PDA

View Full Version : "Good" tool purchases - 100% satisfied with,,

Rich Engelhardt
07-13-2007, 8:05 AM
Hello,
I thought a good companion to the bad tool thread would be one for "good tools". Not so much the obvious, but ones that worked out exactly as planned or better than planned.

My list:
#1 is the Kreg pocket hole jig.
Wonderful tool/accessory.

#2 - DeWalt blades. I've had a great deal of success with DeWalt blades -moreso than any of the others that I've tried so far.

#3 - DeWalt 6" ROS. Works 100% as expected.

#4 - A Ryobi 1/4" collet router/router table combination. I've since upgraded to a Freud 1700, but the little Ryobi router/table works like a champ for the things I've used it for.

#5 - Hitachi $199.00 (from Lowe's) contractor table saw. 99% satisfied. The only "bug" is the non-3/4" miter slot.

skip coyne
07-13-2007, 8:50 AM
Ez smart CSGS exceeded my expectations was a good investment for me ..

husky x sawhorse . handy portable

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100397815

Mark Ball
07-13-2007, 9:01 AM
I bought the Bosch Colt palm router and use it all the time. One of the best $99 I have spent

Al Willits
07-13-2007, 9:01 AM
The Kerg pocket hole system would be one, along with the PC biscuit cutter, along with the wire feed welder, sharp paint gun, Dewalt jig saw, and my table top drill press, made in Taiwan...something they made that actually has some quality to it.

I'd of said the EZ also, but I was disapointed in the square and I would have added a 24 or 36" guide bar to the set, so I was not a 100% happy with it, but it does work well to cut a straight line.

Actually have a lot of tools I'm happy with, but its taken years to get there.

Al

Forgot about the Bosch router, it is a nice little tool..

Larry Fox
07-13-2007, 9:09 AM
My DJ-20 that I picked up used from a fellow Creeker in VA. Love that thing.

That said, like Al, I have a lot of tools that I am happy with but it look a long time to get there.

Don Orr
07-13-2007, 9:12 AM
I really like my Rigid 14v cordless dril/driver. Got the tool, 2 batteries, dual fast charger and case for about $70 a while back-some kind of closeout/demo model. Use it all the time ! Love the one handed keyless chuck. I have lots of tools that work very well, but this one really pulls its weight and then some!

John Piwaron
07-13-2007, 9:17 AM
The Delta DJ-20. Perfect right out of the box. My big PC plunge router. A real King Kong.

The Leigh D4 dovetail jig. Wow, completely wonderful.

There's more. More than I can mention. The good tool purchases I've made far outnumber the bad.

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 9:36 AM
Hands down, best thing I've added to the shop.

I bought one for my DJ20, another for my PM 209 20" (wasn't available as an upgrade when I bought mine). Had them for 4 months now... can't stop looking for lumber to pass through them. Knowing that the neighbors don't have put in their earplugs is a great plus.

Mark Valsi
07-13-2007, 9:45 AM
Festool !!!

Allen Bookout
07-13-2007, 9:48 AM
Sharpe T1 pressure pot HVLP spray gun setup.

David G Baker
07-13-2007, 9:49 AM
I am with Al on the Kreg Pocket hole system as one of my best purchases. My second best purchase was 7-each 8 drawer card file cabinets from a surplus place to store my tools and supplies in. It gives me 56 drawers to store all sort of items. Getting older makes it difficult to find some of the things that I need, now all I have to do is search the drawers and find it every time. For tools the cabinets are much better than Snap-On tool cabinets for items that are small enough to fit. Those Rubbermaid drawer dividers fit nicely in the drawers for storing small parts.

John Timberlake
07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
My best purchase was a DeWalt DW-746 table saw with 52" extension and sliding table. Big jump from the 9" 1970's Sears, but have not run into anything it won't do. Does crosscut, ripping, dado, even molding head with ease.

I also like the DeWalt table saw blades. Clean cut, low noise, stay sharp a long time.

Matt Meiser
07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
My list:

Festool sander & vac (other than the part about trying to concince my wife I needed a $600 sander and vacuum)
Lie-Nielsen rabbet block plane and No. 4 bench plane. Worked great out of the box and taught me how a plane should work so that I was willing and able to tune up my other planes.
Dewalt DW618 router kit. Works smooth, plenty of power, only one I need.
Bessey K-Body clamps
Not a woodworking tool, but my Hobart MIG welder which makes me look like a good welder--the wire feed works much better than the high end brand my dad bought several years ago for 3X the price.There are many other examples, but these are some fairly expensive tools that I haven't regretted one bit.

Ken Werner
07-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Wenzloff dovetail saw.

Brian Penning
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
-My General Int'l Cabinet saw(50-250). Couldn't be happier with this machine.

Justin McCurdy
07-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I don' know if I will ever be absolutely happy with a tool. I am usually satisfied with finding a good price on a tool that has most of the features that I need. I usually look for the tools that give me most of the features of the absolute top of the line(that I will actually use), without needing to pay for the top of the line.

Bosch circular saw CS10
Bosch jigsaw 1590EVS
Steel City Table Saw 3HP
Rockler magnetic push stick
Bosch 2 1/4HP 1617EVS routers
Porter Cable 555 Biscuit joiner
All Whiteside router bits (thanks Holbren)
15 packs of Columbian clamps from Woodcraft
INCRA V27 miter gauge
Delta mobile base 50-281 for my table saw
Makita 1214FL miter saw
Ryobi 12" miter saw (most used tool besides my Ryobi drill)
Ryobi 18v drill (I've drilled enough holes to build a house with this)
Rigid Oscillating spindle sander
Milwaukee 3x24 belt sander (1981 model)
Dewalt 5" random orbital sander
Skil reciprocating saw ($35 and outperforms much larger and more expensive saws)
Jet 1200cfm Dust collector (All I need now is the cannister upgrade)
JDS 800cfm air filter
All my Bessey clamps

Art Mann
07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
What a great idea for a thread! This is at least as valuable as the "bad tool purchase" thread. Here is my list of tools that exceeded my expectations.

