PDA

View Full Version : New CROWN PRO PM Elsworth gloat.

Bill Wyko
07-13-2007, 9:03 PM
I just couldn't wait for the woodcraft sale. They only had one of these on the rack so the vortex got ahold of me and made me do it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:p Now to run the gauntlet.(the driveway to the workshop) without being seen:D

Jim Becker
07-13-2007, 9:14 PM
I love all of my Ellsworth gouges, including a PM like yours. Wonderful tools! Congrats!

Jim Bell
07-13-2007, 9:14 PM
My favorite turning tool. I hope you were able to get the Ellsworth sharpening jig with it. Properly sharpened this tool rarely will see a catch.

Gary Herrmann
07-13-2007, 9:21 PM
Ooh, thats nice. I wonder what I can sneak by the CFO when I get to WC...

Pete Jordan
07-13-2007, 9:55 PM
It is also my favorite tool.

Congrats!

George Morris
07-13-2007, 11:25 PM
My favorite also, he is a great teacher highly recommend his class!! George

Bernie Weishapl
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Congrats Bill, that is one great tool. I love mine and know you will to. Great tool.

Bill Wyko
07-14-2007, 4:54 PM
I got to take it for a test drive last night. All I can say is WOW. That thing turns wood into ribbons. Not only will it rough but it'll clean up the mess when your ready.

Bill Wyko
07-14-2007, 5:44 PM
My favorite turning tool. I hope you were able to get the Ellsworth sharpening jig with it. Properly sharpened this tool rarely will see a catch.
I have the JET wet sharpener. I also got the device made for sharpening gouges. Is this the one that will sharpen this grind or is there a different one?

Jim Becker
07-14-2007, 7:12 PM
Bill, I don't know if the Ellsworth sharpening tool will work with a "non-regular" type grinder such as your Jet. It needs to have it's pivot point in an exact spot relative to the face of the wheel, both in height from the centerline and distance out from the face. And given you'll want to easily be able to quickly sharpen that gouge before all your finishing cuts, you also need to consider convenience. For some woods and especially spalted material, it's not unusual to renew the edge after no more than 30 seconds to a minute for the finest finishing cuts. (Another reason I have multiples of the tool) This is not to remove much material from the gouge, but to insure that you have an absolutely keen edge for shearing cuts.

Bill Wyko
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll take a picture tonight and post it. Let me know if this jig will do the job properly. If I need to get a different jig I'll do so. This tool is way to expensive to take a chance with.

Bill Wyko
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I posted pics on the wrong thread but they might help there too. Here's a pic of my jig. I did notice that with the pivot point of this sharpener, I can't lay the tool all the way over to the very edge. I haven't actually sharpened it yet but I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up. If there's a different sharpener I should be using I'd appreciate a pic please.

Patrick Taylor
07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I posted pics on the wrong thread but they might help there too. Here's a pic of my jig. I did notice that with the pivot point of this sharpener, I can't lay the tool all the way over to the very edge. I haven't actually sharpened it yet but I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up. If there's a different sharpener I should be using I'd appreciate a pic please.

Bill, I have the tormek wet grinder (similar to your Jet) and I have the tormek gouge jig to go with it. Look at the photo of SDV-185 on this page (http://www.tormek.us/en/jigs/). I can lay the gouge on it's side to sharpen the wings of my swept-back bowl gouge. There's a video of the jig in action. I think your jig should be able to do the same thing, but I've never used it. It also looks like the tormek jig may work on your grinder if it came to that.

Edit: here's the photo from the tormek site:
http://www.tormek.us/images/introduction/photo/svd-180-big.jpg

Bill Wyko
07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Patrick. I think I like your set up better. Mine is limitted to the angle of the V groove on the pivot point where yours will allow you to rotate around far enough to get the edges. I'll pick one up today. Thanks.

Tony De Masi
07-18-2007, 1:17 PM
I plan on picking up at least one of these at WC on the 28th. Can't wait.

Tony

Patrick Taylor
07-18-2007, 1:19 PM
Thanks Patrick. I think I like your set up better. Mine is limitted to the angle of the V groove on the pivot point where yours will allow you to rotate around far enough to get the edges. I'll pick one up today. Thanks.

I'd take the Jet bar with you to check the fit of the tormek jig.

Bill Wyko
07-18-2007, 2:18 PM
Actually WC has them both on display next to each other. Thanks.:)

Jim Becker
07-18-2007, 8:28 PM
Keep in mind that any of these alternative jigs/sharpening systems will give you a nice side-grind, but it almost certain that it will be different than the original Ellsworth grind. That's not a problem as long as you like the results and get an absolute consistent result each time.

Tony Falotico
07-18-2007, 8:35 PM
Check in the Tormek book -- it gives the 'formula' for the Ellsworth grind using the SDV-185.

Great tool, mine gets a lot of use.

Bill Bolen
07-18-2007, 9:14 PM
I sharpen my DE bowl gouge on my Tormek with the 185 jig. Works well but the side grind for the DE is not identical. The link below is a guy who sharpens his DE on a Tormek using the oneway jig. I’m not far from making one myself. Looks simple and cheap. Hope it help you…Bill
http://www.turningwood.com/tormek.htm

Bill Wyko
07-19-2007, 3:30 PM
Jim, I don't know if that tool could get any better. That thing is incredible. I did go pick up the Tormek sharpening jig today though. It has many better features than the JET and I'm a real JET fan but it's just better.

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 4:43 PM
Jim, I don't know if that tool could get any better. That thing is incredible. I did go pick up the Tormek sharpening jig today though. It has many better features than the JET and I'm a real JET fan but it's just better.

I hope it does what you want. I really like mine and it works well for me. Did they give you the book with it?

Bill Wyko
07-19-2007, 4:49 PM
What book:confused:

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 4:53 PM
What book:confused:

My tormek system came with a book that has a chart of angle settings and such for the 185 jig. (it also has a bunch of stuff unrelated to the 185) Did you get such a chart?

Patrick Taylor
07-19-2007, 4:55 PM
Ok, it looks like you can download it from the tormek site:

http://www.tormek.us/en/handbook/download.php

If you can't get it email me and I'll make sure you at least get the chart that you're interested in. ;)

Skip Spaulding
07-19-2007, 5:43 PM
Wish you hadn't posted that, now I have gone from really want to "got to have"!

Bill Wyko
07-19-2007, 6:02 PM
Trust me, it's definitely a "got to have" but you might as well get the tormek sharpening jig or it'll be just about impossible to sharpen. It'll have no problem covering the floor in beautiful wooden ribbons.