PDA

View Full Version : Confusion with Woodpecker's Website

John Buzzurro
07-13-2007, 4:59 PM
It's probably just me, but I need another opinion on this. There is a page on Woodpecker's website for one of their router table packages. On it, everything in the picture is included, except for the router plate. At the bottom of the page, it says "SAVE $34.80! Add Plate or Lift for special price at checkout."

How would you interpret that? Here's the link: http://www.woodpeck.com/24x32tablecombo.html

Lloyd McKinlay
07-13-2007, 5:28 PM
"All router mounting plates, lifts etc… are sold separately and can be selected at check out for a reduced price. Price does not include shipping."

Chuck Lenz
07-13-2007, 6:08 PM
As far as I know you won't find a nicer plate than the aluminum plate that they sell, and the ring set is iceing on the cake. At first when I ordered the plate and ring set I thought it was kind of pricey, but once I got it all in my hand I realized the quality. I had looked at all the other router plates on the market and I'm glad I chose Woodpeckers. Top notch.

Jason Beam
07-13-2007, 6:30 PM
I would interpret it as everything in the picture except for the plate. I don't see a lift, so i wouldn't expect to get one - especially since lifts are router-specfic.

The statement "Add plate or lift for special price at checkout" tells me that if I add this package AND a lift or plate, then my cart should show a combo-price of some kind that equates to a savings of 34.80.

John Buzzurro
07-13-2007, 7:15 PM
I would interpret it as everything in the picture except for the plate. I don't see a lift, so i wouldn't expect to get one - especially since lifts are router-specfic.

The statement "Add plate or lift for special price at checkout" tells me that if I add this package AND a lift or plate, then my cart should show a combo-price of some kind that equates to a savings of 34.80.

Jason's response is to the point of this post. My interpretation was that if you ordered a plate in addition to the table package, an additional $34.80 would be deducted from the order. I spoke to Woodpecker, and this is not the case. What they told me was that they would deduct $5 or $10, depending on which plate you ordered. They also explained that the $34.80 is what you save by ordering the table package instead of buying all those components in the package separately.

john

Don Bullock
07-13-2007, 8:47 PM
I discovered that several weeks ago when I was thinking about buying a router table from them. While their products may be great, the "discounts" they offer are usually very small. I think that their shipping costs are high, but I could be wrong.

Per Swenson
07-14-2007, 8:08 AM
Woodpeckers. My couple of shekels.

For me they float at the top tier of product

and customer service. No ifs ands or buts.

I could write paragraph's even a small sappy love story,

but I would sound like a shill.

I just accept I get what I pay for. In woodpeckers case

a whole lot more.

Per

John Buzzurro
07-14-2007, 9:03 AM
Let me just clarify my point. I'm in no way questioning the quality of Woodpecker's products. I've purchased from them before, and their products are great.

I'm simply asking how you would interpret that web page.

Per Swenson
07-14-2007, 9:56 AM
My Apology's John,

I should have prefaced that statement by

addressing your question first.

Straight to the horses mouth I would go.

Call them. A human answers the phone every time.

A knowledgeable human.

Wait.. a knowledgeable and nice human.

I gotta stop or this could evolve into the first chapter of that

story.

Per

Chuck Lenz
07-14-2007, 9:57 AM
I would interpet that the table is $399.95 . Weather thats a sale price, I don't know, you'd have to check with Woodpeckers I guess.

John Buzzurro
07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I've already spoken with Woodpecker's (see post #5 in this thread). I know their interpretation. I just don't agree with it.

The key phrase on the page is: "SAVE $34.80! Add Plate or Lift for special price at checkout."

What does that mean to you?

Mike Heidrick
07-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Sign up for their email discounts. This week (through 7/24), they are having freeshipping. Freeship is the code to use.

Chuck Lenz
07-14-2007, 2:52 PM
Ok, so what does that mean ? Woodpeckers is bad ? I don't get what all the fuss is about. They explained it to you and thats the price, cut and dry.

Jason Beam
07-14-2007, 3:05 PM
John,

I'm glad to see you and I seem to think in a similar manner. Means i'm not alone!!! :D

Everyone else:

Forget what company it is. Forget everything about the web page. Nobody needs to defend them. The OP was simply wondering if he's the only one who got confused by the wording.

So.........

What does "SAVE $34.80! Add Plate or Lift for special price at checkout." next to the "Add to cart" area of a router table package mean to you?