1) Ridgid TP1300LS thickness planer. I had always used heavy (and expensive) cast iron planers belonging to someone else. I found the Ridgid to be more accurate and leave a better finish than any of the others. It is also much easier to maintain. I can put up with louder and slower in order to get excellent, reliable output for $349.

2) Bosch 1590 jigsaw. After using half a dozen lesser jigsaws over the years, I found this saw to outperform them all by a wide margin. This tool is a pleasure to use. Power, stability, accuracy, ergonomics - it has it all.

3) Dewalt 618 three base router kit. I have Craftsman, Freud, Hitachi and Dewalt routers of various sizes. The Dewalt is by far the best designed and easiest to use for handheld use.

4) Hitachi M12V router. I know I just bragged on the Dewalt, but the big Hitachi router has been an outstanding performer in my router table for a very low price - $129. Unfortunately, this model is no longer available.

5) Ridgid 10", 90 tooth crosscut tablesaw blade. I didn't know just how good a finish cut could be until I bought this blade for $69. I don't think you can get a better crosscut from any blade at any price. By definition, perfection can't be improved upon.

6) Ryobi 18V impact driver. Yep, I know Ryobi is not at the top of the quality list. However, I bought this thing a year ago to drive deck screws. I think I paid $59 on sale. I have used it continuously since then and it has all the power and control I need to drive fasteners of all sizes. I just don't use a screw or nut driver anymore. The batteries hold up fairly well also.

I have a lot of other good tools that I like a lot, but they merely met my expectations, and did not exceed them.

Mark Carlson
07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Some tools that pop to mind:

General 650 cabinet saw
Festool Ct22 vac
Incra LS positioner
Byrd Head for jointer

Rick Gooden
07-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Those that exceeded my expectations: Dowelmax, Bosch Jig Saw, Bosch Colt router, and Gripper. (Many things I would give up, but not my gripper)

scott spencer
07-13-2007, 10:53 AM
I've got alot of tools that work well that I'm pleased with, but I get extra pleasure from those that were steeply discounted....I suppose the more I pay, the more I expect so it's hard to exceed some expectations, though I'm happy when I'm just "satisfied". Here's my list of purchases that I'm particularly happy with for the price paid that exceeded expectations...basically my "gloat" list, excluding gifts and freebies.

22124 hybrid saw for $594 w/free delivery
FT1700 router for $95 shipped
LU88 60T TK blade for $27 shipped
Leitz/Irwin 24T TK FTG ripper for $10
MW5625 router for $198 shipped
WWII 30T TK blade for $64 shipped
Northern Tool hand chisel set for $8 shipped
Incra V27 for $42
21400 12" BS for $190
Delta 22-580 for $229
Whiteside roundover set for $55 shipped
Ridge Carbide TS2000 40T TK for $57 shipped
HF Pittsburg bar clamps for $2-$4 each

Wilbur Pan
07-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Rikon 10" jointer/planer combo machine. Unfortunately, it's no longer being made.

Don Bullock
07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I have some great tools that really do the job I needed them for. Instead of listing all like Justin did (great list Justin) I'll just mention a few here.

First has to be my SawStop and Incra fence. When compared to my old Craftsman it's fantastic! Setting it up and cutting wood is easy. The Incra fence adds accuracy and repeatability. Yes I'm being dilligent in the use of my push sticks with the SawStop.:D
An Hatachi SCMS that someone here found on Amazon for one of those "special" low prices is a fantastic tool. I wouldn't have it if I hadn't jumped on that deal. This saw was accurate right out of the box (from the way that Amazon shipped it, I'm surprised that it actually stayed in the box:eek: ). My wife is still amazed at the "deal" we got on that one. It's more than paid for itself in the few projects that I've used it for in the past few months. I placed it on a Ryobi stand that is great, especially for the price.
Steel centering rules. I realize that these aren't "high priced" power tools, but they sure make life easier when trying to find the center of something. I've used them to measure wood as well as hang pictures.My Bosch 5" 1295DVSK sander would have been on this list, but it quit on me this week :mad: (the topic of another post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61461#post620542) and hopefully will be repaired. I was very pleased with the sanding job it was doing on my projects before it stopped working. Hopefully the Bosch Service Center that I took it to will get it running and it will be reliable. I may have to try to duplicate Matt's conversation with his wife. Somehow I don't think that I can use the videos like I did with the SawStop.;)

Festool sander & vac (other than the part about trying to concince my wife I needed a $600 sander and vacuum)....

Jim O'Dell
07-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Most recently the 12" handscrew clamps I got from HF, coupon priced at 4.99 each. In the past, my Clear Vue cyclone is aswome, and I just get tickled evertime I use my Delta 17-9XX (? can't remember) drill press. 17-965 I think...Jim.

David Weaver
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Everything Lie-Nielsen, Old Stanley and Disston has worked 100%. You'd have to wonder how they wouldn't - but I like the way all of them feel.

Hirsch chisels - aside from the handles.

PC 7518 table router (at least it's in a table)

Everything Starrett and Mitutoyo.

Andrew Williams
07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
. Sawstop
. General Canadian Drill Press
. All of my Veritas planes
. Iyoroi chisels
. Ray Iles mortise chisels
. Dowelmax
. Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill
. Bosch jigsaw and hammer drill
. Pax Handsaws

Robert Mayer
07-13-2007, 11:38 AM
-Dowelmax for sure.
-My 2 tall craftsman tool chests, i store everything in them. cant beat em for about $250.
-Dewalt dual base router.

skip coyne
07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Ryobi 18V impact driver. Yep, I know Ryobi is not at the top of the quality list. However, I bought this thing a year ago to drive deck screws. I think I paid $59 on sale. I have used it continuously since then and it has all the power and control I need to drive fasteners of all sizes. I just don't use a screw or nut driver anymore. The batteries hold up fairly well also.

Ive seen a lot of good comments on the impact driver, I don't have one ....YET

I am happy with my Ryobi 18volt cordless in general..lots of bang for the buck they have exceeded my expections

Brad Townsend
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I have lots of woodworking tools I could mention, but the one tool I have that puts a smile on my face every time I use it is my Simplicity garden tractor.

Bill Huber
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I am very happy with most of my tools but there are a few that I would just hate to give up.

The DowelMax, it sure makes things easy, its high priced but worth it to me.

