PDA

View Full Version : Thank from Newbie!

Bob Moyer
07-13-2007, 3:00 PM
I posted this in the jigsaw thread, but since I have received help in a lo of areas I thought it needed it's own thread.

Thanks to all who responded; I will be following eBay auctions and craigslist for the highly recommended Bosch jigsaw. I greatly apreciate a forum like this where individuals act like gentleman and are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

After many years away from working in the carpentry area (I worked for my uncle who was a builder as a youth); I am a 59 year old accountant; the urge for working with my hands was rekindled by 4 different mission trips I made to Mississippi with my church to help in the rebuilding of homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina. I was exposed to a lot of the new equipment (I'll refrain from calling them toys since; safety is of extreme importance). I helped constructed walls, install windows and doors and a ton of repairs.

Since my last trip in the beginning of May, I decided to remodel my garage and create a small workshop. I apologize ahead of time for questions that a beginner should know, but as a novice, I realize asking someone is better than just an internet search.

Again, thank you!:D

Don Bullock
07-13-2007, 9:24 PM
Bob, welcome to Sawmill Creek. You and I have a lot in common. I'm just a year older and just getting back into woodworking after more than 20 years away from it for the most part. I'm having a blast! As you said, the people here are fantastic. The're here to help and encourage others. I'm sure glad that I stumbled into this place and am "getting my feet wet" as I get back into woodworking.

Bob Moyer
07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Bob, welcome to Sawmill Creek. You and I have a lot in common. I'm just a year older and just getting back into woodworking after more than 20 years away from it for the most part. I'm having a blast! As you said, the people here are fantastic. The're here to help and encourage others. I'm sure glad that I stumbled into this place and am "getting my feet wet" as I get back into woodworking.

What I have found so far is how civil, this forum is compared to some others. In one of the forums(Golf related) there is too much testostorone for me.

Alan Greene
07-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the creek. There is a very wide range of experience here, and like you, I have received a lot of help from the great folks here. It is a real pleasure in this day and age to have such a wonderful, friendly place to exchange ideas, experiences and information. Kudo's to all and the moderators who keep it this way.