PDA

View Full Version : No Oil Base/Alkyd Paint in Maine

Jim Crockett
07-13-2007, 3:29 PM
According to two local hardware stores, they are no longer allowed to sell oil or alkyd based paints because they do not meet the VOC standards set by the state.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I'm repainting my kitchen cabinets and really, really wanted to use alkyd based paint. Seems that if I use latex, I might as well throw the paint at the object I'm painting as use a brush - they'll look about the same. I find it impossible to maintain a wet edge on anything wider than 3 or 4 inch stock. Panels - forget it! Hmmmm, maybe I could just pour the paint on the panels straight from the can?

JimC

Larry Fox
07-13-2007, 4:01 PM
You might want to take a look at a tinted lacquer as an alternative to paint. Take a look at TargetCoatings.

Ken Garlock
07-13-2007, 4:04 PM
If it were me, I would go to an adjacent state and buy what I wanted.

Jason Roehl
07-13-2007, 4:35 PM
It really doesn't matter. Why? Because much/most of the paint/coatings technology research over the past 10-15 years has been in waterborne products anyway. IMO, waterborne products have met or exceeded oil-based products in many categories in performance, durability and usability. Plus they dry much quicker.

Sherwin-Williams' Pro-Classic Waterborne Enamel is a good one. There are a few other folks here that can chime in with some others as well, but I have the most experience with that one for a very hard enamel. (I've even sanded out sags within a couple hours, definitely sandable the next day without balling/gumming up like "latex").

Steve Schoene
07-13-2007, 8:27 PM
According to two local hardware stores, they are no longer allowed to sell oil or alkyd based paints because they do not meet the VOC standards set by the state.

Interesting, because according to and article on the Sherwin Williams website, alkyd paints in quart containers are exempt from the ban.

Jim Crockett
07-13-2007, 9:36 PM
I haven't checked at a Sherwin Williams because there isn't one within an hour or so from where I live. Will have to check the next time I get to the "city" and see what they can offer (like maybe a class on how to paint with latex!!!).

JimC

Ron Brese
07-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I'll have to agree with Jason that the Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is quite good stuff and I think would rather use it than the Alkyd Enamel. Of course I sprayed my kitchen cabinets with the Pro Classic so I don't know how it would apply with a brush, however the durability has been quite impressive.

Ron Brese

Jason Roehl
07-13-2007, 11:35 PM
The ProClassic isn't the easiest paint to use with a brush, but with a little practice, it can be brush applied with virtually no brush marks. I've seen excellent oil jobs with more brush marks...