PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth Jig on smaller bowl gouges?

Rob Leslie
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Has anyone used the Ellsworth Jig (the official one) for putting an Ellsworth-type grind on smaller (e.g. 3/8" bowl gouges)? I know the jig is made to exactly fit the 5/8" gouge, but it appears that one could center a smaller gouge in it and then hold it in place with the hold down screw.

I do have the vari-grind jig as well, so I'm sure I could get a reasonable fingernail/celtic grind on a 3/8" gouge, but I was hoping to better mimic the Ellsworth grind, which I really like on the Crown-PM 5/8".

Any suggestions?

Rob

Dick Strauss
07-13-2007, 1:14 PM
Rob,
You can always slide a wood shim (1/4") with a very slight taper into the fixture along with your gouge to take up the gap.

Dick

Paul Andrews
07-13-2007, 5:10 PM
The newer version of the Ellsworth jig will work with a 1/2" gouge as you hold the gouge to the left side of the jig and tighten the set screw. Works fine.

Bill Turpin
07-13-2007, 9:29 PM
Fold a piece of scrap sheet metal into a |__| shape. Drill a hole in the horizontal section for the set screw. Invert it in the Ellsworth jig. Use appropiate thickness/es of tin cans, tin, etc until you get a snug, centered fit. Have fun. Make it removable so that jig will work for various gouges.

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Bob Vallaster
07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
As Bill suggested above, you can line the hole and keep the gouge concentric with the jig's geometry. A well-stocked hardware store will have sleeves or bushings to handle that step-down. You might have to buy two: big-to-1/2", then 1/2"-to-small.
The nylon bushings that come with a new grinder stone also can do this job, or get you half-way. These too are available at the hardware, but most of us have a collection in a bin somewhere...

Bob Vallaster

Rob Leslie
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks to those of you that posted. What are most of you doing with (for example) a 3/8" bowl gouge that you want to put a fingernail/celtic/Ellsworth type grind on? Are you using the Vari Grind jig, modified Ellsworth jig, freehand, or ???? I understand that some folks use the 5/8" Ellsworth gouge for both large and small bowls.

What's your preference?

Bill Wyko
07-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I haven't had to sharpen mine yet but this is the jig I have to do so. The pic was just a quick mock up. I did notice that this jig will not allow me to come all the way around the cut before lifting the pin out of the V-groove. Does anyone have a pic of a sharpener that is designed for this tool?