PDA

View Full Version : RAS Blade

Jay Yoder
07-14-2007, 3:28 PM
HI all...i recently purchased an older craftsman heavy duty RAS and it came with no manual...it is a model 196420 and i need help with dialing it in... also what are the best blades for crosscutting plywood?

Michael Schwartz
07-14-2007, 5:36 PM
Large drafting triangle to square the blade to the fence, framing sqaures aren't accurate enough.

Set the depth of cut to 1/8" or so into the table surface.

Don't cut plywood with a Radial Arm Saw, never rip with one either. It is tempting to use a radial arm saw to crosscut panels, but
just because you have a 20+ inch cut capacity doesn't mean you should do it.

As far as a blade is concerened, get a blade made for a sliding miter
or radial arm saw. Freud makes a few, so does forest etc... Blades
for Radial arm saws genearly are going to have a negitive hook angle, and
are going to take a limited bite out of the wood to help prevent kicbkack.

Most importantly be very careful.

There are alot of older woodworking books out there that have alot of info on Radial Arm Saws. Just ignore the information on using them for ripping, and shaping.

Randal Stevenson
07-15-2007, 2:21 AM
That is not the complete model number. Should start out with something like 113.
Craftsman has a standing recall on their radial arm saws, and you might qualify for a new top and guard. Search for Radial arm recall and you will find it. Their email is disconnected, but the phone number work and would also get you the manual (with safety and alignment info). You might also find the manual over at OWWM (Old WoodWorking Machines).
I would recommend the Mr. Sawdust book, although their are a couple of others that are popular. (although his blade recommendation, only available via Charles at Forrest, is more of a solid wood blade)
Freud blades are going to be your best value (as a lot of the Craftsman saws weren't known for holding their alignment).
That should give you enough info to get you started.

Jay Yoder
07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input...will see what i can come up with...any chance you have the phone number?

Randal Stevenson
07-15-2007, 11:30 AM
PM'd you.

Safety links are generally allowed, so for future searches of anyone who comes later:

www.ftc.gov
www.radialarmsawrecall.com