My Accusquare from Mule, maybe not the best fence out there but for my 54 year old Craftman it is the best.

My Digital caliper, I don't know what I would do with out it.

The Ridgid T1300 planer, great machine for the price and make a smooth cut.

All of my Bosch power tools, router, palm router, jig saw are all great. They handle very nice and do the job I ask them to do very well.

Bill Wyko
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
JET Mini lathe, that little animal is a work horse. I would recomend it to anyone getting started in turning.
JET 1442VS lathe, definatly the next step when you graduate from the mini
Porter Cable 3 hp router. You could burry that thing in the sand and it would still work perfectly.
Powermatic table saw. For 699.00 it's a real work horse and a great 52" fence.
Powermatic drill press w/ lazar pointer. That thing should win awards for its quality and capabilities.
This should have been at the top of the list. Crown Pro PM turning tools. They stay sharp and are top quality.
Jet 22-44 drum sander. I couldn't do what I do with out it.
My other table saw is a JET at my shop. 8 years running in daily use and I've never even changed a belt.
If I keep going this could take a while.:D

Ralph Okonieski
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Two tools that have upgraded my capabilities, much beyond my skiill level.

1) Kreg pocket hole system. For the money, it is at the top of my best values.

2) I struggled a long time with the decision whether to purchase a Festool Multi-Function Table (MFT) when I bought their circular saw. After using the MFT for only a few months, it is number two on my list in terms of best value. My shop is very small and my workbench has limited ability to clamp and hold pieces firmly. The MFT has solved this problem for me plus providing a nice flat area for working. It may not have as much value to others with nicer workbenches and larger shops but more me it is now the heart of my shop. The quality of my work has improved an order of magnitude at least. The other Festool tools are nice but this is the best for me.

Mike Henderson
07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Biesemeyer Commercial fence that I added to my table saw.

Bosch 4212L compound miter saw.

PC 890 Router.

All of my Pfeil carving tools.

LN low angle block plane. The chisels are good, also, but expensive.

Dewalt 18V portable drill. Had it a long time and it's always worked well.

Bessey clamps in all sizes but the 12" and 24" get the most use.

Mike

Jim Chilenski
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm going to go against the norm in the 'Bad Tools' thread and say my Rockler Dovetail Jig. :eek: I would say that for the money it was the perfect dovetail jig for making kitchen cabinet drawers. I had bought the original model with the two piece ends stops and later upgraded it to the one piece stops. Once it was setup, which wasn't difficult, it cut perfect blind dovetails in 1/2" maple drawer sides and fronts. It is simple to use, cuts both the pins and the sockets in one pass, and its accurate. Never had a problem with it.

But its not intended to be used for anything but uniform half blind dovetails.

Jim

Nancy Laird
07-13-2007, 1:17 PM
Great thread!!

Delta Unisaw with 50" Bies fence
Steel City 6" wedge-bed jointer
Steel City 15" planer
Delta 13-pin boring machine
Hinge boring machine
Delta drill press
Hitachi BIG bandsaw with 3" blade
WoodTek midi-lathe
DeWalt 20" scroll saw
WoodTek 6x89 oscillating edge sander
WoodTek 25" dual-drum sander
Makita impact drivers, drill-drivers
PC biscuit joiners
ALL of the Bessey clamps

I could go on and on and on, but I don't think there's a tool or machine in our shop that hasn't been good. Of course, it helps that LOML sells tools and machines for a living, so he knows what to get before he buys it.

Nancy

Earl Reid
07-13-2007, 1:40 PM
My Dubby is # 1 by far. I can also say that I am quite happy with most all my tools;)

Earl

Rob Wright
07-13-2007, 1:54 PM
Kreg Jig

14v DeWalt Impact Driver - I could not live without it!

Bad Dog Tools Rover Bits and Standard Bits - Picked up both of these at a WW show three years ago. Still haven't broken or dulled form my (ab)use!

Fuji Q3 HVLP Sprayer - I don't dread finishing now (as much)

Dewalt 735 Planer - 3+ years old - got it the first time I saw it at Woodcraft - still on the original blades

Porter Cable 690 D-Handle router

Marples Blue Chip chisels - for the price they take my abuse very well and are easy to hone.

Art Mulder
07-13-2007, 1:57 PM
Hello,
I thought a good companion to the bad tool thread would be one for "good tools". Not so much the obvious, but ones that worked out exactly as planned or better than planned.

My list:
#1 is the Kreg pocket hole jig.

I've noticed a few people posting lists of "tools that they really like". But for me, the requirement of "100% satisfied" makes this actually a very tough list.

Sure, I like my GI table saw, I think it is great. Ditto my Hitachi M12V router. And my Delta x5 Six inch jointer. But have I never had any problems with them? Whether through design or through my own fault? Really? One-hundred-point-zero-zero percent satisfied? Well... no.

So actually the list is pretty short...

- I agree, the Kreg K3 has done exactly what I expected, and worked great.
- And it's a pretty simple tool, which is why my Hitachi 12v cordless drill also fits on this list.
- Oh yeah... my DW735 planer. Yeah, it's heavy, but I knew that when I bought it, so it doesn't count.

Sorry, nothing that outlandish.

ttfn
...art

(Heck, even my hammer doesn't fall into this category. OW! Darn thing, stay away from my thumb! :rolleyes: )

Grant Lasson
07-13-2007, 2:00 PM
#4 LN #4 Smoother, LA block
#3 LV LA Jack and Jointer
#2 Digital scales for Woodrat, ornamental mill, and planer
#1 Woodrat ;)

The hand planes put a smile on my face whenever I use them. Isn't that what a hobby is supposed to do?

The digital scales speed things up and dramatically reduce frustration. I plan on putting them on anything that moves!

Finally, the woodrat encourages me to do joinery that I otherwise wouldn't have time to execute. Dovetail big case work--no problem. Sliding dovetails--no problem. Multiple tenons--no problem.

I'd love to list my ornamental mill as a favorite. It will be some day; however, I'm still working through too many deficiencies. Right now it's a time sink.

