PDA

View Full Version : Seymour Sewing Table at Winterthur

John Timberlake
07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
My wife and I went to Winterthur in Wilmington, DE a couple of weeks ago. I saw what I think is one of the prettiest pieces made by the Seymours. It is a sewing table (Plate 86 in "The Furniture Masterpieces of John and Thomas Seymour"). The tour we were taking allowed pictures (most do not) so I took some. It is very interesting that the table in the same location it was in a book I have published in 1955. It is even prettier in person.

67878 67879 67880

Mike Null
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
It is a masterpiece and beautifully proportioned.

Joel Ficke
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
John,

That is a beauty and in the same position as a photo in 1955 -- weird, but what strikes me as most unbelievable is that your were allowed to take photos in Winterthur at all. What do you have to do to get on a photo tour of that place???

John Timberlake
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
John,

That is a beauty and in the same position as a photo in 1955 -- weird, but what strikes me as most unbelievable is that your were allowed to take photos in Winterthur at all. What do you have to do to get on a photo tour of that place???

Most of the tours do not allow photos. They usually have one tour that does allow pictures. While we were there at Christmas, it was the tour showing off the entertaining at Winterthur. We also took a tour called "Focus on Furniture" which did not allow pictures but last two hours. They also have special interest tours (such as Federal furniture) that must be arranged ahead of time and cost $120 for a group of four people max.