PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones and magnets?

Tony Sade
07-14-2007, 4:50 PM
I just bought a new cell phone, which came without a holster. Many of the after market holsters that I see use a magnet for a closer. Do magnets pose any problem for the phone, or in the case of one which uses a media card, the card itself? I've always been wary of putting magnets near media of any kind, but no one at the phone store had a clue--probably cuz they wanted to sell me one of their overpriced models. (Kinda like having to pay extra for a cardboard and mystery meat sandwich on an airline flight.;) )

Thanks,

Jim Becker
07-14-2007, 8:37 PM
The magnet isn't an issue for the phone. I actually use a magnetic arrangement to hold my E62 to a car mount when I'm driving. The holster on my belt "as I type" also has a magnetic clasp. And media cards are solid state memory...not "magnetic recordings" as you would have with a tape. No problem.

James A. Wolfe
07-15-2007, 2:08 AM
Tony,
The two areas of concern with magnets and electronics are magnetic storage media and CRT displays. Your cell phone has neither so there won't be a problem.
Jim

Justin James
07-16-2007, 8:26 PM
Tony, magnets won't work. Try a 32 ounce framing hammer, they usually work well.

Oh wait, you wanted to keep it, not fix it . . . never mind.

Tony Sade
07-17-2007, 8:12 AM
Thanks, Jim and Jim.

Uhh, Justin, I only use duct tape and WD-40 to fix things. I avoid hammers because I usually hurt myself. :D

Tony, magnets won't work. Try a 32 ounce framing hammer, they usually work well.

Oh wait, you wanted to keep it, not fix it . . . never mind.