Kirk Poore
07-13-2007, 2:08 PM
I've bought the vast majority of my machines as restoration projects. After the restorations, these are the best:

Powermatic 65 tablesaw (1959)--Got this as a wreck for $240. $650 later (new motor, controls, paint, and various other bits) the step up from the Craftsman saw I was using is still amazing. Teamed with the Woodcraft tenon jig (which itself has exceeded all expectation), it's opened up a whole new class of joints.

Hall & Brown 30" bandsaw (~1915): All the power and space I'll ever need in a bandsaw--I never run into the casting when cutting a large curve, the table supports every board I've tried, and it cuts tight curves in 4" oak without any strain. Still needs some more tuneup and a new top tire, so it will only get better.

Rockwell LD Shaper (1974): I had used router tables of various sizes, and not been too impressed. I bought a big shaper to restore, and the idea of using it without any training or knowing what I was doing was intimidating, to say the least. So I bought this from a friend as sort of a "training wheels" shaper. But it has a 1 hp motor, and I added a shelf and wood feet to cut down on the rattlely cabinet. Since trying it out, the templates and hold-down jigs have been multiplying almost as fast as the sets of 3-wing cutters, rub collars, spacers, and bushings I've needed on projects.

Greenlee 227 autofeed mortiser (1928): Sure it's overkill. But the sheer gizmosity of using an autofeed mortiser with a compound table makes this the funnest tool in the shop.

Oliver 399 18" planer (1951): I bought this to do the heavy planing on wide boards after I wore out my Delta 22-560. I figured I'd use my Dewalt 734 for finish planing. The Oliver does such a good job that the 734 has been relegated to planing small pieces or when I've only got one or two boards to plane and it's quicker to set up than the Oliver (both have to sit against the wall in my garage). And it was easy to restore. Oliver sure built this right.

Kirk Poore

Jim Nardi
07-13-2007, 2:10 PM
The best tools I have is the 6" Metabo sander it makes sanding so quick and swirl free. I've sanded quite a few staircases and edged alot of flooring has it running for 8 hours a day quite a few times. Makita 12" CMS been going strong for 5+ years now. Ridgid bandsaw for 240 bucks was a deal. Hitachi Hammer drills both 3/8 and 1/2" can't be killed I've heated both drill's up till you couldn't hold onto the case drilling holes in Cement.

Tom Young
07-13-2007, 2:39 PM
Not in any particular order, the tools that have met or exceeded my expectations.

Lie Nielson #100 Block Plane
Lie Nielson Rabbetting Block Plane. No comment really required about the LNs. They lived up to the hype and just work well.

Stanley #4 from eBay
Stanley#7 from eBay
I reach for these planes all the time. With no jointer that #7 comes in very handy. The price was right too.

Lee Valley Saddle Square. Until I bought this, I never could get the lines to meet on the adjacent face of a board. :D

Set of Marples Chisels. Cheap and they stay sharp.

Bessey Clamps. What a difference they make in clamping panels.

PM701 Powermatic Hollow Mortiser. It does one thing very well.

PM64A Tablesaw. The first real power tool I ever bought. I've had no regrets. It is the mainstay of my shop, for now.

Grizzly G0513X Bandsaw. I love this saw. It is gaining on the tablesaw as my go to power tool.

Tom

James Carmichael
07-13-2007, 2:48 PM
Ridgid jointer, planer, and bandsaw, all $149 closeouts. I'm less enamoured of the bandsaw since aquiring a tablesaw. These are all firsts for me, so nothing to compare performance to, but the planer rocks, IMO. Zero snipe and very nice finishes.

Jessem MitrExcel

Makita LS1221 CMS. No slide & no laser, but I love it.

DeWalt 12v Impact Driver. I could live without all of my cordless tools except this one.

#1: Tashiro hardware Zeta saw with joint blade.

Hal Flynt
07-13-2007, 3:06 PM
30 years of “collecting”

PM 66
Rikon 18” Bandsaw
Dewalt 621 Router
Bosch 1590 EVS
Jointech Cabinet Maker Router Table System

These are at or very near 100%

Brian Clevenger
07-13-2007, 3:13 PM
My favorite tools, and the ones that surprised me the most are oldies but goodies.

1938 Delta 10" band saw.
1947 Delta 12" band saw.
1964? Powermatic 1150 Drill press
1968? 10" Rockwell RAS

Those tools should last for several lifetimes.

Of my newer tools.

Bosch 1617evs router kit.
Bosch 12v Impactor
JET vs mini lathe. What a little monster.
Big Johnson 25' tape measure

John Gornall
07-13-2007, 3:35 PM
I found it a great deal of fun to think back on tools in trying to answer this question.

There's old tools like the hammer that my Dad gave me when I was a boy more than 50 years ago which still does hammer things as well as any hammer but also provides a lot of good memories when I use it.

There are brand new tools such as my Nova 1624 lathe which I got last month and has been wonderfull fun but over time will the memories still be good - I hope so.

And there are those old faithfulls of the past 20 years that have done so darn much satisfying work, Makita 9.6 volt drills all 5 of them that just keep on working everyday, Delta Unisaw new in '92, and my CTD double miter saw which just sits there against the wall and cuts 2 perfect 45 miter cuts everytime I step on the pedal and has never asked for a repair.

And of course my Starrett combination square used more than any other tool.

glenn bradley
07-13-2007, 3:51 PM
I'll list some surprises; unlike my PC plate joiner or a DW735 or a PC690 where you know exactly what you're getting. Thanks to the folks on this forum I have been delighted with:

Bosch jigsaw and ROS (WOW, a jigsaw is a 'real' tool)
Veritas saddle square (so simple and so useful)
Glue-bot (again, cheap and great design)
Bessey clamps (Duh)
Milwaukee routers (Smooth and powerful)
Biesemeyer fence (Duh)
Whiteside bits (stay sharper longer, it seems)
Freud blades (Duh)

I'm sure there are more but these particular items, from a few dollars to hundreds, were a surprise. They were also an education as to how careful tool research and selection can yield a real pleasure in your hands.

