PDA

View Full Version : Pen Starter Kit Arrived...

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 7:40 PM
Well, my starter kit arrived and here are the first two. The left one is Carob, the other is birdseye maple; I did the maple first. You can't see it from the picture but the wood on both is very pretty. Just couldn't resist posting anyway.:o

(I know, I know, but how can I work on my photo setup when I keep finding square things that MUST be made round?):rolleyes:

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 8:04 PM
They look really good! And the grain is very nice :)

Randy Dear
07-14-2007, 8:19 PM
where did you get your starter kit?

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 9:15 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Starter_Sets___Beginner_Kit___pen_beg inner_kit?Args=

Everything you need to get started. You might want to order a few extra tubes. DAMHIKT!

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 9:23 PM
Did you use CA or epoxy when gluing your tubes? I went with epoxy since I know I'm sloooooooooow lol

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 9:28 PM
I use both CA and epoxy depends on how big of a hurry I am in.
Very nice pens.

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 9:29 PM
I told you not to ask me that! Yep, I was too slow on the very first one. I got it about halfway in and decided I needed a bit more CA on the end and it stuck like... well, glue. After that I knew what to expect and had no more problems.

Since you've just started also, how did your first drilling go? All of mine have been "good enough" but not really centered on the back end.

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 9:39 PM
Mike how are you drilling now? I use the lathe with a chuck and a jacobs chuck in the tailstock to do all my drilling now. Centered almost every time.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 9:40 PM
Ya know that saying Mike DAMHIKT :D.....

My first piece drilled fine (fine enough anyway lol) The second piece.... well, lets say it's a VERY good thing I had another piece of that wood ;)

I had my bushings with when I drilled so I could compare my off center drilling to make sure I could use the pieces, lopsided drilling or not. There was enough wood around where it would fit so I used them. Turned out okay. Trying to figure out a 'vice' that I can concoct to hold the wood on the press better since I only have a two inch depth on my press.

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Mike those are some good looking pens. Wood is great. You did a nice job on them. Mike I use 5 minute epoxy if I am doing one pen or 20 min when doing several. I use epoxy because I just can't stand using CA because of the fumes. I made a clamp out of a 2 X 4 and a piece of 1 X 2 with a hinge. I jointed the 2 X 4 so it would be sqaure on all sides. Clamp it to the drill press and drill.

Mike what finish did you use on them?

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Well, I've only drilled three so far. I've done one on the drill press, it's a really cheap bench top that isn't very accurate. The other two I did on the lathe with the jacobs chuck in the head stock. I don't have a 4 jaw chuck so I don't have good way to mount the blank in the head. I hoping to get better with practice.

Mike A. Smith
07-15-2007, 12:19 AM
I used friction polish (came with the kit) and Liberon wax. I plan to try BLO/CA.

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 1:13 AM
Way to go Mike! Give the CA/BLO a try. Watch the video at woodturnerruss.com for directions. I've followed them and it's easy and simple. I drill my holes by hand with the blanks in a clamp. I even did this tonight for a cigar pen with a 3/4" blank (doesn't leave a lot of room for error). I didn't want to buy a drill press and haven't yet. maybe someday!

Great job!

James A. Wolfe
07-15-2007, 1:47 AM
Mike,
I think I have the same drill press you have, a less than precise tool. I use a small hand screw wood clamp to hold my blanks and they come out dead on. I glued a block on one jaw to keep everything square.

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-981684reg.jpg
Jim

Shane Whitlock
07-15-2007, 2:41 AM
Great job Mike .... Your hooked now! Pen turning is addicting, it will be a while before ya get back to turning bowls ;)

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Patrick Taylor
07-15-2007, 8:14 AM
Pen turning is addicting, it will be a while before ya get back to turning bowls

I find myself going back and forth... when I tire of one, I switch to the other for a change of pace. It's been really nice.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Nice first pens Mike! They are quick and fun!