Do you see it as "By adding a plate or lift along with this product, I'll see a $34.80 discount overall?" Or, as John's said, do you see it as the company states "The $34.80 is a savings on the product. The 2nd sentence isn't related at all to the dollar amount that precedes it. You will get a special price, as the sentence says, but it isn't $34.80?"

The way I read it, they're implying that I could save an additional $34.80 by also buying a lift or plate. The wording is exactly the way I've seen it elsewhere and expect the same result. The company clearly thinks otherwise.

I might consider pointing out the confusion and they'll likely change their wording to help avoid it. I have no doubt that they're not trying to take advantage of anyone, I just think their wording is not accurately reflecting what their saying.

... I should re-read things before I hit post, just to be sure I am not way off base ... yeah, i think i'm in-line with what John's looking for ... Sending! :D

Jason Beam
07-14-2007, 3:12 PM
Ok, so what does that mean ? Woodpeckers is bad ? I don't get what all the fuss is about. They explained it to you and thats the price, cut and dry.

I may be speaking out of turn, here, but I don't think that the OP caused the fuss. The responses to his post really weren't what he was after, and i think that's where the fuss came in. Maybe the OP wasn't clear in his asking. That'd be ironic if his wording confused a question about confusing wording.

I personally don't see anything in the OP's posts that made any statement about woodpecker's being good or bad. I saw someone asking if the wording was confusing and he was hoping people understood that was his question. Clearly that wasn't the case, and he tried restating his question with clarification. Apparently some folks still don't quite get it.

I'm hoping that I'm not making things worse, here, but it really seemed obvious to me what the OP was asking for. It's not a value judgement. It's not even a complaint! He said "Maybe i'm a dope ... but this sounds confusing" ... he wasn't firing at them, at all.

I share in John's frustration ... some of the replies, while valid posts, are way off the subject. I really don't see how this thread could have gone the way it has ... i'm dumbfounded by it's direction, but hopefully I'm not making things worse by trying to help clarify what I saw the OP asking.... hopefully.

Mike Heidrick
07-14-2007, 3:14 PM
Save even more:

RT2743 Package 1
$497.95
2743pk1
http://www.woodpeck.com/media/icon27x43tablecombo.gif (http://www.woodpeck.com/27x43tablecombo.html)
SAVE $49.80! Add Plate or Lift for special price at checkout.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Chris Kalkowski
07-14-2007, 3:30 PM
"All router mounting plates, lifts etc… are sold separately and can be selected at check out for a reduced price. Price does not include shipping."

What Lloyd stated....................

Jake Helmboldt
07-14-2007, 4:06 PM
I agree with John; regardless of whether their products are good (and they certainly appear to be), the "save $34.80.." is deceptive. Like John, I took that to mean that you got that amount of discount on a plate or lift, which is not the case. In fact, going through the site and checkout, I don't know what that supposed discount is. I shouldn't have to stop mid-order and call somebody to find out why I'm not getting my discount (which it turns out you don't really get).

Those types of website arrangements are especially annoying, in my opinion. It doesn't mean I won't buy from them, but I do think it detracts from their service, because it appears to be a discount that isn't really a discount.

JH

John Buzzurro
07-14-2007, 4:50 PM

I'm only trying to determine whether anyone else finds the wording on their site to be confusing. It wasn't a statement about whether Woodpecker's is good or bad. They explained the facts, I complained about the wording to them, and they can choose to leave it or not. I don't care. Fact of the matter is, I decided not to make the purchase after knowing the facts. And yes, I knew about the free shipping promotion.

I appreciate all the responses. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :)

Larry Rasmussen
07-15-2007, 12:37 AM
I think sometimes folks don't read from start to finish here. I just made a purchase this morning from them and go a little mixed up on the free shipping part so will comment.

Yep, I think their shipping is a little high too, agreeing with one poster earlier. I wait for the free shipping when I can. You put in the code and shipping still shows. If you continue at some point it tells you that the shipping will still show up on order but you are not charged. It still is a little disconcerting to get their receipt and thank you by email acknowleding the order and seeing the shipping still on there. Lame.

I do have some of their stuff, namely a quick lift plate to be installed tomorrow and a plate for a Porter Cable oscillating drum sander I have. I agree the quality is top notch.

Ron Robinson
07-15-2007, 9:41 AM
I read the web page as the $34.80 being the amount saved when buying the package. An additional savings would be added if a lift or plate were added to the order.

Ron