PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID?

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 7:47 PM
Got this in one of those grab boxes of exotic woods. I think I've seen a picture of this stuff before but can't remember where. I didn't know this grain was inside, I really like it, but it's a little 'busy' for what I had planned for it. This is small piece (about 2") so the rings are pretty tight.

mike fuson
07-14-2007, 7:54 PM
Mike, I'm thinking this is Wenge. But I'm no authority on the exotics.

Jerry Allen
07-15-2007, 8:59 AM
Maybe zebrawood?

John Shuk
07-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking wenge too. Have to see the face grain to be sure.

Bonnie Campbell
07-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Looks to tight of grain coloring for any zebra I've seen. Never seen wenge....

Colin MacDiarmid
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
I think its wenge, I have attached a photo of a wenge bowl,hope it works and helps

Jim King
07-15-2007, 2:20 PM
It is a dead ringer for Black Ipe. Where did you buy it ??

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 2:29 PM
I'm thinking wenge too. Have to see the face grain to be sure.

It is a dead ringer for Black Ipe. Where did you buy it ??

Went ahead and made a pen out of it. Very open grain, had to do some filling with CA and sawdust. It came out of an exotice grab box from Woodcraft.

Dick Strauss
07-15-2007, 4:47 PM
Mike,
could the pic be of end-grain lacewood?

Greg Savage
07-15-2007, 5:39 PM
It Is Wenge........It should have a chocolate-like smell and nasty splinters!

Jim King
07-15-2007, 5:49 PM
I will take a close up of a piece of black Ipe tomorrow at the same angle you took your photo. As I said it is a ringer for Ipe but I dont think Woodcraft has it in their grab boxes yet. Many of these exotics are impossible to tell apart without a chemical analysis or pore print.

I can assure you that the best experts in the world will tell you that experts really do not exist in tropical wood ID. I have been at it for a long time and have one of the best in the world working with us now for three weeks and he is so catious about being sure it can take a couple years or more to ID a wood.

The most important thing is your peice looks nice.