PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Night Stands

Dan Oliphant
07-13-2007, 6:54 PM
After being married for 32 years, I finally got around to making the wife a pair of night stands. I have made many other pieces for around the house, just nothing for the bedroom.:o
The first photo is one of the two pieces, the carcasses are solid cherry, bun feet are turned cherry also. Bail pulls are antique rustic red. Finish is Pennsylvania Cherry gell followed by one coat of pale shellac, then glazing for color blending, then a top coat(3) gloss lacquer, sprayed.
The second and third photos show the drawer construction, fronts are all half blind dovetails, backs are through dovetails. The drawer boxes are made of hickory. The last two photos show the drawers just proud of the carcass by about 1/8 inch(by design:) ). Drawer fronts were chamfered on all four sides. Moldings were all made for this project, no store bought.

Thanks for looking.

Bert Johansen
07-13-2007, 7:00 PM
Dan,

Superb workmanship! Nice looking, too. Thanks for sharing this stunning pair of nightstands. The cherry you selected is marvelous. And it will only get better with age. The REAL question is, does SWMBO like them?:)

John Fry
07-13-2007, 7:11 PM
DanO,

Very nicely done!

From the sliding dovetails to the grain layout, it's all first class. The proud and chamfered drawers are a detail I've never seen, and I like the touch of "topography" it presents.

John Timberlake
07-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Love them. Great pieces of cherry put into a good design. She will only want more after these.

Roy Wall
07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Beautifully done Dan!! They look terrific..tight joints....love the grain.

You should be proud of these!

Don Bullock
07-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Those are beautiful Dan. Excellent craftsmanship.

I've been married for 35 years and still haven't made any bedroom furniture.;) :D

Rick de Roque
07-14-2007, 1:07 AM
Love the grain on the night stands. Cherry is a beautiful wood.

Rick

jim gossage
07-14-2007, 5:58 AM
Nice work. i especially like the front grain.

Pat Germain
07-14-2007, 10:21 AM
I also really like those sliding dovetails; very nice touch.

You know, this project as well as others posted here get me to wondering. Is it even possible to buy furniture this nice these days? While I'm sure such pieces can be custom ordered from a craftsman, I've never seen anything close to furniture like this in an actual store. The closest would probably be the "Amish Showcase" store near me. Their stuff is nice, and really expensive, but not nearly as nice as Dan's nightstand.

Anyway, major props for that nightstand, Dan. Your work is both beautiful and inspiring.

Dan Oliphant
07-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments, yes the wife is happy with them too.