PDA

View Full Version : Transport Air Compressor

Ron Franssen
07-13-2007, 2:19 PM
I have a relatively new air compressor that began smoking and actually blew out the oil plug (crankshaft end) the other day. I transported it to the service center, secured, but laying down.

I wasn't concerned on the trip to the repair center as the unit is under warranty. However, when I get to bring it home, generally speaking, is there a problem with transporting it laying down? The compressor is a vertical unit and a little to large to fit upright in my enclosed trailer.

thanks for the input.

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2007, 2:32 PM
I have a relatively new air compressor that began smoking and actually blew out the oil plug (crankshaft end) the other day. I transported it to the service center, secured, but laying down.

I wasn't concerned on the trip to the repair center as the unit is under warranty. However, when I get to bring it home, generally speaking, is there a problem with transporting it laying down? The compressor is a vertical unit and a little to large to fit upright in my enclosed trailer.

thanks for the input.

We just did this with an enclosed trailer and a 60gal upright. We bolted the compressor to a smaller palett and then tipped it and carried it into the enclosed trailer. Once inside it stood upright just fine. We used ratchet brace bars on each side braced against the middle of the trailer (cannot brace on the door) and then ratchet tied it to each corner. Worked pretty good. Hauled it about 55 miles that way.

Steven Wilson
07-13-2007, 2:47 PM
if you drain the oil out and block to support the motor it should be ok.