Bill Wyko
07-13-2007, 4:00 PM
Oh Yea, I almost forgot. All the Woodpecker billet aluminum clamps and squares. That stuff is so nice I hate to even use it.......until I use it.:D Then I realize I wouldn't want to use anything else.:rolleyes:

P.S. tool makers better pay close attetnion to threads like this. These could make or break them.:eek:

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2007, 4:21 PM
My most fun tool to use is the router table setup - 3hp router, lift, and Incra fence. Man I love that Incra fence. I love its precision and functionality and routing is just plain fun!

The Smoothest and most satisfying tool I use is my cabinet saw. I think anyone that uses a finely tuned table/contractor/cabinet saw knows exactly what I mean here. Cutting perfect burn free straight wood with zero effort is simply satisfying. Learning the techniques for using this saw has made it my favorite Good tool purchase.

Don Taylor
07-13-2007, 5:08 PM
Ditto on the DowelMax! It's the first thing I think of when I plan a shop project.

Festool:
FastFix cordless drill TDK 15.6 Set, includes right angle and eccentric chucks.

Mobile dust extractor CT 33 E HEPA

Portable circular plunge-cut saw TS 55 EQ

Pendulum jigsaw TRION PS 300 EQ

Plunge router OF 1400 EQ

5 dual mode sander RO 125 FEQ

Orbital sander RS 400 EQ

Linear sander Duplex LS 130 EQ

Gear-driven detail sander Deltex DX 93 E

Guide rail, FS 1400/2, Length 55 (1400 mm)

Guide rail, FS 3000/2, Length 118 (3000 mm)

These tools are the staples of my shop. Without them I would have to close the doors for good. I have a respiratory disability that will not allow me to man handle large pieces of wood on the table saw. Saw dust is another problem for me.
I haven't run on to anything yet that I haven't been able to do with this system. They simply work.

No sawdust, light, powerful and dead on accurate.

One thing I learned very quickly, no matter what size the box, if you cut both sides (tops, bottoms etc.) out at the same time, it's difficult to make a mistake.

DT

Gary Keedwell
07-13-2007, 5:46 PM
I have a few tools that have worked out great.
Bosch 1582 VS Jig Saw ....still going strong after 14 years.
Starrett Combo Sq.....use it every day.
Wixey gage....What a surprise.
TDK 15.6 cordless drill
ETS 150/3 EQ. ....Only had it couple of months and like it so far
CT 22 same as above.
Veritas Optical Center punch......I love this little thing.....Line up the X mark you make with scribe or pencil with the magnifying glass...replace with the punch and you just hit youe mark perfect.
I have more but these really stand out for me.

Gary K.

Wes Bischel
07-13-2007, 6:33 PM
My favorite tool is my old Craftsman power hacksaw. It is a hoot to watch.:D

Wes

Gary Keedwell
07-13-2007, 6:41 PM
My favorite tool is my old Craftsman power hacksaw. It is a hoot to watch.:D

Wes
Ok. Somebody has to ask: Who do you watch?:rolleyes:

Gary K.

Jason Boushard
07-13-2007, 7:07 PM
my new bosch jigsaw, and my dewalt impact driver had the driver for a bit it was a gift man this thing dosen't quit.

Doug Mason
07-13-2007, 7:16 PM
The Fein turbo vac--use it everytime I'm in the shop.

Dan Drager
07-13-2007, 7:31 PM
I have to say, my G444Z Grizzly Contractor Table Saw FAR exceeded my expectations. I have had it for 3 years now and still LOVE IT> I check it for accuracy before each project and I have NEVER had to adjust in from it's original set up. I run a WWII and can go right from the saw to glue up. I know it is not Saw stop or PM2000, but you couldn't tell the difference in the work at the end of the day.

For the price, it is most likely the best buy I have ever made.

Wes Bischel
07-13-2007, 9:02 PM
Ok. Somebody has to ask: Who do you watch?:rolleyes:

Gary K.

Just the machine - the stock is clamped in place, the blade arm lowered onto it, and turn it on. It turns itself off when the cut is done. Just imagine a mechanical hacksaw built by Rube Goldberg.:D

Wes

Gary Keedwell
07-13-2007, 9:35 PM
Just the machine - the stock is clamped in place, the blade arm lowered onto it, and turn it on. It turns itself off when the cut is done. Just imagine a mechanical hacksaw built by Rube Goldberg.:D

WesOK. Now I get it. It's clamped and power fed.:rolleyes: :)

Gary K.

Steve Rowe
07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Interesting thread. I have a number of tools that I am very happy with. I believe there is some distinction between a tool working 100% as expected versus one that I am 100% satisfied with. Several tools, I would classify in the 99%+ category and are not listed below. The ones that I would classify as 100% satisfied (meaning that I would change nothing about the tool) are:
1) Oneway 1640 lathe
2) Oneway Mastergauge
3) Festool ETS 150/3 sander with CT22 dust extractor
4) Veritas bevel gage

Steve

Jim Becker
07-14-2007, 7:14 AM
Easy for me...my Stubby 750 lathe, my MiniMax slider, J/P and bandsaw, and every single piece of Festool I currently own.

Glenn Clabo
07-14-2007, 7:41 AM
Ez Smart CSGS ...haven't used the TS for a long time.
Kreg pocket hole tool...use it everywhere.
WoodRat...still exploring...but it's amazing.

Joe Mioux
07-14-2007, 9:49 AM
I really enjoy using my Pfeil chisels. There is a night and day difference between them and my Marples, which I use and like, just not as much as the Pfeils.

The Kreg Jig is just a great and relatively inexpensive tool that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

My new MM FS30 j/p, is still in the testing phase, but from what I have seen so far, I am really going to enjoy this machine.

Joe

Joe Jensen
07-14-2007, 5:19 PM
Here's my list, rather long

Exceeded Expectations;
1) Festool RS2-E
2) Festool RO150
3) Festool RTS400
4) Festool TS75
5) Bosch PS20 pocket driver
6) SawStop
7) 14" Dewalt RAS circa 1980'ish
8) Byrd head for planer
9) WAP (Now Alto) Drywaller Vac ***** AMAZING

Met Expecations:
1) Pansonic NiMH 15.6V driver drill
2) Panasonic 12V NiMH Impact Driver
3) 1990 Powermatic Model 60 jointer
4) 1990 Powermatic Model 100 planer
5) 1990 Powermatic Model 26 Shaper
6) Oneida Super Gorilla 2HP DC
7) 1990'ish Porter Cable 536 Routers
8) Magi Steff 8 speed 1HP power feeder

Richard Keller
07-14-2007, 6:29 PM
If I had to start over, I'd have pretty much the same stuff, although I've traded a few in over the last few years.

