PDA

View Full Version : First try at laserMax - 35 watt settings?

Allan Wright
07-13-2007, 3:22 PM
I have a friend coming over Monday, but to do my first paying job using LaserMax. I had him order the material so I don't have it or any of the documentation that may have come with it yet.

He's aware there will be a learning curve, but I was hoping I could get some suggestions on where to start as far as power/speed for both cutting and engraving.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer,
Al

Brian Robison
07-13-2007, 3:33 PM
Did your Legend come with a book?
It should have estimates on speeds and powers as well as htz.
I have a 25 watt and I'm going to try to remember my settings.
Raster 600 dpi 100 speed 100 power
Vector 17 speed 100 power 2000 htz.
for best results I've found it good to base my htz. on my speed. I use 1000htz. for 10% speed, 2000 for 20 .......
I don't get too wrapped up in it though, withing 500 or so seems close enough.
Use just enough power/ speed to go through the material.

Joe Pelonio
07-13-2007, 4:13 PM
Mine's 45 watts but my manual shows the 30/35 watt at:

Rastor 400 dpi speed 100 power 60

Vector Speed 40, Power 40, Frequency 500

Keith Outten
07-13-2007, 4:26 PM
I'm using LaserMax for ADA signs vector cutting text. Cant help you with the power setting since my machine is 60 watt but I recommend vector cutting from the back side.

Allan Wright
07-15-2007, 4:00 PM
I have to engrave and cut at the same time, but thanks for the tip about cutting from the back. I'll use that some time.

Allan Wright
07-16-2007, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. The settings from the manual for engraving worked perfectly. Cutting was a different story. Settings from the manual worked well for straight cuts on a test piece, but as soon as I tried to cut a curved outline, the laser just preforated the piece. I dialed up the power and that helped, but I think I need to dial up the frequency still. I'll try more tonight.

On the up side, this thing is going to come out really nice. Photos once I perfect the cutting.

Allan Wright
07-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks to all, these came out great. I did them for 3 years, 05, 06 and this year. This is of course an '06 one.

These will have pin backs glued on them by the customer and club members will get them for attending their annual state-wide ride.

Allan Wright
02-18-2008, 6:17 PM
I did another job using up some of the leftover LasrMax I had and this time when I cut it the edges came out sticky. Did I use too much or not enough power? Is there any way to clean the sticky gunk off the edges?

Scott Shepherd
02-18-2008, 7:13 PM
Denatured Alcohol will make it "unsticky" for the most part. One of the most commonly used tips I ever learned on this forum.

Keith Outten
02-18-2008, 9:15 PM
I did another job using up some of the leftover LasrMax I had and this time when I cut it the edges came out sticky. Did I use too much or not enough power? Is there any way to clean the sticky gunk off the edges?

Allan,

I vector cut ADA letters and numbers from LasrMax. After I have the text glued to the plaque I clean the letters and numbers with a pencil eraser, it is the only thing I have found that does a good job and is quick.

Gary Hair
02-19-2008, 1:44 PM
Denatured Alcohol will make it "unsticky" for the most part. One of the most commonly used tips I ever learned on this forum.

I use DNA to clean off the residue from the edges and Novus 1 and 2 for the face. 1 for any light haze and 2 for anything that 1 won't remove. The nice thing about Novus is that is shines it and helps keep fingerprints from smudging the shine.

Gary

Allan Wright
02-19-2008, 4:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try DNA and a pencil eraser. Both sound like good solutions.