PDA

View Full Version : Goblets again

Curt Fuller
07-12-2007, 9:43 PM
I got a commision to make a pair of goblets with celtic knots. They wanted them to match but to have the woods reversed in the goblet and knots. Man, making two things the same is really hard to do in my opinion. I turned one (the walnut one) and then tried to turn the second as close as I could. The diameters and other measurements were really close but the shapes just weren't the same. Standing alone they both turned out pretty good but side by side the differences are glaring in my eyes. I sent them this picture but haven't heard back yet. I don't think I'm ready to quit my day job.

They're Walnut with Ash knot and Ash with Walunt knot and just over 6" tall by 2" diameter.

Bonnie Campbell
07-12-2007, 9:57 PM
Wow! I think they look great! two thumbs up as far I can see :)

By the way, are the linked rings a secret process?

Pete Jordan
07-12-2007, 9:59 PM
Curt,

I am glad you keep showing us your excellent goblets!

Gary Garmar
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Great pair Curt; I have one going in Maple and Walnut for the rings. I'll post it when its done. I like both goblets, and I would tell the buyer up front that no two are exactly the same.

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Curt beautiful as usual. I really like seeing your goblets.

Neal Addy
07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Sweet! Nice work, Curt.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice work Curt! I got humbled turning the bubinga knobs for a guy in Seattle and then the spokes for Dave Richards sail boat wheel! Trying to make multiples of anything is a real challenge!

Keith Burns
07-13-2007, 8:01 AM
The "Goblet Master" strikes again !! Excellent pieces Curt !! And I mean that!:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-13-2007, 8:27 AM
Beautiful work Curt! I thought the whole idea of 'handmade' is that there will always be slight differences between pieces. Your goblets are outstanding and the couple should be extremely happy with the results! As always, very nice work!

Mike A. Smith
07-13-2007, 10:10 AM
I think they look great Curt! Making pairs of anything is a nasty business. I know that any discrepancy looks large to you, but it’s hard to find anything in the pictures. One thing, even if they were mass produced by a machine the grain and color of two different woods would make the form appear slightly different to the eye.

I really appreciate you sharing the Celtic knot procedure in an earlier thread. I have my first in progress right now and LOML thinks it’s the neatest thing she’s ever seen (guess I know where this one’s going). I’ll post pics when finished to make it official.

Don Orr
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I think they look extremely alike. Very nice job! I want to try one of these some day. I'm sure the customers will love them.

TYLER WOOD
07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I wonder if they don't look exactly the same because of the grains. You can have the same shape, but the grain look different, and your eye will perceive a difference when there is none. Just from the pic, they look darn near the same.

Mike Ramsey
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
As always, beautiful work!

Tom Sherman
07-13-2007, 3:45 PM
Curt, I think they look very nice. Great contrast the differences in shape are small I like em.

Skip Spaulding
07-13-2007, 4:39 PM
Curt, They look great to me. I did a pair of candle sticks and I sure knew where the missmatch was but with just a bowl between them they blend great. Try anything between them and your eye won't be as critical. I would love to have them setting on any of my shelves side by side! Again, Beautiful.

Jason Slutsky
07-13-2007, 4:45 PM
Gee Curt, don't stop posting these. They get better and better. The proportions are dead-on and the spindlework on the stems are excellent!

I don't think the differences are that dramatic. After all, you're not a machine!

Jason