see how you did that. It is great. Congrats.

Cory Martin
07-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Awesome mike, it is just stunning!

Pete Jordan
07-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Mike,

There is a lot going on and it all seems to work!

Nice job!

Ernie Nyvall
07-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Aw yea... those two woods look great together. Nice one Mike.

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Mike you nailed that one. It is beautiful. Boy I like how that cedar and walnut looks together. You did a mighty fine job on that one Mike.

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I really like the design and wood color combination. Form has a nice flow to it. Nice finish. Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Jim Becker
07-15-2007, 2:56 AM
That's really a lovely piece! Outstanding!

If you do another one with this combination, it would be interesting to see it with staved construction as an alternative to the type of segmentation you used for this piece.

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-15-2007, 9:45 AM
Mike, that's a very nice piece - congratulations. The joinery looks very tight, but I'm curious about the top connection. I looks like you've added the walnut with the same vertical grain direction which is the way to go, but as you probably know, an end-grain to end-grain joint, all by itself, it not the most ideal joinery. I've added a top piece such as this with a hidden half-lap joint thereby creating a little side-grain to side grain connection, hidden within the wall (like a lidded box, but glued). With your angled joint, I'm guessing that that has not been done here (would be very difficult). I like the angled joint, but I have concern about long-term stability. It'll probably be fine; it's just my nature to worry about such things.

Curt Fuller
07-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow Mike, that's a beauty! Everything about it is nice.

Mark Pruitt
07-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Dang, Mike! You're really soaring high with this one!

Fill 'er up!:cool:

Tom Sherman
07-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Very cool Mike, I have wondered how these two woods would look together, but not up to segmenting quite yet.

mike fuson
07-15-2007, 1:53 PM
Mike, that's a very nice piece - congratulations. The joinery looks very tight, but I'm curious about the top connection. I looks like you've added the walnut with the same vertical grain direction which is the way to go, but as you probably know, an end-grain to end-grain joint, all by itself, it not the most ideal joinery. I've added a top piece such as this with a hidden half-lap joint thereby creating a little side-grain to side grain connection, hidden within the wall (like a lidded box, but glued). With your angled joint, I'm guessing that that has not been done here (would be very difficult). I like the angled joint, but I have concern about long-term stability. It'll probably be fine; it's just my nature to worry about such things.

My thoughts exactly Malcolm, I have turned the little half lap on several pieces, and started to on this one and just make the walnut piece angled. The more I looked at it the more I thought it just wouldn't look right. So I thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a try like this and see how much it would move over the next little bit and it would be beneficial for my own knowledge. I have found that wood will expand and contract the most in the first year, so if it makes it through that ,I believe it will be fine.

The other question asked; about the soft cedar and harder walnut together. The only thing I found about this mixture is in sanding. The cedar tends to want to sand away faster than the walnut as you might expect. Light sanding is necessary to keep from getting dips.

Rob Leslie
07-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Mike,

As a new turner, I'm very impressed and puzzled. What were the steps you used for: glue up, turning, final assembly, finish, etc., etc.?

Eventually, I'll get some pictures up of the few bowls I've turned to-date. But for now, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

How'd you do it?

mike fuson
07-16-2007, 1:32 AM
Mike,

As a new turner, I'm very impressed and puzzled. What were the steps you used for: glue up, turning, final assembly, finish, etc., etc.?

Eventually, I'll get some pictures up of the few bowls I've turned to-date. But for now, I'm still trying to learn as much as possible so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

How'd you do it?

Rob, this is actually on of the harder ones that I have done. Lineing up the segments for glueing is critical and hard to do on one of these. I didn't take a picture of this blank before turning, but this one is done in the same manner
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/100_0134.jpg

this is what the blank looked like before turning
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/segbeforeturn.jpg
So just imagine the maple in this one being the cedar in the other ,just smaller pieces. The rings at the top were added later. Hope this helps

Keith Burns
07-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Mike, you just keep raising the bar ! Sheeeze............Great piece !!