PDA

View Full Version : Laser purchase

Kirt Head
01-18-2004, 2:13 AM
Hello, I am a new member to SMC- I have lurked around here from time to time and finally decided to joing the group! I am interested in purchasing a laser for my small shop but the expense out-of-pocket is rather high for a small shop. I am assuming that a "good" system will cost me in the neighbourhood of $15,000 US and I make Canadian dollars so the cost would be even higher here in the Great White North( I prefer to buy the best and most powerfull equipment I can, so advice on the subject of what manufacturer(s) to consider would be appreciated). Are there any of the manufacturers that offer a leasing or credit payment method so that a smaller business could realistically afford to enter the laser segment market?? I know that in the area where I live that I would most likely be the only business in town that would have one (if I can lease or make a payment approach)and I would without a doubt be able to make a very nice income from it. I must also admit that as a "craftsman/artist I am smitten with the possibilities and it the many uses I could have for it in my shop-I am also a wood turner and make some income from selling my work but this laser would open new and exciting avenues both for the creative side of me as well as economically.Having seen some of the fantastic work displayed here I can see how I would incorporate it into my existing work as well as a seperate business venture. Sorry for the length of this post but I am quite serious about investing and need all the advice you all might have to offer.

Thanks for all your help,
Kirt H

Keith Outten
01-18-2004, 7:31 AM
Kirt,

I was in a similar situation as you a couple years ago when I purchased my laser engraver. I run a one-man workshop and was concerned about the financial burden of such an expensive tool. After some research I decided that Lasers are so versatile in the materials and processes that they will support it would be reasonably easy to justify my purchase.

If you decide to finance you equipment and after a down-payment you end up with a $15,000.00 loan you would need about $25.00 per work day to make the monthly payment. If you sell one plaque each day you are easily in the black. A four hour job can make your monthly payment. The difficult part is learning which jobs are profitable and which are not.
Your existing products will undoubtedly increase in value when you add engraving. This will most likely prove to be your strongest reason to add a laser to your shop.

Laser manufacturers are like car dealers and often have financial programs and incentives to assist people in their purchase. You will have to visit their web sites and contact each company to find out what programs they have in a given time frame.

You must allow a period of time to learn to use a new laser, they are not simple tools and there can be a steep learning curve when computers and software enter the equation. I suggest that 30 to 90 days is about the normal period of time required to gain enough confidence and expertise with your new laser. During this time period you may not see any income so you should plan accordingly.

The best course of action is to purchase Corel Draw and learn to use the program before you buy a laser engraver. This will shorten the period of time between receiving your new laser and the day that you are income positive. If for some reason you are unable to learn to use a commercial graphics program you would be wise to reconsider purchasing a laser engraver. Probably 98% of the work is graphics related.

Contact Epilog and Universal, these two companies are the most widely known and from the information you gain from them you can evaluate other machines. Choose wisely, the machine you purchase should have the features that will support the type of work you plan to do in your shop.

There are other woodworkers here who own lasers, hopefully they will jump in here and share their experiences.

Kirt Head
01-18-2004, 1:39 PM
Thanks for your reply Keith, can you assist me with the web site address for Epilog and Universal-do they both have leasing or credit purchase options?? I have spent) the better part of the day sofar explaining the value of a laser to my shop to LOML and even she is forced to admit that it has great potential (I have been unable to stop thinking up ways and uses for it!! It seems only to be limited by the users imagination:D). I see using it for making custom templates for dovetail jigs for my router and for making indexing wheels for my lathe......oh the list goes on and on and thats not even getting into the "artistic embellishments"!!

Thanks for any help,
Take care,play safe
Kirt H