1. LN Butt Mortise Plane - I bought it thinking if it was half as good as it sounded, it would be awsome. It was at least twice as good.

2. DW621 - Best plunge router for free hand work ever.

3. LN block plane - if you've never used a real plane, not just a cheapie, you are really, really missing out.

4. All the old Wadkin stationary equipment I've bought at auctions. 1000-2000 pound machines do NOT vibrate. :-)

5. Byrd cutter head for the jointer - goodbye tear out.

6. Gripper. Dad bought a pair for me. I wouldn't have spent 80 clams for a push block, until I used them. Now I can't put them down.

Richard Keller
07-14-2007, 6:31 PM
Yeah, I don't think I could be without my Fein vac either. Makes sanding almost (hack cough) enjoy--- (cough) able. :-)

Michael Schwartz
07-14-2007, 6:48 PM
My K3 Master system (Pocket Hole)

All of the EZ Smart Gear from Eurekazone

Lie Neilson Low angle Jack.

Hilti 267-E circualr Saw

Porter Cable 343k 3 amp single speed random orbit sander (60 bucks at the borg) Nothing Fancy = No BS. Works great, doesn't leave swirl marks, really well made.

List goes on and on.

Joseph N. Myers
07-14-2007, 7:02 PM
Kreg Pocket Hole System

All of the EZ Smart Stuff form Eurekazone

Regards, Joe

Jeffrey Schronce
07-14-2007, 9:26 PM
LN Low Angle Adjust Mouth Block Plane. I debated entering the world of hand tools for soooo long and finally bought the above cited. As others have noted in this thread it is great to have an awesome plane that works out of the box, is easy to comprehend and encourages hand tool use.

K-Body clamps are my babies.

I have been very happy with Festool CT Midi dust extractor. The Domino did not really exceed my expectations as I expected a lot out of it. Dont get me wrong, its a great tool but IMHO it only lives up to the hype, does not exceed it. But the CT Midi with my Bosch 1295 ROSs has been great.

Bosch 1617 router combos have worked well though the switches have been replaced in all of them.

Iturra Woodslicer 3/4" BS blade REALLY exceeded expectation and is a heck of a great value!

Eugene A. Manzo III
07-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I love ALL of my Ridgid Tools TS3650, TS2400, Jointer, Drill Press,
Planer, Miter saw Stand with a 10" Bosch scms on it and Combo Router Kit.
I have DeWalt cordless drills and Makita Driver. Rockler Router Table
with FX lift and PC vari spd 694 router.

We are very lucky to have so many Quality tools to pick from !!!
My shop looks like Haloween with a rainbow around it :D

I also have a Black and decker drill attachment kit that is awsome.

Bob Childress
07-15-2007, 12:38 PM
A really interesting thread! Got me to thinking about tools I've had over the years. Meeting expectations is one thing: all my Festool gear meets expectations except the CT22, which exceeds them. But then they should, that's why I bought 'em. It's the surprises that make it fun sometimes, and not always expensive stuff either.

Home run hitters for me:

Bosch 1591 jigsaw. A real winner.
Square drive screws--no more cam out and head stripping.
No-name thingamajig that telescopes with a magnet on the end--$2.00 and how did I live without it?
DeWalt battery-powered finish nailer--way better and more useful than I expected.
Rockler shelf-hole drilling jig--cheap, easy, fast, and accurate.
Delta crown staple gun--$49 and works like a charm.
Festool Toolie--Most-used Festool in the shop, I think. :D

There are no doubt others I will think of later.

Peter West
07-15-2007, 1:58 PM
My Hitachi M12V2 (1/2") Router
My Trend T5 (1/4") Router
My Triton CS
All my EZ tools.
A Drill press I bought in a sale
A small 3.5V cordless screwdriver I bought from a store called B&Q in the UK (their own brand) - only cost $18 and is as good as the expensive ones.

I don't have any other tools - I got rid of my Radial Arm Saw and my Scheppach TS4010 when I started using the EZ stuff as they became redundant very quickly and just took up space.

Matt Chantry
07-15-2007, 1:59 PM
The LN planes and backsaws go without saying, as does the Festool sander and my Japanese chisels and saws.

The ones that are a surprise are the Grex 21ga. pin nailer and the JacPac CO2 nailing kit. For doing finish trim, these are unbeatable.

M

Chris Barton
07-15-2007, 2:22 PM
Here are a couple of my picks...

Adam Burgess
07-15-2007, 10:01 PM
My #1 has got to be my Biesemeyer fence, the delta saw I bought with it is so so. Second is my PC cordless 18 ga gun, more of a job site tool for the small amount trim I do, but I'm not dragging around a compressor. In a tie for 3rd is all the rest of my Porter Cable stuff, you really can't beat the quality price ratio.

John Schreiber
07-16-2007, 2:18 AM
Great thread.

Craftsman power drill. Still going strong after almost 30 years.

Stanley Eggbeater hand drill. Inherited from a grandfather in law because nobody else wanted it. Rosewood handles and artfully curved spokes. I use it often, maybe that's why the old Craftsman is still going strong.

Marples Blue Chip chisels. There are probably better ones out there, but these have been reliable winners for me.

Stanley #5C. A flee market find that is older than my father, but it just works beautifully.

Stanley Combination Square. I'm sure a Starrett somehow would be better, but my Stanley has been dead accurate every time.

Self made carving knives. From either old chisels or straight razors and found wood. They fit my hand like they were made for me (because they were) and they give me joy to hold.

Rod Sheridan
07-16-2007, 8:54 AM
General 650 saw

Oneida cyclone

Bessey K Body clamps

Sorby Mortise Chisels

LV Scraping plane and shoulder plane

Shaper

Regards, Rod.

jeremy levine
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
A quick look puts the Kreg Jigs way high on the list.

Jamie Smith
08-17-2007, 3:48 PM
Great thread!

