PDA

View Full Version : Bullet pens?

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Are there kits for these? I know a LOT of hunters that would like them, but I've no idea where to start..... I've got all kinds of empty brass (hubby can't reload it ALL lol) so I'd like to try making up pens with some.

Daniel Heine
07-14-2007, 3:11 PM
Slimline kits work very well with the cartridges. Just don't use the slimline busing on the end that buts up to the cartride, you want to turn that end to the same size.

Dan

Ron Mitchell
07-14-2007, 3:38 PM
Bonnie,

I've made a few bullet pens and I used a nickel plated 7MM MAG cartridge
for the bottom of the pen with Deer Antler on the top with a brushed nickel clip. and a pen made from two 30-06 cartridges with a rifle shaped clip, which required no turning at all.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/AntlerNickelBulletPen.jpg

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/remnantswoodshop/30-06DoubleCartridgerifleclip.jpg

The process is simple. I use a slimlime kit for both pens I take the used cartridge and drill out the primer with the 7mm drill bit. I purchased ten
10 inch long slimline brass tubes from "Craft Supplies USA". the 30-06 & the 7MM Mag cartridge is about 1/4" longer than a standard slimline brass tube. I cut to size and glued the tube into the cartridges then I turn the antler the same as any other 7mm slimline kit. the only difference is when you are putting the pen together the twist mechanism needs to go deeper
into the bottom cartridge so the ink refill comes out the proper distance from the nib.

I hope this helps you, and sorry for the bad photos

Please post your pens when you done, I would like to see them.:)

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 4:08 PM
Bonnie not sure if you can see this one or not. I wrote a tut for cartriage pens. It is the first and only one I have ever done. So please no laughing.:D
http://www.2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=121264

One small change when you start to insert the tube in the cartriage use some 1/4 shrink wrap tubeing on the tube and it will center in the tube perfect. Just a small peice will do.

Marvin Hasenak
07-14-2007, 4:58 PM
Bonnie I use 308 brass on my pens, they are a pretty close fit for the tube in length, and the bullet end fits the nib of the pen. Drill them out on the primer end with an I size drill bit and the tube is a tight fit, I use epoxy for the glue, CA just doesn't cut it for me. 2 cartridges back to back with a Slimline kit like the one pictured above works great.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 6:36 PM
Cool! Thank you all for your help.

Very good tutorial Bobby, thanks :)

By the way, what is 'shrink wrap tubing' and where do I get it?

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 7:18 PM
it is used on electrical conections. You can get it at any auto store or even Walmart has it. I get mine at HD

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 8:06 PM
Thanks again Bobby. I'll check the auto stores (Walmart is on our do not shop list :cool: ).

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 8:35 PM
Here are 3 sets pen and pencil that I have been trying to get finished for a month now. every time I get a set finished somebody comes by and wants it.
These are for a 93 year young woman in Galveston for her 3 sons that are hunters.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 9:03 PM
Very sharp looking. Is that antler tops?

(wondering if hubby would notice tines missing from his mounts lol)

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 9:26 PM
All of them are Axis deer horn tops. By her request.

Mike A. Smith
07-14-2007, 9:35 PM
Man, if I ever go commercial... If you guys sell on-line, give me a link and I can probably send some business your way.

Bonnie Campbell
07-14-2007, 9:46 PM
How is it turning antler? Any problems to watch out for?

Paul Heely
07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
The antler I've worked with turned pretty much like wood. Nothing special that I had to do with it. Be careful drilling it because most pieces will not be perfectly straight. It does leave an interesting taste in the back of the throat when working with it, I've started wearing a mask anytime I cut or turn it.

Bobby Perry
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Bonnie it stinks:D. But it turns ok. Use sharp tools.