PDA

View Full Version : Pen turning- how to?

George Skinner
01-17-2004, 8:50 PM
All this talk about the freedom pens has gotten me interested in turning pens.
For me and others that would like to start turning pens, and know nothing about it where do we start?
What kind of lathe, tools, supplies etc. do we need?
Also where can I get information on how to turn pens?

I do a little lathe turning but am by no means an expert.

Looking forward to contributing.

Thanks

Ken Salisbury
01-17-2004, 9:16 PM
All this talk about the freedom pens has gotten me interested in turning pens.
For me and others that would like to start turning pens, and know nothing about it where do we start?
What kind of lathe, tools, supplies etc. do we need?
Also where can I get information on how to turn pens?

I do a little lathe turning but am by no means an expert.

Looking forward to contributing.

Thanks

There are several good books on pen making. Do a google search for them. John Showler has a pretty good tutorial on his web site (http://jeswoodcrafting.com/)you might want to check out.

Chris Johnson
01-17-2004, 9:20 PM
For someone wanting to turn pens and still have the capability of turning bowls and spindles and other items, the Jet Mini is a steal at $199. You will need a mandrel or two ($9.95- $30) and a basic turning tool set ($29.95 at Harbor Freight). The tools are good learning stok, and will let you make some mistakes and sharpening blunders before you spend the big bucks on great tools. Something to cut the blanks to size (a $9.95 miter box will do) and something to drill the holes. Some sandpaper and MicroMesh if you want a great finish. The whole setup including some pen kits can be done for under $300. Here is what I use to produce my pens:

Jet Mini Lathe
Drill Press
Pen Drilling Vise
Pen Mill(s) 7mm and 'O' sizes
Delta Chop Saw (for cutting blanks)
Four Woodcraft $9.95 pen mandrels (I swap and keep turning)
Sand Cloth in 150, 240,320, & 400 grit
MicroMesh Kit (1500 to 12000)
Turning tools (I use a skew, spindle gouge, and 2 different parting tools)
Some finishing products ( I use Deft 50/50 with thinner, wipe-on poly, friction polish, or CA)
Glue (CA, poly, epoxy, etc.) Use what works for you

Hope this helps. Here is a sample:

Aaron Koehl
01-17-2004, 9:45 PM
Thanks, Chris. This kind of contribution really adds value to SawmillCreek. Perhaps we can find a volunteer to submit something to the articles forum, as it promises to be popular.

_Aaron_

Chris Johnson
01-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Just let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks, Chris. This kind of contribution really adds value to SawmillCreek. Perhaps we can find a volunteer to submit something to the articles forum, as it promises to be popular.

_Aaron_

Scott Greaves
01-18-2004, 1:04 AM
Hey George,

Digger has given you good information. I also like Ken's suggestion of books. I personally like the book by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham.

But if I could, I'd like recommend a video by Bill Baumbeck. It is a great video for beginning pen turning. Bill really knows his stuff. He runs Arizonasilhouette.com which is also the best place around for stabilized wood pen blanks.

Have fun!

Scott.