Things that have truly exceeded my expectations:
Paslode impact finish nailer
Jet 18" Bandsaw- I don't use it all that often, but when I do, I love it!
Fein Turbo IISome others that I wouldn't want to do without:
Jet tablesaw
Dewalt 12" scms
Jet DC w/ canister retrofitAnd, two that someday I may actually learn to use:
Powermatic 54a jointer
Leigh D4 w/ a MMT attachment

mike roe
08-17-2007, 4:03 PM
bench dog offset router table

i didnt have the time or skills then to build one myself. i was able to my whole kitchen of doors with just that and a circular saw.

Tom Cowie
08-17-2007, 4:32 PM
Dewalt 708 SCMS and Festool TS-75. They make a great team.

Tom

Gary Muto
08-17-2007, 5:02 PM
Most used tools becasue they are so easy to use
Delta Cabinet saw
craftsman router table that came with a 1˝ hp router. For all of those small jobs.
PC 250 finish nailer
PC 333 RO sander so much better than my 1/3 and ˝ sheet sanders
Craftsman 3/8" VSR reversible drill
Jet 650 cfm dust collector
Jet 1000 Air filter They have totally reduced my cleanup time beyond expectation.

Graham Skinner
08-17-2007, 6:00 PM
Steel city 14" bandsaw with the kreg fence.
General 75-150 drill press.(Great tool for the money).
Makita RF1011 router kit.
Norton water stones.
All of my Lee Valley stuff.
My Japanese chisels from EBAY are good as well.

Paul Canaris
08-18-2007, 7:23 AM
1. Knapp Profi Slider/Shaper
2. SAC 16" Jointer
3. Clausing Variable speed 22" drill press
4. Japanese Bench Chisels
5. Primus Smoothing Plane with blade adjustment
6. Japanese dovetail saw
7. Henry Taylor Carving Tools
8. Festool Domino
9. Leigh Dovetail Jig
10. Leigh FMT
11. Rathbone-Chestermen SS Rulers (metric)
12. Mitutoyo dial indicators
13. Starrett Straight Edges
14. Festool OF1400 Router
15. Festool Vacuum CT22
16. Festool RO125 sander
17. Machinist Squares (not woodworkers)
18. 1/4" glass and sandpaper for sharpening
19. Verital MK-II Honing guide
20. And the list goes on and on and on....

Jeez, getting tired...it would be easier to list what I dont like.:rolleyes:

Tom Clark FL
08-18-2007, 8:21 AM
Last year I was looking in the borgs for a sale on new batteries for my DeWalt cordless drills. (Yeah, right!) After looking at the $79 price tag on the batteries I noticed a Roybi corded drill with a clutch on it. Price was $39 complete, and no batteries ever needed.

Think about how often you really need a cordless tool compared to how often they are used right at your bench! The cheap little Roybi has more power than the 14v drill and never needs charging. It's always ready to go with a full head of steam! What a bargain and what a way to end the aggravation of high battery prices. Sure, I still have a couple of cordless drill for when they are needed, but now only use them for what they were designed for.

John Thompson
08-18-2007, 11:37 AM
100% reliable.. 24/7.. and the two most valuable that get the call daily!

Sanford hand crank pencil sharpener..... One of the 20 Sandvik hand scrapers I purchased when I found out Sandvik was being swallowed by Baaco.

Sarge.. john thompson

Rusty Fenn
09-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Husqvarna 394xp chainsaw- heavy smooth monster
Ridgid TS3650 Table saw-herculift that you could dance with
Makita 7 1/4 skil saw-light and tuff lasts forever
and well working in a motorbike shop I bought a Huqvarna 8mm and 10 mm
T-wrenches use them everywhere they feel smooth and faster then a ratchet-adjusting tools
Older 3hp Craftsman air compressor-My bro dropped it off the back of his pickup it was doing cartwheels down the road ouch!!:eek: A few ajustments and it's still going strong

Rusty
I can get by with crap tools but sure can feel when using the best tool

Greg Sznajdruk
09-21-2007, 1:46 PM
I am with Al on the Kreg Pocket hole system as one of my best purchases. My second best purchase was 7-each 8 drawer card file cabinets from a surplus place to store my tools and supplies in. It gives me 56 drawers to store all sort of items. Getting older makes it difficult to find some of the things that I need, now all I have to do is search the drawers and find it every time. For tools the cabinets are much better than Snap-On tool cabinets for items that are small enough to fit. Those Rubbermaid drawer dividers fit nicely in the drawers for storing small parts.

Dave:
Only one problem with storage drawers.
By the time I open the third drawer I forgot what I was looking for.

Greg

Shane Sura
09-21-2007, 7:12 PM
The Bosch 1590EVSK Jig Saw. It is an absolute joy to use and is truly one of my go to tools in the shop.

Shane

Cary Falk
09-21-2007, 8:51 PM
1970 Delta Unisaw - $400
Jet 1100A dust collector - $150
Ridgid 12 gallon shop vac - $25

Dave Malen
09-21-2007, 8:52 PM
Although I have many tools that have performed well (including the dj-20) my favorite has to be my Laguna 14se bandsaw that I upgraded with a 3hp baldor motor. Great tool for cutting veneers.

Dave

Jon Lanier
09-21-2007, 8:58 PM
My RBI Hawk G4 Scrollsaw.

Eric Sabo
09-21-2007, 9:58 PM
The LN Beveled Edge Chisels my wife gave me.

The LN Blade and Chip Breaker for my #4 and #5 planes.

Chris Zenda
10-21-2007, 10:02 PM
My Knapp TK 410 Combi.

