PDA

View Full Version : Shopmade DT marker

Ken Werner
07-13-2007, 10:12 AM
I copied [stole] this design from a well known professional who has it for sale on his website. Its simplicity captivated me, and it works very well.

About 3 inches long, with a 10 degree angle.

Mike Henderson
07-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Perhaps the proper phrasing should be "this was inspired by the design of a well known professional...":)

Nice looking - it should work well.

Mike

Ken Werner
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Mike, you're very kind to offer a different spin.

Ken

Jim Nardi
07-13-2007, 1:37 PM
I'd like mine to have a flat top it makes it easier to see if your marking knife is going offline. Always fun making jig's

Andy Hsieh
07-13-2007, 2:40 PM
That is really nice - I've tinkered with the idea of making it...If I could ask a question or two:
how did you cut it? table saw, band saw or handsaw?
what type of wood did you use?

thanks

Ken Werner
07-13-2007, 3:18 PM
I cut the 80 degree angles on my TS. I set the miter gauge to 10 degrees, and held the workpiece against a square piece of scrap. It's best to work with a longer piece - 8 inches or so, and then trim to length after machining.

The cheeks were cut on the band saw. Dimensions, and precise parts were adjusted with hand planes.

The wood is cherry.

Geoff Irvine
07-16-2007, 3:46 PM
Hello Ken,
I got fed up with using the wrong end of the marker so I made one marker for the different ratios 1:6 1:7 1:8 and 90degrees out of a beech offcut. This offcut was quartersawn on end. I cut a T section as shown in the first picture. I used one of the square pieces to turn a handle for the warrington hammer in the fifth picture. Cutting the angles was a matter of setting the angle on a chopsaw and measuring the resultant angle on a waste piece until correct. I carved the letters on them with the marking knife - this is an old glass cutter with a blade made from a jigsaw blade as per Derek Cohen. I find the little squirrel tailed plane excellent for removing the arris.

Geoff Irvine
07-16-2007, 3:49 PM
I missed one of the photos