PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Boxes

Burt Alcantara
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
I've looked at a few books and web sites about finishing boxes. Specifically, the flanges. I can never tell if the flanges are left unfinished or finished. I recently dunked the flanges of a box that I cut too loosely but it's still drying (Formby's).

I finished the flanges on two other boxes but guess I didn't let them cure because now the lids are inseparable (Walnut Oil and beeswax).

What's the consensus here?

Burt

Rich Souchek
07-13-2007, 10:49 PM
I leave the box flanges unfinished just for that reason. Finish here would tend to mess it up soemhow.
The walnut oil and beeswax finish referred to was aminly for his using bowls and platters. That finish makes sense on them, but not on boxes.
Each of us use different finishes on our work, as we see fit.
Myself, I keep a pail of friction finish nearby for simple tools, boxes, whatever. It is a mixture of 1/3 BLO (boiled linseed oil), 1/3 mineral spirits, and 1/3 shellac. I like it because I can finish the simple object on the lathe and it is done by the time it is removed.
Rich S.

Burt Alcantara
07-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Rich,
Do you turn it with a rag to shine it up?

Burt

Rich Souchek
07-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Burt,
Yes.
Say it is a small box or tool handle. I finish sand the surface, then wipe or blow off dust. Dip samll portion of rag in mixture, then coat the surface well. Give it a minute or so to soak in, then wipe off with paper towel.
Then lathe on slow, wipe off again.
Then speed up lathe, and hold clean section of rag aginst work to smooth the shellac out and buff the finish. The friction heats the work and finish up, and the excess finish is rubbed off on the towel.
The finish comes out fmooth and satin gloss or glossy.
Several notes:
DO NOT get fingers wrapped up in towel, you can hurt yourself bad that way.
The finish can get thrown off the wood in a readial pattern. I keep haveing to clean splatters off my glasses.Rich S.