David Tiell
10-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Bridge City AS-3 adjustable try square - perfect fit for the hand and apron pocket
LN 102 Block plane
Shop Fox W1711 cabinet saw
PC 3 1/4 hp router - indestructible!
Bridge City Japanese dovetail saw
Shop Fox W1741 8" jointer - leaps and bounds above the old Jet 6"
Jorgensen handscrews of all sizes

Lance Norris
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Grizzly Bandsaw G0457(best power tool I own)
Grizzly 1021X Planer
Starrett combination square
Black & Decker Workmate
Irwin Blue Chip Chisels
Jet 6x48 Belt Sander
Jet Parallel Clamps
Jorgensen ISD quick clamps
Merle Clamp
Delta Unisaw
Estwing Hammers(2)
Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer
Forrest WWII
Incra 1000se Miter Gauge

Leland Berry
10-22-2007, 8:14 AM
I'm new & new to all this but I'm compelled to respond with my absolutely
favorite tool is my 1/4" DeWalt impact driver-14.4volt. I was skinning steel
buildings when purchased 3 years ago for self-tapping gasketed screws
and I now use it to drive deck screws and privacy fences (yep-no nails
all screws) North of $200 was pricy but I've sunk over 20,000 screws
with it without so much as a hiccup. I chose the 14 vs 18volt because
the light weight hangs comfortably on a tool belt but will still drive apprx
150 deck screws on a charge. I've worn out 2 batteries with it and if it
ever quits, I may have it mounted.

Todd Bin
10-22-2007, 8:58 AM
Has to be my Festool MFT with the TS55. I debated buying one of these because I thought is was a lot of $$$ for what it looked like. Now I am wondering how I could justify the funds to buy a second MFT. These things are fantastic.

I also thing the Kregg pocket hole jig is great.

The hand plane I made from Bubinga with a Hock blade. Doesn't get much better than that.

Incra Guanentee'd Square (When you absolutely need something square)

Richard Magbanua
10-22-2007, 9:27 AM
My Wixie ange gauge
Craftsman 22124 table saw
Rigid 18v drill
Kreg jig
and my Jet 50" parallel clamps I got half off at Rockler earlier this year!

Mark Singer
10-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Of the bigger stuff in the last year, SawStop and the TehnoMax Elite joiner/planer from MiniMax.

On the hand tool side, Blue Spruce Chisels...

glenn bradley
10-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I'll second the Colt. Love my Milwaukee routers as well. Griz 17" BS is a lot of saw for the money. On the inexpensive side my Veritas saddle square and ruler stop get used on every project.

Michael Sloan
10-22-2007, 4:46 PM
My list of "perfect tools"

Festool 150 sander
Starrett combination square
Lee Nielsen #4 hand plane
My old wood handled screwdrivers bought at a garage sale for $0.50 each.

My list of tools that significantly exceeded expectations in terms of making me a better woodworker, and increasing my enjoyment of my hobby:

Nova DVR Lathe
Mini Max CU300S Combination machine
Fein vacuum

Jim Koepke
10-27-2007, 2:22 AM
Has to be my 1" Buck Bros bevel edge chisel. My brother picked up a bunch of chisels for me at a flea market. There were about a dozen he picked up for $20. When I was sharpening a bunch of chisels, this one was tested for sharpness by the shaving arm hair test. It felt like it was just gliding over the hair as if the edge was rounded. When it was lifted, there was a lot of hair on it and a clean patch on my arm. For some reason, this one seems to take a better edge than most of my other chisels.

Second would have to be a pair Stanley #65 block planes. These will take whispy shavings off of wood like a knife cuts butter. I bought the first one, a knuckle cap type, on eBay. The second, an early lever cap type, came in a package deal when buying another plane.

Third would have to be the bench planes. Making shavings is so satisfying, it is sometimes difficult to stop.:rolleyes:

Then the Stanley 45 & 55 planes. It is great to be able to shape or accent edges without having to make all the noise a router entails. I sometimes do work late at night. Besides the cost of all the bits to match what can be done with the planes.

Finally, is the newest power tool in the shop, the Veritas Mk.II power sharpening system. I still do a lot by hand, but when a lot of blades need work at the same time, this can speed up the job. The final grit puts a mirror polish on an edge.

Rob Luter
10-27-2007, 6:43 AM
In general..............

All my Bosch stuff (12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, Plunge Router, Palm Sander, Cordless Drill/Driver).
Hock Plane Blades
LV Low Angle Bevel Up Jack Plane
LV Medium Shoulder Plane.
Rigid TS3650There's more, but it's early and I've not finished my coffee yet.:D

Denny Rice
10-28-2007, 2:49 AM
This drill has exceded every hope I ever had for it. I bought this drill in 1988 that's right 1988! I use this drill almost everyday, I have dropped it off of RV's onto the asphalt more times than I care to remember, and I continue to pick it up and it keeps working. There must be a lot of these drills still out there because Makita is still making the battery for this drill. I have in 19 yrs had to purchase a couple of batteries and sent it out to be gone though but for 200.00 in 1988 when there wasn't many cordless drills out there this thing is a monster that will not be stopped. This drill was built in Japan, too bad there not made there anymore. I bought another Makita to keep at home and it just does not have the torque of my orginal one I purchase almost 20 yrs ago.

Jimmy Seckel
10-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Festool MFT1080
Festool C12 Drill Set
Festool OF1400 Router
Festool RO150FEQ Sander
Festool CT22 Vacuum
Festool TS55 Saw
Jointech Cabinetmaker System

Chris Gombola
10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Bosch 5" ROS
Rigid 14.4v drill
Delta 22-580 13" planer
Kreg Jig
Bosch 1619EVSK multi-base router

Vernon Taylor
10-28-2007, 8:51 PM
The best and most used tool in my shop is a 5' ruler. Use it to set my TS fence and stop on my sliding table. Eyes are not what they used to be and I find it easier to read the ruler than the cursor on the TS. I just set hr ruler in the blade gullet align the desirred measurement with the tooth edga and set the stop or fence. The 5' length is also extremly handy for other measuring tasks as well, I almost never use a tape measure.

Jeff Dolter
10-28-2007, 9:27 PM
My Kity miter gauge with 90 degree faces . Bought at a woodworking show 15 years ago when I was just starting out. I used to have a terrible time making tight fitting picture frame joints. Not anymore...every one perfect using this thing.

Bill Bryant
10-29-2007, 12:36 AM
Starrett 6" combination square
Bosch 1617ESV router
Milwaukee 14-volt cordless drill
Ridge Carbide TS2000 table saw blade
Contractor Saw PALS
power twist link belt
General International 50-050 tenoning jig

Kennedy tool chest
Winchester 9422 rifle
R. L. Allan Bible